• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What uniform to wear?

kmblondie13

I am getting married in January 2007. Was just wondering what uniform my fiance is suppose to wear. He would much rather wear Service Dress Blues, which means no bowtie. I personally know I hate the Mess Dress. I have no idea what uniform is appropriate for a wedding off base? Also, what should our groomsmen wear since it depends on the uniform?
He wants to know if he could get away with Chokers in January since the wedding is in South Texas?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
well, quite honestly, it's your wedding. I doubt anyone would would give you any grief over what your fiance wears at your wedding.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Agree. He can wear whatever he (I mean, you) want. The groomsmen generally wear somethingslightly different. For instance, I had a guy from every service except the USCG in my wedding. I wore a Sam Browne, and the other Marines did not. My two civilian dudes wore regular tuxes.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I was in the last TBS class that had to buy them. You're not missing anything. Blue/Whites look good. That's what I got married in.

RLSki

CH-53 Crewchief
Concur with the Blue/Whites. I always thought that the groom should look better than the groomsmen. I would suggest Dress Blue Alphas (metals) w/white trousers for the groom if during the summer months. It is really impressive!

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
My husband wore chokers at our February wedding in Texas. The groomsmen (all non-military) wore tuxes and our sword arch guys were in SDBs.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^^ Call me crazy and I'll probably get into trouble for saying anything ... and I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade (especially on wedding day :)) ... but different uniforms for the groom, groomsmen (military) and sword arch just seems ... well, strange. You know --- mixing whites and blues.

I've seen and been in a lot of military weddings. But that's just "me". Each to his/her own.

Congrats Kathy ... and I can't believe I'm posting on "Spouses Corner" ... and who let me "in" ... or them "out" ??? :eek:

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I thought it was cool to save money on tuxes. Plus, it was like having a very junior JCS there. It doesn't matter. Whatever you want at your wedding will be fine. Congrats.

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
A4sForever said:
^^ Call me crazy and I'll probably get into trouble for saying anything ... and I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade (especially on wedding day :)) ... but different uniforms for the groom, groomsmen (military) and sword arch just seems ... well, strange. You know --- mixing whites and blues.

We didn't actually *want* different uniforms. Our sword guys were NROTC and hadn't been issued choker whites. When we found this out (only a few days before the wedding), we decided to switch my husband to SDBs to match the sword guys... but he had been promoted the week before and not only would the uniform ladies not sew on his new rank in time, they wouldn't just sell him the stripe to have it done elsewhere. So they ended up not matching. :)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wore mess dress whites at the request of the bride and her mom. I was perfectly content wearing a normal tux, but that wasn't happening. I had John and another friend as my groomsman and they wore chokers.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Not to sound too retarded, but real quick, for the USN, what are the differences between dress whites and choker whites?

Are the dress whites just like a mess dress/tuxedo deal but white? I can't find pictures via a Yahoo search.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
DanMav1156 said:
Not to sound too retarded, but real quick, for the USN, what are the differences between dress whites and choker whites?

Are the dress whites just like a mess dress/tuxedo deal but white? I can't find pictures via a Yahoo search.

Let's see if I can get this straight ... some of this may be outdated. This was the way-it-was ... back-in-the-day. And as you can go 'round and 'round on this if you don't cross the "t's" and dot the "i's" ... pay attention:

UNIFORM%20USN%20DRESS%20WHITES%20LEE.jpg
UNIFORM%20USN%20DRESS%20WHITES%20LEE.jpg

---Dress whites ----- "Choker" Whites (i.e. no difference:))

o009.jpg
o005.jpg

--- Dinner Dress White ---- Mess Dress White (jacket)

o007.jpg
o003.jpg

---- Dinner Dress Blue
----Mess Dress Blue (jacket)

I'm exhausted. Time for limes. If it's wrong ... Sue me ....

helo_wifey

A4s...that actually helped me a lot. Thanks for posting pics. I could ask the ole ball and chain half a dozen times, what was what...but now its clear! :)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I (and my groomsmen) wore Chokers w/ Medals...

A4's... questions for ya... with the chokers (and dress blues)... with big medals, its Full Dress; with mini-medals, its dinner dress; and with ribbons, its service dress, right?