• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to bring to MEPS?

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Hey all,

I've just finished up my application completely and it has been submitted to the local NRD, but I need to get to MEPS ASAP while my package is en route to Millington.

My question to you all is what do I as a BDCP/OCS applicant need to bring to MEPS Monday morning?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
ID, anything your recruiter told you and medical paperwork you might need. Make sure you don't have any knives on you because you'll probably not be allowed to bring them in. Overall, this is a question for your recruiter.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I know it's a question for my recruiter, but today is Friday and my recruiter's gone for the rest of the day and I have to show up Monday morning. I'd just like to hear from others who have been to MEPS to see what I need, since I get get ahold of my recruiter.

schwarti

Contributor
They may ask for your school transcripts - they did for me. That was about all I had to bring. Bring any medical stuff you have, and of course, bring photo ID. Driver's license, passport, whatever.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
You don't want to be the wierdo in tighty-whiteys when everyone's duckwalking and doing side-straddle hops.

OH yea, that brings me to another question - what are the various awkward acts that I will have to perform? I already know about the duckwalking, but what about the rest?

Turkleton

I just went to MEPS yesterday. I got there at 5:30 and miraculously finished at 10:30. Here's a few suggestions:

1.) I brought a book but only read one page. Although I waited around a lot, I never had enough time to really get into the book. It helped to just be alert and ready to receive instructions. Rather than read, just strike up a conversation with the people around you.

2.) If you haven't drank any water by 9AM, go find a water fountain and hydrate.

3.) Although the duck walk, etc seem silly you need to do them exactly as instructed or else you get singled out. The other tricky thing they'll ask you to do is go from a kneeling position (with your toes tucked under) to a standing position without using your hands. The trick is to use momentum. You don't jump, you rock back off your knees and bring your heels to the floor and then stand.

4.) You wanna wear boxers or boxer briefs because you have to do these exercises in your underwear in a crowded room. The last applicant my recruiter took to MEPS didn't know and wore a thong.

red_ryder

None
Second the drinking water. I couldn't piss at all for some reason and I had thought I had drank enough, then did nothing but drink water for an hour waiting for it. Don't forget your ID.

I'd recommend boxer-briefs if you have them. Briefs might be inherently more lame, but with boxers...let's just say they don't secure your cargo from falling out and flopping all over the place for some of those crabwalks. :eek:

SiafuSig05

Be on time or you'll have to come back another day if they already start. The Tampa, FL MEPS physical was easy. First you assemble out front in groups based on what you are there for, physical, ASVAB, shipping, etc. I took my vision test first, then I was briefed about what to expect that day. Breathalizer after that (don't drink the night before), then brief paperwork, blood pressure, then hearing test, after that it gets interesting. All the talk about dancing in your underwear is true, but before that, the Doc grills you about your past medical history, checks your balls and inspects your rectum (no penetration). Then you piss in a cup in front of the examiner and all the other guys with you, not a prob unless you have stage fright. I had been holding it for about 2 hours so I was good to go. After that I got my blood taken. There is no set order, you may do things in a different order, but that is essentially it. If you don't have any problems, you are done. You check out with your liason, and peace the F out. Some tips, don't wear flip flops or sandals, and leave your phone in the car, they were real strict about the phones. It is a federal building so no weapons. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I just did it this week, so everything is fresh in my mind. Good luck to everyone with the upcoming selection board.