• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What should I know?

Will_T

Will_T
Hey guys,
I've been looking through this section recently and haven't found any recent information on what thing I should know before O-week. I understand that I won't be successful based on what things I've memorized, but I would like to be prepared.
If there is anything I need to memorize (sailor's creed, midshipmen honor code, etc), or any information that would be helpful, I would be very grateful. With only 3 and a half months until O-week, and with school winding down, I am preparing physically for nrotc, and would like to be equally prepared mentally.
If there are any MIDN who have recently gone through the Newport orientation, I would love to ask you some questions about the schedule and other things.
Thanks guys,
Will.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
i didnt go through the newport orientation, but for us during our indoc, the big thing was to be prepared physically. dedicate yourself from now until you show up to getting in the best shape you can. just realize that everyone in your group is going to be equally clueless at the beginning, so i would not spend too much time memorizing stuff now outside of learning basic courtesies, etc...realize that no matter how hard you try, your instructors will find something wrong with you...do not take anything personally, just roll with the punches...be a sponge and try not to be 'that guy.' o week is not bootcamp or ocs, not even close...it's not something to get too worked up about, but you need to be giving 110% on every evolution to prove yourself to your peers who you will be commissioning with in a few years (hopefully)

edit: if your unit is like mine, they will send you some basic knowledge in a packet before you show up...if you choose to memorize all the knowledge, good on you, however, like i said, your staff will berate you either way

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
By Newport orientation, I'm assuming you're a 2 year scholarship programmer? If so I don't have a whole lot of advice because I was a regular 4 year NROTC type. In my case, they didn't expect us to know anything. If you wanted to start learning things like your general orders, rank structure for both the Navy and Marine Corps, and birthdays for both services, good on you, but expect the same harassment package either way.

JhwK08

You are going to have to memorize all the things mentioned eventually, and since I bet you have a whole lot of nothing going on this summer, I recommend you go ahead and do it now - that way you won't have to do it while juggling 20 other things once you get to O-week/school. Like everyone said, go ahead and roll with the punches, because regardless of how much you prepare, there will be plenty. However, that doesn't mean go in with the mindset, "No one else will know anything, neither should I!"... You sound like you are going to be one step up on your classmates, which will give you more time to help them out (Staff likes seeing this...a lot).

And if you can go watch an entire Robin Williams skit without laughing or smiling, your military bearing is better than mine will ever be.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
So this fun in Newport, RI, do you get the pleasure of a Drill Instructor?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All ROTC units have a Marine DI on staff as the enlisted Marine instructor. Your indoc will probably include fun and games with him. That said, no two ROTC indocs are alike because of the varying degrees of available resources, time, etc., in which to accomplish it. Sometime this summer you'll probably get a packet from your ROTC unit telling you what to expect. For now, I'd say focus on graduating and getting your PT scores up. Learning practical things beforehand like rank structure will pay dividends, but usually the packets will tell you what to memorize beforehand, if anything. It's a short period of suck that gives the ROTC staff a good glimpse into your personality, and while first impressions do mean a lot, how you perform afterward is what's key.

JhwK08

For what it's worth, at my unit we had zero idea of what our Orientation was going to be like until we were literally being yelled at in the squad bay by our Sgt Instructors. Don't count on them telling you anything before hand.

Will_T

Will_T
thanks everyone for the solid advice.
Nav_air, gotta fly: I will be at Boston University next year, as a college programmer (I will be a freshman next year).
So the general consensus seems to be: ranks/courtesies/physical fitness/roll with the punches.
Sounds good. Thanks everyone for the help again,
Will.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
thanks everyone for the solid advice.
Nav_air, gotta fly: I will be at Boston University next year, as a college programmer (I will be a freshman next year).
So the general consensus seems to be: ranks/courtesies/physical fitness/roll with the punches.
Sounds good. Thanks everyone for the help again,
Will.

I'm the Company Commanding Officer for the freshman Company at Old Dominion this Summer/Fall. As a consequence, here is what we are expecting our schedule to look like.

Day 1: Arrival/Checkin/gear issue
Day 2: PRT in-test in the early morning
Day 3: 3rd class swim test
Day 4: O-course at Little Creek NAB
Day 5: Ship/Squadron tours at NS Norfolk
Day 6: Leadership Reaction Course at Ft. Eustis
Day 7: Graduation/Pass In review

As you can see, there is a lot of down time, especially at night. During these times, you will learn to wear you uniform, drill, attend classes regarding military rank/lifestyle/knowledge/expectations, etc. The bolded items are things you need to be able to pass by the end of the semester, so if you don't do well at first, you are going to be remediated the whole semester which = extra work for you.

I'm sure your school will be similar. You will undergo some stress, both mentally and physically, but it's O-week, not Marine Corps boot camp, so pay attention, do what you are told and you will succeed.

If you have any questions, PM me. Congratulations and good luck...

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
hmm interesting....im on my unit's freshmen orientation staff and our o week looks pretty similar, however, we also decided to go a few times per week in the morning during the semester...i have no idea why this is, but its always been done that way

Will_T

Will_T
wlawr,
great advice thanks for the advice. For my indoc, it looks like 1 week in Newport followed by 3 days in Boston seeing the sights as a group. I can swim, and am working of the fitness part, so that just leaves military knowledge, and that's just the things stated above? (like ranks, courtesies, etc).

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Know rank, uniform and grooming standards and things like that. I did freshman orientation for 3 years. Don't expect anyone to give a shit that you know, but they'll give a shit if you don't know. On that note, unless they published a 'get to know all of this' packet, they are expecting you to be absolutely clueless. Our guys didn't even know they were going to be doing anything until they were in the van on the way to BFE for a week. Not my choice, but it was always a worthwhile evolution.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
hmm interesting....im on my unit's freshmen orientation staff and our o week looks pretty similar, however, we also decided to go a few times per week in the morning during the semester...i have no idea why this is, but its always been done that way

go where?

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
go where?

should have qualified that...our unit indoc also runs through part of the first semester, about the first 5 or 6 weeks...it sucks because in addition to being new freshmen adjusting to college life, they also have to handle all the indoc harassment four times a week...it does teach them valuable skills, read time management, but for 5 or 6 weeks their life absolutely sucks...i think riddle does something similar, although i may be wrong