• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to do with a tailhook

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Myself and MIDNJAC recently moved into a house and one of the side benefits of said house is it comes with a tailhook from an A-4. The landlord "acquired" it at some point in his career and he said we can pretty much do with it as we please.

We though of following MB and creating a "Kat" in our backyard, but alas I think it has too much of a gradient and I don't know if it would really be appropriate in our suburban setting. We have also thought of mounting it over our fireplace and I also have a kegorator and have though of attaching the faucet to the end someway.

But, if anyone has any idea that would be fun, we would love to hear them. Anything that involves alcohol would be a plus as well.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
45 degrees down ending in a Forrest.

My real fear is that we start and never finish due to the whole 52 weeks to finish idea.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Myself and MIDNJAC recently moved into a house and one of the side benefits of said house is it comes with a tailhook from an A-4. The landlord "acquired" it at some point in his career and he said we can pretty much do with it as we please.

We though of following MB and creating a "Kat" in our backyard, but alas I think it has too much of a gradient and I don't know if it would really be appropriate in our suburban setting. We have also thought of mounting it over our fireplace and I also have a kegorator and have though of attaching the faucet to the end someway.

But, if anyone has any idea that would be fun, we would love to hear them. Anything that involves alcohol would be a plus as well.

I have an A-6 tailhook (given as a parting gift from the fixed wingers I shared an office with on a staff tour) in the corner of my garage. Great conversation piece, but I'm not allowed to put it in the living room.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Have you thought about placing wires across your driveway and attaching it to your rear bumper? Instead of parking, you could trap. Consider your garage door as a barricade if you bolter.

Just a thought.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
You could donate it to an O' Club. Im sure they could find good use for it.

BullGator

Paint it and hang it up. Though since it wasn't "yours" (acquired by you) you could pretty much do anything with it..

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Have you thought about placing wires across your driveway and attaching it to your rear bumper? Instead of parking, you could trap. Consider your garage door as a barricade if you bolter.

Just a thought.

I wouldn't put it past them.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
I think he would like it to stay with the house. Though the idea of putting it on the back of my car is very interesting.

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
Turn it into a tap! It would probably take some extra work but it would be well worth it, at least I think so.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
First of all, your landlord must be nuts, to let an A-4 tailhook go with the house. Full-length A-4 tailhooks, not just the hook portion, used to be a highly sought-after commodity that few and far between were able to find in good condition. To let one just go with the house is "inconceiveable". I "acquired" mine late one night when the maintenance chief told me he had something that was of no use anymore and asked me to drive around behind the hangar to help him get rid of it. I re-finished it to milspec and it now hangs proudly on the fireplace in my family room, where all good, quality A-4 tailhooks belong. It is always a source of curiosity when new, non-Navy people visit.

stickygdm

pilot
Those of us who were in K-ville at the end of the TA-4J days remember the debacle that ensued when a pile of hooks were left conspicuously out and a available for redistribution. I wonder if this was one of those hooks. I know of one buddy who had to stand tall when security stopped him at the gate with it hanging out of his Accord.
The club used to have a great fence in the front with many of the left over hooks--around the tail of a T-2 and a TA-4. All gone now.
MB I'll put eyes on the KC tomorrow during the winging party. I guess some * and ** have taken it for a ride!

MasterBates

I have been told that some flag officers, have in fact rode the KingKat.

Right into the pool.

Of course, I have not seen pictures of this.