• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to do with a tailhook

BullGator

First of all, your landlord must be nuts, to let an A-4 tailhook go with the house. Full-length A-4 tailhooks, not just the hook portion, used to be a highly sought-after commodity that few and far between were able to find in good condition. To let one just go with the house is "inconceivable". I "acquired" mine late one night when the maintenance chief told me he had something that was of no use anymore and asked me to drive around behind the hangar to help him get rid of it. I re-finished it to milspec and it now hangs proudly on the fireplace in my family room, where all good, quality A-4 tailhooks belong. It is always a source of curiosity when new, non-Navy people visit.
My dad got a couple. For a long time they just hung in the garage. Then when we built a game room he had them painted and put up on the wall. They were painted in black and white stripes; not what I would of picked, but they look good. He also got one of those old school dead bombs (~6 inch diameter and 3 feet long); it was originally blue, but he had it bronzed and it looks bad ass. I don't know if you could even get away with "acquiring" that stuff these days, so I'm glad he did while things were more laid back.. ;) Very cool stuff and great talking pieces.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They were painted in black and white stripes; not what I would of picked, but they look good.

Ummmm, that is the way they are supposed to be.......

aircraft-carrier-58.jpg

BullGator

Ummmm, that is the way they are supposed to be.......

aircraft-carrier-58.jpg
Touche'.

I knew some of the modern ones were stripped black and white from the military channel, but they were dull-gray, aluminum color (base color) for as long as I remember. I guess the paint was stripped a long time ago, or they had it painted it gray back in the late '60's to mid '70's. :confused: I'll have to ask him next time I call him. They look real good regardless though. (And they are about 7 feet long, and straight with the attachment end with about an inch and a half hole. Definitely old school or at least differnt than the picture above which apears to be about 4-5 feet long with a V attachment (could just appear shorter though. Again, I don't know. :)))

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Looks pretty sweet. I think the area that we would want to mount it is drywall though, not sure if it could take the weight. Maybe we could hang it from the ceiling and have it drop every time you hit the doorbell or something crazy like that.

Renegade One

None
Looks pretty sweet. I think the area that we would want to mount it is drywall though, not sure if it could take the weight. Maybe we could hang it from the ceiling and have it drop every time you hit the doorbell or something crazy like that.

Think as long as you hit the studs you'd be fine and dandy.

MasterBates

Play T-ball. You have to hit a holdback fitting off a pedestal with the hook. But they have to tag you out, and you can beat taggers with the hook.

Should be fun. Passes my ORM test.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Play T-ball. You have to hit a holdback fitting off a pedestal with the hook. But they have to tag you out, and you can beat taggers with the hook.

We could try THIS but just with the tailhook instead. It could be a right of passage before you start TH advanced.

(The funny thing is they actually used to do that at the college I went to, not when I attended of course.)