• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

AULANI

Hello, had a question about applying for Supply. If I'm enlisted and my rate doesn't relate to supply (Intel nerd rate), would that affect my chances of being selected? Also, would an O-3 interview be weak, or those don't hold as much weight as GPA/Major/OAR?

Choices: #1 Supply/#2 Crypto
CTI2/3.5 Yrs. TIS
Evals: P (A-School), MP, EP
Major: B.S. Economics (Some Programming, Engineering, Calc I+II), Business Minor
GPA: 3.71
OAR: 70
Interviews: Supply O-3/Crypto O-5/Crypto O-4

Thanks in advance, sorry for another annoying stats post.
Nice OAR and GPA, I'd be surprised if you didn't get picked up for either of those designators. Why no SNA/NFO? Good luck!

AboutThat...

Hello all, looking at Intel. Currently working in cyber security (I have a pretty diverse work background), did well in school and have Russian language fluency (not that important for Officers, I know). I won't get into it, but I know my SF86 is going to be one hell of a process due to extensive foreign travel and residency abroad. Anyway.

Choices: Intel
Major: History and Political Science, Minor in Russian Language - 3.9 GPA
M.A.: Post-Soviet Area Studies, ~3.9 GPA
ASTB: 55 6/5/6

ASTB is not that great, I went in cold. I will probably try and do some actual studying the second time around. No prior service. Planning on submitting to the March board for Intel only, will try for NFO or perhaps SWO if I don't get picked up.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Hello all, looking at Intel. Currently working in cyber security (I have a pretty diverse work background), did well in school and have Russian language fluency (not that important for Officers, I know). I won't get into it, but I know my SF86 is going to be one hell of a process due to extensive foreign travel and residency abroad. Anyway.

Choices: Intel
Major: History and Political Science, Minor in Russian Language - 3.9 GPA
M.A.: Post-Soviet Area Studies, ~3.9 GPA
ASTB: 55 6/5/6

ASTB is not that great, I went in cold. I will probably try and do some actual studying the second time around. No prior service. Planning on submitting to the March board for Intel only, will try for NFO or perhaps SWO if I don't get picked up.

Thanks in advance.

If you aren't going to apply for NFO this time around wait to take the ASTB.

AboutThat...

If you aren't going to apply for NFO this time around wait to take the ASTB.

Will do. My recruiter has told me that with my GPA, background and current OAR score I am "competitive" for Intel and he does't want me to take it again. However, from what I've read around here / Reddit people get picked up for Intel with all kinds of scores, backgrounds and GPAs. Who knows.

Geopolitician

I am planning to apply for OCS/OTS route for Intel in the Reserves, and whit it I have questions about my qualifications if it looks ok.

As per requirements from NCS https://www.navycs.com/officer/intelligenceofficer.html

Security Clearance Eligibility: I am in credit card debt while building my business, around 25k. Applying for student loan of around 31k for my masters. How big of obstacle is this?

How important is family history for clearance? I have quite complicated family history from Poland with resistance fighters and politicians against the Nazis and Soviets and deceased father which joined the communist party. My waives father is a retired Venezuelan colonel with step son on Interpol list.

How important is the professional network I have? I know a lot of Polish diplomats and politicians, and one retired general.

Citizenship: US born. I also have Polish citizenship, ready to resign if need it (although I saw that there are waivers)
Education:
Polish 4+ grade which is like B+ (GPA 3.3)
BA in International Economic Relations with specialization in International Business from Polish university, with exchange programs in Netherlands and South Korea (could this be an issue for the board as the university is accredited in Poland? it has agreements with US universities, which I think can qualify the degree in the end).

I will start masters in logistics and supply chain management from January and finish December 2020. Certifications from FIU and Georgetown University on International Business and Public Policy
Foreign language skill: Fluent in Polish, beginner in Spanish, broken Korean. I have learned a bit of hiragana and katana (Japanese alphabet for foreigners) but I forgot it already.
Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR): my recruiter just told me that I don't need OAR for reserves. Can someone confirm?
Leadership and Work Experience
Self-employed at international business and public policy consulting firm, specializing in market entry strategies, business and market analysis, geopolitics, marketing and sales.
Corporate experience as business development manager for North America, IT corporation.
Real Estate associate.
President at Polish-Floridan business group for economic development between the two. For example we are working on economic corridor concept between Poland and Florida to create new strategic flow between the two due to geopolitical developments like Mexico-Florida port cooperation, one of the Belt and Road Initiative entry points to Europe is through Poland etc.
Former president of Polish young professionals network in Florida.

Active in Polish American community, recognized by many as a community leader, organizing trade missions between Poland and Florida, Polish American heritage events, humanitarian aid projects like support for Haiti after hurricane Matthew where with Polish American parishes we collected 60 boxes of food, medicine and baby necessities.

Also, I am very active with Florida, Miami and Broward county economic development teams, and recognize by Broward county as county liaison to Poland. Additionally, I have broad network in Polish American leadership, as well as diplomatic personnel from the Polish embassy (like the Ambassador) and in Polish government (like Speaker of the Polish Senate). I am also involved in Republican Party structures in Florida.

Lived in Poland, Netherlands, South Korea, one month in Brazzaville, Republic of Congo and obviously in the US. Overall traveled to 55 countries in 5 continents.

Regional expertise:
US military is increasing its presence in Poland and Romania, as the CEE region is the choke point/entrance to the European Peninsula and the Eurasian landmasses. China and Russia are actively present in the region in the asymmetric warfare (cyber attracts and disinformation, green people in Crimea etc), and NATO alliance is analyzing how to defend the Baltic states with article 5. The increased presence requires more intel for the region and understanding of regional relations shaped by history and culture. In this picture Poland would be probably the main land army responsible on defending the Eastern flank of NATO, until the heavy cavalry will arrive, and it will require Intel personnel who can be useful in this scenario to communicate with Polish counterparts.

Understanding South Korea and Japanese geopolitics.

LoR
From whom LoR would be the most important? People with military experience, professionals and businessman's with clearance, professors, political leaders, priest, economic development agencies?
Thank you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Reserve selection boards are like applying for a civilian job. They require some sort of work experience (whether that's military and/or civilian). Read the Reserve Intel Program Authorization (it's easy to find with a google search), go through the requirements and think to yourself, "do I meet and/or exceed what is required?".

You lack any sort of Intel experience and while I get you're "familiar" with world politics, that's not really what Intel is all about...

Geopolitician

RestructuringGuru thanks for the comment. I appreciate direct and honest comments :)

I found this one before
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-.../Documents/PA-208A_INTEL_Reserve_May-2019.pdf

From the education requirements I have all what I need. BA in international economic relations with regional focus on Central and Eastern Europe with the knowledge of Polish language.

Now I don't have the military intelligence background for sure (some nuclear policy understanding, and than the business side of history/geography/philosophy/culture/economics). I wondered if my business and public policy background could make it up for that. In the end I would like to talk with someone to see where those experiences fit best, but didn't really have luck with the right people.

One person I know who was Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Europe and NATO Policy said that I fit very well into the intel for the sole purpose of knowing the region of CEE in economics, innovation, infrastructure, cultural and historical background. That's actually the person who motivated me to do it...

Thanks to your comment I actually found finally something useful:

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/communitymanagers/reserve/selres/Documents/1835_Community_Info_Sheet_Oct_2019.pdf

Combatant Command Staff: Support exercises, develop plans, manage programs, perform operational intelligence and produce supporting documents.
Operational Intelligence: Deliver near real-time intelligence assessments to decision makers and commanders.
Those two fields would be the one I see my self fitting.

exNavyOffRec

RestructuringGuru thanks for the comment. I appreciate direct and honest comments :)

I found this one before
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-.../Documents/PA-208A_INTEL_Reserve_May-2019.pdf

From the education requirements I have all what I need. BA in international economic relations with regional focus on Central and Eastern Europe with the knowledge of Polish language.

Now I don't have the military intelligence background for sure (some nuclear policy understanding, and than the business side of history/geography/philosophy/culture/economics). I wondered if my business and public policy background could make it up for that. In the end I would like to talk with someone to see where those experiences fit best, but didn't really have luck with the right people.

One person I know who was Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Europe and NATO Policy said that I fit very well into the intel for the sole purpose of knowing the region of CEE in economics, innovation, infrastructure, cultural and historical background. That's actually the person who motivated me to do it...

Thanks to your comment I actually found finally something useful:
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-...uments/1835_Community_Info_Sheet_Oct_2019.pdf

Combatant Command Staff: Support exercises, develop plans, manage programs, perform operational intelligence and produce supporting documents.
Operational Intelligence: Deliver near real-time intelligence assessments to decision makers and commanders.
Those two fields would be the one I see my self fitting.

There is what the minimum requirements are (which is the PA and info sheet) then there is who actually gets selected the experience in the field is often key to getting selected, in addition a Master's is also pretty key to getting selected. The panel interview will be another big step, if they don't give you 10's that will hurt bad, depending on who is doing your panel interview they may have a set policy where unless you have X you will not get a 10 score.

I know it can be frustrating when you read the PA and info sheet then to find out just that isn't enough, before I earned my PHR I applied for a job that I easily met the requirements for, however in talking to the recruiter he was instructed that anyone without a PHR would be automatically rejected.

Ancalagon

Hi all, applying to Crypto/Intel/SWO this month for the upcoming board. Curious if I'm competitive, because it's hard to find other people's profiles that match my own. I feel my 3x LORs are less impressive than pretty much everyone else here:

Prior Army, 7.5 years HUMINT (4 years as NCO, including 1 year deployed to Iraq)
OAR: 71
Undergrad GPA: 3.6 (Bachelors in Political Science & North Korean Studies)
Graduate GPA: 3.4 (Masters in International Affairs)
Language proficiency: 3/3 Korean from DLI
3x Letters of Rec: 1x Current Army O-4 who was our company XO and also my direct supervisor during my last year in the Army; 1x Graduate school professor who knew me well; 1x Close graduate school colleague who is now a GS-12 or -13 at DIA

Now that I'm turning in the final bits of my board package, I'm starting to get all the butterflies! What am I looking at, realistically? Thanks.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Hi all, applying to Crypto/Intel/SWO this month for the upcoming board. Curious if I'm competitive, because it's hard to find other people's profiles that match my own. I feel my 3x LORs are less impressive than pretty much everyone else here:

Prior Army, 7.5 years HUMINT (4 years as NCO, including 1 year deployed to Iraq)
3x Letters of Rec: 1x Current Army O-4 who was our company XO and also my direct supervisor during my last year in the Army; 1x Graduate school professor who knew me well; 1x Close graduate school colleague who is now a GS-12 or -13 at DIA

Now that I'm turning in the final bits of my board package, I'm starting to get all the butterflies! What am I looking at, realistically? Thanks.

Make sure you are reading the program authorizations and VERIFYING you are in fact eligible for each program.

For CW, go to subpara 6b:
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/communitymanagers/Documents/PA-108C_CW_Apr-2019.pdf

jhaselti

Crypto, not likely because the PA section 6.b says that they will not take prior enlisted over 5 years, up to 6 with waiver but not beyond 6.
Intel your OAR seems great from what ive seen, the gpa is about average. But its a crapshoot with so many people applying and little amount of openings, but your chance is 0 if you dont try right?
SWO you can get in if you have an age waiver since youre prior enlisted. Its 32 otherwise.

Ancalagon

Thanks! I hadn't noticed that requirement before. I left the Army in 2011 and am currently a civilian. Does the time limit bullet still apply to me, then?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Thanks! I hadn't noticed that requirement before. I left the Army in 2011 and am currently a civilian. Does the time limit bullet still apply to me, then?

Yes, everyone whether it's prior enlisted or active duty enlisted. The reason being is that allowing people with high time in service essentially gives them the opportunity to retire sooner. The communities want their officers the opportunity to be considered and selected for O-5 before deciding to retire.

Ancalagon

Thanks for the quick info! The crypto prior service time limit looks pretty ironclad. I'll have to talk to my recruiter about this and see what he says.

cmundey

Hey all, hoping for at least some insight here. This is my second time submitting for Supply within a year. I retook my OAR yesterday and improved a bit.

Degree: B.A. Mathematics
GPA: 3.5
OAR (1st attempt): 48
OAR (2nd attempt): 54
LOR: 3. 1 professor, 1 work supervisor, 1 life-long godparent. I knew using a godparent might hurt me, but my options are limited for references, especially someone who could speak for my work ethic and personality over the span of 20 years.
Clean medical record and no issues with the law.
Background: Have been at a major retailer for 5 years, 3 of which have been in various management positions.

For this board, my recruiter suggested I dual process as enlisted and officer. He said that in his experience, candidates going through their second attempt for a board have a higher chance of being selected if the board sees they're committed to both sides of joining the Navy. Interesting that he presented that option to me because if I'm unable commission then I plan on enlisting. Does anyone have an experience about dual processing?

I personally feel a lot more confident going into the March board considering my OAR score improvement, revised motivational statement and the addition of at least one more reference. I have done a lot of research on Supply and from what I've read a competitive OAR score is 50s-60s, so I'm basically right in the middle of that.

Does anyone think this enough of an improvement to have hope at being picked up this time?