• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to do in San Diego???

MAAShot12

Hey AW, I'm going to be in SD for my annual training (current reservist) and I'm looking for some info about the area.
Are there any hotels on Coronado or along the coast where I could catch some carrier quals, training flights, etc?
What are the best sights to check out or things to do on the weekend?
And last but not least, anyone feel like grabbing a beer at the I-bar and talking aviation with an SNA wannabe?
Thanks for the input guys.
Peace

That_1_Dud3

Also check out PB (Pacific Beach) area. Pretty chill hang out spots. Like mexican food? Pretty much any taco shop offers carne asada fries which are BOMB. Also if you're into food, check out Rei Do Gados in gaslamp. A bit pricey, but good Brazilian food.

As for things to do on the weekends, there is so much: Balboa park, the beaches, hiking, biking, surfing, dirt bikes, paintball, a bazillion cool resturaunts and bars... tons more but those are just the few things off the top of my head within a few seconds lol

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Boat ops take place so far off the coast, you're not going to see one while sipping a Pacifico on the beach. More's the pity.

You can kill a day in Balboa Park, kill an evening walking around the Gaslamp. You can get everywhere except Coronado and PB on the trolley.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
What CAN'T you do in SD? Hike, hookers, Gaslamp, mexican food in IB, live music (a la shout house), whatever.

MAAShot12

Gaslamp district.

And at the I-Bar, it's good luck for all new aviators (and aspiring ones) to touch the models.

Good luck, eh? I can always use more good luck. I can always use more friends too ;-) Should I let you know when I go to get some luck?

MAAShot12

I'm all over the food: Brazilian, carne asada fries, tacos, Mexican, whatever. Especially if I'm on per diem :D $71 buys a lot of Pacifico.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Alot to do in SD. Drinking, sight... You should stay at the Hotel Del. Great place.

If you do go to the I Bar, learn to play dice. Its free beer as long as you don't win. Have fun.

haubby

None
Contributor
If you don't have fun with whatever you do in San Diego…. Well… It's just un-American.

brownshoe

Contributor
So I guess this is what these guys are telling you:

1. Drink.
2. Drink.
3. Drink

Although, not necessarily in that order.:)

Steve

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
For hotels, if you can get into the Navy Lodge on North Island, you can walk out of your room and be no-kidding be standing on the beach (and be within per diem rates).
You need to reserve early since the retirees lock that place up often!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
If you can get into the Q, its stumbling distance to the I-Bar. Navy Lodge is fine too... just depends on where your priorities lie.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Rent a bike and ride around Coronado, drink Mai-Tai's at the Hotel Del Beach bar, and go to a Padres game....at least thats what I did with my few days in San Diego.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
So I guess this is what these guys are telling you:

1. Drink.
2. Drink.
3. Drink

Although, not necessarily in that order.:)

Steve

Add get laid in there somewhere. If you're not having fun in San Diego, drinking, flirting with chicks, you are doing something wrong.

srqwho

pilot
Hey AW, I'm going to be in SD for my annual training (current reservist) and I'm looking for some info about the area.
Are there any hotels on Coronado or along the coast where I could catch some carrier quals, training flights, etc?
What are the best sights to check out or things to do on the weekend?
And last but not least, anyone feel like grabbing a beer at the I-bar and talking aviation with an SNA wannabe?
Thanks for the input guys.
Peace

If you run out of things to do in SD, there's this place... about an hour and 45 to the East called El Centro you may want to check out.