• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What should I know?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Freshman at our unit stay in the "Freshman Company" for their first two semesters (Spring and Fall). It's not harassment though, it's just a regular company that's a little more strict on PT, grades, and uniform standards. After that, they are spread out throughout the rest of the companies and a new freshman class comes in. We have 7 companies at our unit (~350 students) and our freshman class is usually ~50-70 students.

Excited Mid

in ours, we were taken to a old army fort, stuffed in a squad bay, and from 0600 to about 2100, were yelled at and taught drill. we pt'd every morning for an hour, were forced meals with eyes inside the boat and literally inhaling food all while getting yelled at, and then we "played games" in the squad bay. our wasn't fun at the time, but afterwards talking about it is sure an experience. PT wasn't very hrd, although there were still nasties who fell out. we didnt have any advance knowledge and were often improptu quizes. Just have as much fun with it as you can, ENJOY THE LRC course, and enjoy your MRE. It was the best chow we had all week.

getswole0763

Howdy gentlemen. I will be attending the O-Week for University of San Diego as a Freshman. I have talked to several Midshipmen and they commented that it would be good to know your general orders, as well as rank structure.

Any input from NROTC peeps that attended the USD/SDSU/UCSD O-Week?

Hawk12

None
Have fun, just remember most of the week will simply involve mind games. Show up physically prepared, but don't be too down when you are still burned out by the PT. Don't fall asleep in classes! Some of the most memorable moments within your battalion will happen during O-Week, it really works as a great way to meet and build comradarie with your class that will last throughout your time in the battalion. You will get a nickname and you will be wrong about everything for a week, but so will everyone else you are with. They are not made to weed people from the program.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm the Company Commanding Officer for the freshman Company at Old Dominion this Summer/Fall. As a consequence, here is what we are expecting our schedule to look like.

Day 1: Arrival/Checkin/gear issue
Day 2: PRT in-test in the early morning
Day 3: 3rd class swim test
Day 4: O-course at Little Creek NAB
Day 5: Ship/Squadron tours at NS Norfolk
Day 6: Leadership Reaction Course at Ft. Eustis
Day 7: Graduation/Pass In review

As you can see, there is a lot of down time, especially at night. During these times, you will learn to wear you uniform, drill, attend classes regarding military rank/lifestyle/knowledge/expectations, etc. The bolded items are things you need to be able to pass by the end of the semester, so if you don't do well at first, you are going to be remediated the whole semester which = extra work for you.

I'm sure your school will be similar. You will undergo some stress, both mentally and physically, but it's O-week, not Marine Corps boot camp, so pay attention, do what you are told and you will succeed.

If you have any questions, PM me. Congratulations and good luck...

Is the Army LRC course the same or similiar to the course in Quantico?

Will_T

Will_T
Thanks guys, the great advice continues to come in.
3 months from today is the first full day of O week, and the next day is my 18th birthday (not too excited about that part).
Any way, the PT is coming along, did a practice prt today with my dad, the training continues.
Thanks again,
Will.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
This is great, our orientation back in '01 was uniform issue, some briefs and a BBQ over about 6 hours. Guess that's not exactly the 'norm'...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Is the Army LRC course the same or similiar to the course in Quantico?

Don't know, but I'm sure that most courses are the same in principle if not in practice. You have an obstacle, use your leadership skills to motivate your group to overcome that obstacle. Or look really funny trying...;)