• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to fly when I grow up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Hey all, it's getting close to selection time, and it's become a much harder choice than I thought it would be. The only thing I'm definitive about is that I want to go a boat. Flying a crew a/c is also pretty high on my list. I thought putting jets as #1 would be a simple choice, but I'm having my doubts. So, here are my questions:

Are jets really that awesome? And how's the community, is everyone a stuck up jet guy? Are the workup cycles really that bad?

What's E-2 flying like? Is it all holes in the sky?

I did a cruise with an HSL back as a mid, but what's everyone's take on the HSL to HSM transition and how it's gonna hit the community?

And if there's an issue I missed, feel free to bring it up.

Reactions: E5B

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
And how's the community, is everyone a stuck up jet guy?

My only experience so far is what I've seen while here in the pre-load (finally starting ground school on Monday, after 6 MONTHS of waiting), so take it for what it's worth. I was stashed a while with exposure to some of the instructors, and just from talking to them, the "stuck up jet guy" stereotype is perpetuated by students and bitter aviators, maybe people who had one bad experience. Everyone I've met so far is chill and very friendly.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Some thoughts:

Don't put jets just because it sounds cool. That being said, if it's something you want, go for it. I know there's a few other very recent threads that weren't just name calling that listed the pros and cons of the jet and non-jet communities. No doubt you've read them, and I'll let the pointy-nosed homos chime in about jets (I had to get one dig in).

There seems to be a bunch of E-2 guys here now, so they can obviously chime in. I always thought C-2s would be awesome (tailhooker, you're the super hero because you've got parts/mail/cheerleaders). It's just there's no gurantee that you get C-2s. Driving around in circles with the radar going all the time isn't the greatest of fun for me. Of course, that's what I end up doing a lot of in HSL.

As for flying with a crew...I totally agree. When I was selecting, I really liked the idea of at least having another pilot with me, if for no other reason than to pass the time. Having someone in the back is great too. There really is a sense of team and comraderie when you're a crew over a period of time. I notice that most of the pilots and AWs from my last cruise are all still wearing our det patches. Usually you see people get bored and switch them up. Maybe that's just me.

As for the HSL/HSM thing...The transition will probably do nothing but help HSL. There are more exceptions now, but overall, fifth fleet still doesn't really know what to do with HSL. HS guys, bear with me here, but with the exception of the CSAR mission, we do everything HS does, and more, especially with the addition of our radar. So merging the two won't be too big a deal, mission-wise, for HSL, and will probably be a huge boost. Plus getting into the airwing can't hurt.

Now, to add to what I mentioned before...Flying around in circles w/ the radar on can be boring. Every community has got their share of turning fuel into noise. What I love about helos is that on the same mission you're doing that, you also will be down at 50-100 feet hovering/zooming/or generally screwing around. Plus, it's a pretty freakin' good feeling to know that you've pulled some people out of the water that probably weren't going to make it. All of which you don't get w/ the E-2s. Again, not that they aren't an incredibly important asset, because they are.

It's all what you want and prefer. We can only give you some info, but do what feels right. Hope that helped.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The one thing that kinda steers me away from helos is that I don't want to spend my days hauling pallets of soda from ship to ship. Doing picks on guys in the water and shooting small boats sounds like the kind of stuff I'd like to do and the -60R seems like an awesome a/c. Is there a concern that the helo guys will have a lot on their plate with all the numerous missions they have to do? If Navy helos had a real serious SpecOps mission that I could do as a JO, it would be a done deal.

Also, what about the concerns of getting LAMPS in the next few years and then getting caught in the transition to the R? I'm already senior to my SNA peers, and while I'm not a company man yet, I'd like to have the option to get a hinge installed.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just thinking about your question, it's a good one. Don't trust helo or maritime guys to tell you about jets. Don't trust a maritime or jet guy to tell you about helos. And so on. Talk to the people in the communities. I'm saying this for anyone selecting, not really you, since that is what you are doing already :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Patmack18 said:
I really hated the IP's in primary that were helo guys trying to tell me why jets would suck.

Yup, these guys have zero place doing that to a Primary stud who is confused.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's funny you said your concerns the way you did. The grand plan is that HS/HSL will become HSM and fly the Romeo. HC will do....something, and become....something, but that they will also deploy w/ the CSG/ESGs. Again, not sure what they will be called, and they still will go as an expeditionary group to fulfill the vertrep commitment with the single ship oilers. When Sierras do come over to the air wing, they will replace the Hotel as the CSAR asset. However, at the moment, they don't have the fuel to legally be called a CSAR asset. Something that no doubt, will be changed soon (they're waiting for the fuel tanks). So what could actually be happening is that you go to a community (w/ Sierras) and have to do the mission you don't want to do while also possibly doing the mission you (and everyone else) wants to do. I'm sure a HC guy will chime in here.

As for HSL/multi-mission, helo guys always have a lot on their plate. Some communities are better in some areas than others because they don't practice that job as much. A perfect example is ASW. At our briefs we get here, the higher ups doing the equipment testing that we help out with a lot here will usually say that HSL is better at ASW than the P-3s. I would believe it. But when you look at what the P-3s have to do operationally, it makes sense. They do a lot of other secret squirrel crap in 7th and 5th fleet.

As for getting into LAMPS "too late," I wouldn't sweat it. For example, the last squadron to have Bravos will be -37, and that's supposed to be until 2015. HSL-41 (FRS) should be getting their first few in the next year or two to start building the syllabus.

Another issue to possibly consider, and was kind of a big one for me, was quality of life at sea. It's yet another very subjective topic. Life at sea on a carrier is very good. Life in a liberty port on a carrier sucks. 5000+ squid running around with you, it's hard to get away from the ship, even on liberty. The HC/HSL detachments are a small group of people doing very specialized work. The relationship is much different than what you see between the shoe divisions. It's a pretty cool thing, even though everyone is working their ass off. That, and life on a small boy, especially a frigate, ain't the greatest. But I could be the first one off the ship for liberty, if I wanted.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Some thoughts:

Don't put jets just because it sounds cool.
Why not? Just because you're stuck flying that sh!t ton of bricks doesn't mean you need to rain on everyone else's parade. Raise your hand if you want to be Maverick. Ok, now raise your hand if you want to be Black Hawk Down......that's what I thought.

gatordev said:
That being said, if it's something you want, go for it. I know there's a few other very recent threads that weren't just name calling that listed the pros and cons of the jet and non-jet communities. No doubt you've read them, and I'll let the pointy-nosed homos chime in about jets (I had to get one dig in).
This from a guy who knew all the caps and lims of the neweest flight sim on the market when we were in college. You even had that realistic throttle and stick, right Dev? You should be careful about the "homo" comment. It's just not funny.

gatordev said:
Always thought C-2s would be awesome (tailhooker, you're the super hero because you've got parts/mail/cheerleaders).
Yea, so back up off em. C-2 guys are way cooler than any jet guys could ever hope to be.

gatordev said:
It's just there's no gurantee that you get C-2s. Driving around in circles with the radar going all the time isn't the greatest of fun for me. Of course, that's what I end up doing a lot of in HSL.
Choose your rate, choose your fate.

gatordev said:
As for flying with a crew...I totally agree. When I was selecting, I really liked the idea of at least having another pilot with me, if for no other reason than to pass the time.quote]
Ok, jacking each other off doesn't count as passing the time. I can only imagine why you'd want someone.

gatordev said:
There really is a sense of team and comraderie when you're a crew over a period of time. I notice that most of the pilots and AWs from my last cruise are all still wearing our det patches.
I bet there is. Are those patches for the mile high club?

gatordev said:
As for the HSL/HSM thing...The transition will probably do nothing but help HSL. There are more exceptions now, but overall, fifth fleet still doesn't really know what to do with HSL. HS guys, bear with me here, but with the exception of the CSAR mission, we do everything HS does, and more, especially with the addition of our radar.
Does this include plane guard? Just curious.

gatordev said:
It's all what you want and prefer. We can only give you some info, but do what feels right.
Do you really want all that agravation. Do yourself a favor and put in for SWO. I'll even be your sea daddy. Come to Papa.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Disregard.

And yes, at times, we do plane guard, just not as much as the HS guys.

Steve, how do I lateral transfer over to be a SWO? I don't think I like being a rotor head anymore. I want to know what its like to feel the salt breeze in my hair while standing on the bridge wing of a DDG, taking the Conn. I want to be a Surface Warfare Officer. I am ready for the challenge. It is my calling.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dev, gimme a call and we'll talk.

Come to Papa. Welcome home, son.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
Do you really want all that agravation. Do yourself a favor and put in for SWO. I'll even be your sea daddy. Come to Papa.

I thought about being a SWO out of ROTC...EDO sounded like some cool stuff, but I think I'll stick with aviation, but really only because the jacket is so much cooler looking than the SWO sweater.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Patmack18 said:
I have an engineering degree... you can't be using big words like that... (plus Meridian makes you stupid)

So do I, so I'm not really sure if it's the correct usage, but I'm kinda hoping most other people are engineers too.

Status
Not open for further replies.