• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What should I do!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

Ok, most of you have read my posts. I had applied NFO and no slots were available. Now I have to apply ground b/c I can not go straight pilot with my eyes. My OSO had said that PRK was out of the question, that they are done with the study, and no way accepting it. So with everyone here whose OSOs gave the ok, and have gotten in with PRK, I decided to call NAMI (Naval Aerospace Medical Institute). Now... I talked with a Colonel on the phone, and he said PRK was not only still good to go, but he didnt see it ending anytime soon!!! Good news?!?! Nope...
So now I call my OSO, and without trying to sound like Im going behind his back, I explained how a friend of mine is a Navy pilot, and he recommended I call NAMI. I said that I had called NAMI and asked about it, and that I was calling him (oso) to check into it for me. I told him what the Col. said, and he said thats "wrong". That he has the most up to date info. That only 100 kids were selected for the study, and now noone is getting a waiver.
So now what?!?! Hell, this is my future. Im sure alot of you have had your OSOs give u the clear. So how do I approach this? Need advice!

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Tell you what, before you dive headlong into looking for another OSO, let me talk to mine. I'm gonna see him on Monday anyway, so I'll ask both the Captain and the admin civvie there. They're both squared away and will give me good gouge. That may give you a better idea if the PRK is good to go. Maybe a few of the other guys on here can do the same with their OSO's, that way you'll get a good sample size of opinions to know for sure-before you potentially burn bridges chasing nothing.

reapergm

Yet another call to NAMI, to the lady the site recommended. Once again, she confirmed it, and then double and triple checked with her superiors. So this is what i figure Id do... First look into the price and PRK procedure , pricing, and wait. Then if/when Iam qualified to have it done with NAVY standards, Ill talk to my OSO again, being more stern about him checking it out for me. This is the issue I have now, its not whether I can or cannot get it now, but whether I should apply to 185 now? I just signed all the ground contracts, becuase that was all that was available. But knowing my luck, Ill get in under ground, and if Im this close to getting a pilot shot, I want to wait. So should I not apply to ground? Should I apply to NFO knowing I dont stand a chance, so atleast I can say that I applied? AGHHHH! I just wish I wasnt born with bad eyes, and everyting would be fine. Any Advice!?!?!? Leave one!

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Dude do you wanna be a Marine??? If the answer is yes...do what it takes to get accepted...then worry about the rest...I'm in a similiar situation...I've contracted as NFO, with a 280 PFT and good academics but I know its bleak getting accepted this round...Now with talk about 186 being cancelled I'm sweating that too. I'd take potatoe pealer at this point just as long as I'd have a chance to prove myself at OCS...anyway take care of the things you have control over (i.e. PFT, extra curriculars, etc.) and if 186 is cancelled go for PRK...cuz there will be plenty of time for recovery before next OCT. As for this round cross your fingers and pray. IF you go in as ground...work your ass off, get through OCS, and then work your ass off at TBS so you can get a pick of MOS and take NFO (if available)if that's what suits you. Then who knows maybe you can get PRK paid for and go pilot...long shot yes, but don't look back...get in and let the rest take care of itself.

stevew

Reaper, If you already signed all the stuff for ground already and are good to go I would say that you should take the slot and at TBS put in for an air package. If you turn it down after you have already been accepted once it may not be so easy to get in again. I see that you are from Rockland, my OSO here in NYC first told me that PRK was not waiverable and I had him look into it and my waiver has already been submitted, haven't heard back yet though. Good Luck.

reapergm

Steve, thats the thing, they havent send in my ground contract yet. They are sending it in this week with my update PFT. I wonder why I am at Albany and not NYC considering NYC is 15 mins away while Albany is 1 hour and 30 mins away. I do want to be a Marine, but why not wait for a few months if I might be able to fly?! I mean, if I thought I can get in right now as ground, or wait till Oct and get in as air.. Id rather wait. I want to be a Marine so bad, but I would also like to fly, I have to admit that. I am confident I will make it to OCS eventually. Just a matter of when.

reapergm

I have another question. Has anyone here had PRK? How much did it cost? Stevew - if you are out in Manhattan, where are you from and where did you get the PRK done?

kevin

i got my prk waiver several weeks ago. that stuff about not being able to get it, etc, is crap.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
reapergm, my doctor is in Brooklyn, (surgury is performed in Manhattan though). the surgury with all the follow ups is 3,000. However your first follow up is the next day after the surgury so sombody's going to have to bring you in. if you're willing to make the trip he's a really good doctor and is always available when you need to see him.

BFisher

Cessna 152 Ace
This is the first time I have read that PRK is just a "Study". I thought it had already been cleared for everyone... will the "study" still be going on in.. 4-5 years or so?

I just got my Class three for private pilots license and my eyes are 20/20 together but 20/25 20/25 seperate. Since I got away with squinting and the Navy testers don't let you do that, Im going to assume they are worse than 20/25. So in 4-5 years what are my chances of getting a waiver w/ PRK?

DBLang

PLC Candidate
You can go here http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Text/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/ophthalmology.htm
Thats the official website.

The PRK waivers are part of a study, but from what I have been hearing there is no sign that they are going to stop waiving the procedure when the study ends.

reapergm

Wildflying... Hey man, definetely email me or private message me. I am interested. Stevew gave me his docs info. I am going to get it done, its worth it to me. I just now need to "shop around" for the best doctor. My screen name on AIM is Reapergm, so IM me anytime, or email at that address at AOL. Manhattan is only 15 minutes away from me (Rockland NY).

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
reaper,

I have a cuple thoughts for you...1) your OSO is obviously up to something...I'm not sure why he's being shifty about a) NFO slots and b) PRK, but here's my analysis from what I know...and of course I'm probably way off, but you tell me.

You had said on your stats in another thread that you had an unmentionable GPA in college and you had a 5/6 on the ASTB...those things combined could be whats keeping you getting accepted as NFO...especially if you did bad on, what some people are calling, the NFO part of the test. Then perhaps your OSO is telling you PRK is not waivered because 1)he's ignorant or possibly 2) because of the same thing mentioned above...low ASTB or whatever...I'm not making any judgements about your intelligence, etc, but perhaps your OSO is...What doesn't make sense is why he wouldn't just say to you that your best shot at making OCS is by going ground and the reasons why.

Unfortunately for me if you're right about NFO slots I'm f'd too. I think I'm going to look seriously at PRK if I don't make this round...that is if I can find the money for it! Good luck.

SliderSD

I this helps at all. Once I finished my ASTB my captain directly said to me that, You DO qualify for an aviation slot but not for NFO, due to the score. I came with a 6/6/7. So TN might be right about that.

Don't let any of those guys in the office Monkey Sh** you around tell them. I need to know whats up right now STAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.