• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to Learn Before Heading to OCS

cDuck28Z

Hey guys, this is my first post here but I'm sure there will be plenty more to come. I've recently graduated from PennState with a 3.01gpa in Landscape Architecture and was selected for the Naval Aviation program as a Pilot early February. I wasn’t expecting to leave for OCS for several months still, but I received a phone call from my recruiter yesterday and may be selected to ship out as early as May 27 or July 8. I’m in great physical shape and have been trying to learn everything I can before heading off to OCS. I’m looking for general advice on OCS and maybe pick up a couple hints before I leave. I know there’s a lot of information which I should learn before I leave, but I’m not sure EXACTLY what it is that I should be studying.

These are some of the Websites that I’ve been reading up on since yesterday:
- Quizlet.com/2357654/ocs-study-guyde-pt-1-flash-cards/
- manlypat.wordpress.com/2009/03/24/ocs-physical-training-guide
- usmcocs.blogspot.com
- usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blfitmale.htm
- openbah.com/marine-ocs-articles/what-should-i-know-before-i-go-to-OCS
- www.carolinamarineofficer.com/tbs.hrml
I’ve noticed that a lot of these websites are for Marine OCS. I know it’s not the same, but I figured it would be a pretty good start regardless. Any advice would be great and any tips on what to study before the end of May would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

Renegade One

None
What robav8r said...sorta...

Said another way...everything you need to know before reporting to OCS...you already know. What you don't yet know, but need to know in order to get commissioned, they will teach you. What you bring to the table...an ability to LEARN, and the fact that (by your own description) you're "in great physical shape"...will serve you well. Don't sweat "studying some just-in-time gobbledegook". Whatever you think might be important will inevitably be wrong. Just prepare your heart, mind and soul for this way of life. That's all. Welcome. :)

BDfan88

No offense, but is Landscape Architecture an actual major? I guess my chances are pretty good then since I'll be graduating with a degree in chemical engineering with the same gpa.

MasterBates

No offense, but is Landscape Architecture an actual major? I guess my chances are pretty good then since I'll be graduating with a degree in chemical engineering with the same gpa.

Yes, it is a real major. The guy who cuts my lawn has a bachelor's in it

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Laugh it up...but in the 20 years since graduation I've spent a hell of a lot more time cutting, digging, trimming, fetilizing, pruning, and aerating than I have building a bridge or designing a deep sea oil platform that can withstand a century storm. If I could do it all over again - landscape architect may be the way to go. After all, once you have the wings on your chest you're the same as the next guy.

MasterBates

Yeah, but once you are out, the engineering degree generally opens more doors.

Some jobs in CIVLANT have a hard requirement for certain majors/certifications/licenses. NO waivers, request chits or whining.

Not saying underwaterbasketweaving is useless as a major on the outside, but you need to be able to leverage your leadership and military taught skills to your favor.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Yeah, but once you are out, the engineering degree generally opens more doors.

Some jobs in CIVLANT have a hard requirement for certain majors/certifications/licenses. NO waivers, request chits or whining.

Not saying underwaterbasketweaving is useless as a major on the outside, but you need to be able to leverage your leadership and military taught skills to your favor.
Once I'm out...I hope the only thing I'll be doing is working as my wife's personal landscape architect with a side job in wildlife/fisheries management.

However, she may have other plans.

MasterBates

Very true. I was planning on flying crop duster or bush flying in AK when I retired.. Reduced LCDR selection rates and getting pulled up a year group kind of kaboshed that.

Definitely glad I had the Mech E degree, as it opened a few doors when I got out, and didn't close any as far as I can tell.

Oh, and I kind of figured out what your user name might mean, but for a bit I was wondering what a Master Chief AO was doing here.

Lindy

I've recently graduated from PennState with a 3.01gpa in Landscape Architecture and was selected for the Naval Aviation program as a Pilot early February.

Congratulations! Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, about your ASTB scores.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Hey guys, this is my first post here but I'm sure there will be plenty more to come. I've recently graduated from PennState with a 3.01gpa in Landscape Architecture and was selected for the Naval Aviation program as a Pilot early February.

*Pointless Worrying*

I’ve noticed that a lot of these websites are for Marine OCS. I know it’s not the same, but I figured it would be a pretty good start regardless. Any advice would be great and any tips on what to study before the end of May would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

As has already been said, you'll have plenty of time to learn the stuff when you get to OCS. Spend this time preparing for the absolute suckfest that will be OCS. OCS is not designed to be pleasant or even teach you much more than how to wear the uniform and stand up straight. Enjoy what time you have left and don't sweat the small stuff or lose your sense of humor.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The OCS official website tells you what to memorize before showing up -- gen orders of a sentry, code of conduct, ranks and pins. Oh and Anchors Aweigh (all 3 verses) and Marine's Hymn. Even all those are not really required, it just makes things easier.