• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What the USN looked like in 1915

Shpion1

Contributor
Mumbles, one of the coolest videos ever. Nice to see our "ancestors" in the "normal habitat". They should show this in bootcamp and OCS.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
Awesome... Simply freakin awesome! It was cool to see how we have changed, yet remained the same in many ways. First two thoughts that came to mind were: 1. I wanna tie a tube to the back of that sub and 2. Ammo onloads can suck at times in the modern Navy, looks like they would have sucked a lot more back then:bigeyes_1

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
Humping 5" shells during ammo onloads used to wear me out... I ain't messing with a 14" shell. Nice find, Mumbles.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I didn't see a single guy that was overweight. Very physical work back then.

Right now one of the thumbnail pictures/teasers on the Navy Reserve website has a picture of a fat guy with some random byline about recruits and obesity. Hmmm. If I want to find out more I just have to click on it- far less effort than walking across the room to pick up a phone. How ironic.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Though the USN has arguably become a kinder, gentler institution of much "softer" individuals, imagine what those men would have thought about the hardware we currently possess less than a century later. Stuff Jules Verne couldn't have conceived of.