• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to fly when I grow up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
I thought about being a SWO out of ROTC...EDO sounded like some cool stuff, but I think I'll stick with aviation, but really only because the jacket is so much cooler looking than the SWO sweater.
Ok, this whole post gives me the heebie jeebies. I think you're referring to EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal....a subset of SWO)....not EDO (Engineering Duty Officer). Hey, if it's the leather jacket that wins your heart over, so be it. You wouldn't make it in the SWO world if that's the case. The SWOter is butt fugly and I certainly do not wear it.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
Ok, this whole post gives me the heebie jeebies. I think you're referring to EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal....a subset of SWO)....not EDO (Engineering Duty Officer). Hey, if it's the leather jacket that wins your heart over, so be it. You wouldn't make it in the SWO world if that's the case. The SWOter is butt fugly and I certainly do not wear it.

Nah, i'm talking about Engineering Duty Officer...I also thought about EOD. You think by now some SWO would be wearing something with a metal plate in the back to help protect from knifings.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
You think by now some SWO would be wearing something with a metal plate in the back to help protect from knifings.
Why would that be necessary?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
I'll stick with aviation, but really only because the jacket is so much cooler looking than the SWO sweater.
You mean the SWO-ter?

Brett

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
You mean the SWO-ter?

Brett
Thanks Brett. Sometimes I get a little confused. My mind doesn't work as fast as those aviators. Guess that makes sense when us ship drivers can only do one thing at a time and at 5 knots. Even then, it takes 15 of us on the bridge just to turn the ship 10 degrees.

Maybe the next time I'm underway, I'll walk back to the hangar and ask the pilots how I can better improve my abilities. But I won't wear the SWOter so I'll blend in.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I love a bit of good natured rivalry as much as the next guy, but if anyone else has something to add about their respective communities, it'd be appreciated.

Such as: Is JO tasking in the VFAs as bad as it's made out to be? I've heard horror stories about everyone wanting to get out ASAP because the workload is so high.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
To complment what Gator said from the perspective of a brand new nugget in the LAMPS rag...
Some things I noticed and felt while going through flight school. I was one of those wierd guys who wanted helos all the way through flight school, so here we go.

In the HT's when students first get there, there are a lot of guys who did not chose helos, so they want the closest thing they can get to be a jet (IE tactical, CSAR, weaps...) so they all dump on the HC community... "I don't want to haul trash, don't want to VERTREP all the time." By the end of advanced, there were so many people trying to get HC. QOL is huge, brand new airframe and the community is so laid back.

I personally flip flopped a lot between HSL and HC going through the HT's. I finally chose HSL for the following reasons. While the B is getting old, it has some awsome capabilities and there will be the chance to fly a brand new R. I really wanted nothing to do with being on the carrier (main reason for not wanting jets), the small boy thing, just seemed reall cool to me... Going out on det with a few other pilots and your crews... and the locations in my opinion were a lot better.

If it were me to do all over again in both primary and advanced, I still would have picked helos and then later HSL. If you got any questions feel free to PM me, dev know a lot more about the helo than I, I probably have a fresher memory on advanced selection and early training.

Hoped this helped.

PS
Don't believe anything Squeeze is bound to post on this topic... he is THAT JET GUY!

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
PS
Don't believe anything Squeeze is bound to post on this topic... he is THAT JET GUY!

WTF
I haven't posted crap. I've just laughed at the SWO-Heloguy love spat.

all I can say on the topic is that the IPs who knocked on jets all through primary have no f-cking clue what they were talking about. I mean, we're not all egotistical, assh-les with fast cars and good looks. Some of us drive trucks :icon_smil

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Patmack18 said:
I drive a Jeep...

My point exactly though. .....the rest did nothing but bad mouth the community, having never been there.

I promise I won't be that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.