• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to do at TBS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew0203

PLC-C Ground Summer 05'
I'm just wondering what everybody does on the weekends at TBS.... From the other posts I read it seems people do not like staying around. Where the heck could you go? Thanks

drew

drew0203

PLC-C Ground Summer 05'
And another question... During the week Im sure you learn a lot of information. I'm the guy who likes to reenforce the learning by doing it (whatever "it" may be) on my own. So if we stay around on the weekend do we have access to facilities, like the rifle range and stuff like that? Thanks.

drew

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Friday nights and Saturdays are for you. Sunday you're prepping for the upcoming week. One of the other things TBS stands for is "Time Between Saturdays!"

Taxman2A

War were declared.
drew0203 said:
So if we stay around on the weekend do we have access to facilities, like the rifle range and stuff like that? Thanks.

You will have access to the running trails and O'course as long as you take 2 buddies and check out with the OOD. The rifle range, and more importantly your rifle is not allowed to be used on the weekends. It's true that everything you learn in the classroom at TBS can be reinforced through solid practical application, however, you can't prac ap most of the stuff you will learn at TBS by yourself. At TBS you will learn lots of things, and nearly all of them focus around platoon level leadership. Running around in the woods by yourself on Saturdays may blow off some steam, but I'd be surprised if it makes you a better leader.

Oh yeah, and don't try convincing your whole squad or platoon to hang out on saturday so you can practice giving frag-os.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
drew0203 said:
I'm just wondering what everybody does on the weekends at TBS.... From the other posts I read it seems people do not like staying around. Where the heck could you go? Thanks

From talking to people I know at TBS and seeing them out, a lot of people go out in Stafford, Fredricksberg, Arlignton/Alexandria and DC on regular weekends and some try to go home during 96s and long weekends. Most of them don't seem to care where they end up, as long as they are out of the backside of Quantico.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
zippy said:
From talking to people I know at TBS. . .Most of them don't seem to care where they end up, as long as they are out of the backside of Quantico.
Yes, Camp Barrett becomes Hell after a few weeks!

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Every student at TBS is assigned a room in the BOQ there. Even the married folks have a rack to crash in, just in case they're too tired to go home. Each room has heavy metal racks that you will lock your rifle in when it is not in use, and you're LBE/pack/etc will find their way into different spots in your room.

As for what to do during your free time... The DC area has quite a bit to offer, whatever interests you have, so it's not too difficult to find something fun to get into. Personally, I always found a certain Irish bar in Maryland my favorite place to hang out. Bit of a drive though, so I'd plan on arranging a place to crash or have a seriously dedicated designated driver.

go4the8

Advance Maritime (C-130's)
I was one of those guys that just stayed in the barracks and vegged for the weekend. I found this helped restore energy to my brain and my body for the upcoming week. I might have read a thing or two but I mostly took care of laundry, shopping, and movie watching. During the week, the days are long and you really don't want to do much of anything at the end of the day, especially laundry......Alot of guys and gals in my company were from the Academy and had friends and "family" near by to go hang out with.

I did go up to DC a couple of times, for the 4th of July and to a couple of clubs on the weekend. Definitely a good time with lots to do on a Friday or Saturday night. I didn't do this often as I'm just not the partying type when all I can think about is how fun rack ops are!

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
I think the better question is "What's there not to do at TBS?" Don't get me wrong... Almost everyone doesn't like TBS, and most people don't choose to go back to be SPCs. If you're talking about PTing all the time or always being prepared for the next week, that's easy to make time for. However, as far as fun and entertainment YOU'RE IN THE DC AREA!!! You got DC. You got the Georgetown area. If you want you got Baltimore (2 hour drive normally). If you reallly want to take a drive you have Atlantic City, New York City, Philadelphia all in like a 4 hour radius. I guess it depends on what you want to do to have fun, or what you mean by things to do. To me TBS after hours was like being away at college. Enjoy it while you can because if you get stationed in Camp Lejeune North Carolina, you'd wish you had the access to entertainment like you do in Quantico!!! I hope that helps.

drew0203

PLC-C Ground Summer 05'
Hey Go4the8,

What MOS did you receive? And did you see a correlation between guys who stayed around to put in extra work and their class rankings? Thanks

drew

go4the8

Advance Maritime (C-130's)
drew0203 said:
Hey Go4the8,

What MOS did you receive? And did you see a correlation between guys who stayed around to put in extra work and their class rankings? Thanks

drew

I got an air contract before I went to TBS, so I didn't have to worry about MOS assignment. There are three components that make up your overall average at TBS and thus your final ranking amongst your peers. These three components are: 1. academic average 2. leadership average 3. military skills. The one thing that you could do well on by putting in extra work would be your academic average and a portion of your military skills average. Both require studying, though the majority of your military skills comes from the rifle range, pistol range, land navigation (day/night), etc., so studying for them isn't going to help you so much since they are practical applications and not multiple question tests. The leadership portion comes from how you handle various biilet positions whether in the field, in garrison, or whatever event you happen to be in charge of. You can study for the event and have an awesome operations order (aka 5 paragraph order) and know what you are doing with regards to that particular "operation", but you really can't study leadership. You learn that from experience.

I can use my roommate, who finished #2 in the company, as an example. On the weekends he would go north to the outlet mall area and go to Barnes and Noble to study. He studied all the time. He made flashcards, wrote out explicit notes from class and typed them into his computer, and practiced giving his 5 paragraph order to himself in the mirror. As a result he was well-prepared for all his leadership positions, with respect to knowledge, and thus he could focus more on leading rather than the details of the assignment he was given. He made 100's on every test, except one where he made a 98 or something like that. Though he is a fine example, I can't say that doing what he did will guarantee the same results. All I can say is do your best, cause that's all you can do. If you are worried about ranking due to being able to get your MOS choice, don't worry too much about it, because the Marine Corps will give you the MOS they want you to have, unless you are in the top 10% (I believe that is correct) and they give you your first choice. Everyone in our company, except one, got one of their top 5 choices. The one that didn't got his 6th choice. Another factor you have to take into consideration is your SPC. He/She can "help" you by getting you the MOS they think you should have.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
I'd second what Go4the8 said.

Do the best you can, but in the end, you will get what the Marine Corps wants you to get. Most of the stuff you need at TBS, isn't stuff you study for. The only exceptions are academics and PT. If you are a "rock" when it comes to academics, you will need to put in a lot of extra study hours. If you are a slob (like me) then PT in your spare time. Otherwise, get the hell out of there and relax or sleep. It will do you much more good.

Here's my standard take on MOS selection. Most everyone gets something in their top 3 (no one I knew got lower than their 5th choice). If you go in wanting only one thing, you will be disappointed. Period. You can apply this to airframe selection too. You really need to be open to a few options. The bitter folks who complain about the "system" are usually the ones who were die-hard about one MOS, and hated everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.