• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

CowboyFan15

First timer here looking to see where I stack up against the rest. Also have a question about medical eligibility. Spoke with Millington already and they gave me a somewhat vague answer to my question. Looking to submit for IWC Board in 16 SEP 19 for Intel (I'm an IS). Started my commissioning physical and been given the green light. However, I have an appt with the surgeon after my physical to see if I need surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. I'm cleared medically, but surgery would take place in June, and I would be back to full duty after the board adjourns. Should I wait to submit for the next board once I get cleared medically or go forward with the 4th Quarter submission? Thanks in advance

Stats:
36 yoa / M / IS1(IW/EXW) / 10 years in at time of Submission / ISC Eligible
Last Three Evals: EP (#10 of 93 and Instructor of the Year; 4.29 / RSCA-3.93), P (6 months on board; Trait Avg-3.14, RSCA: 3.83), EP (Transfer Eval; Trait Avg 3.57, RSCA-3.57)
3.3 GPA
B.S.L. in Criminal Justice
Excelsior College
Pursuing MBA, Liberty University
LOR: 2x O-5 (Ix CAPT SEL), 1x USMC O-4 (LTCOL SEL)
OAR: Pending 13 May 19
Applying: Intel
Rufus Taylor Intel Instruction Award Winner FY2019

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
First timer here looking to see where I stack up against the rest. Also have a question about medical eligibility. Spoke with Millington already and they gave me a somewhat vague answer to my question. Looking to submit for IWC Board in 16 SEP 19 for Intel (I'm an IS). Started my commissioning physical and been given the green light. However, I have an appt with the surgeon after my physical to see if I need surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. I'm cleared medically, but surgery would take place in June, and I would be back to full duty after the board adjourns. Should I wait to submit for the next board once I get cleared medically or go forward with the 4th Quarter submission? Thanks in advance

Stats:
Last Three Evals: EP (#10 of 93 and Instructor of the Year; 4.29 / RSCA-3.93), P (6 months on board; Trait Avg-3.14, RSCA: 3.83), EP (Transfer Eval; Trait Avg 3.57, RSCA-3.57)
3.3 GPA
Excelsior College

Being a cowboys fan makes you ineligible to join. Too many of you guys already in the commissioned ranks.

Note - A CAPT (select) is still called a CDR. Only CPO selectees roll with the (select) rank.

AULANI

Stats:
3.3 GPA
Excelsior College
I was almost the same boat as you. 39 y/o prior IS1. Dislocated shoulder (tore some stuff too) prior to OCS. I can't tell you what you should/shouldn't do but I definitely wouldn't show up to OCS with an injury or having just recovered from surgery.

CowboyFan15

Being a cowboys fan makes you ineligible to join. Too many of you guys already in the commissioned ranks.

Note - A CAPT (select) is still called a CDR. Only CPO selectees roll with the (select) rank.
Besides being a Cowboys fan, how does the rest of it look?

And the "SEL" is a holdover from this CAPT I used to work for who picked up his first star. Even though he didn't get promoted for another year, he had us address him as Admiral Select until he promoted.

exNavyOffRec

Stats:
3.3 GPA
Excelsior College

There is medically cleared to be fit for duty and medically cleared to go to OCS, those things are not equal, for instance minor hernia surgery is a 6 month wait before you can be cleared to go to OCS, I worked with a guy who was in excellent physical shape, maxed out everything on the PRT, ended up getting a torn rotator cuff, he was cleared fit for duty several weeks later but could not do any exercises using that would involving using his arm for 6 months, wasn't back to full workout mode for 1 year.

You need to ask the surgeon how long until you can do high intensity physical fitness with no restrictions, even then it is still up to N3M how long you have to wait after surgery, you could submit, get selected, then lose the spot due to length of medical wait, and technically you are supposed to be fully fit and ready to go to OCS when you submit, so I am wonder how you are cleared medically and if N3M say that in your paperwork.

Unpriced

-25 years old
-Bachelor of Applied science in Business
-3.52 GPA
- good work history in Agriculture and Heavy Duty Truck industry as account manager.
-LOR'S retired E-6, Retired Ranger, and current employer
-49 OAR

Pursuing Supply

Thoughts?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
-25 years old
-Bachelor of Applied science in Business
-3.52 GPA
- good work history in Agriculture and Heavy Duty Truck industry as account manager.
-LOR'S retired E-6, Retired Ranger, and current employer
-49 OAR

Pursuing Supply

Thoughts?

Boards don't care about your work history/resume as you're also competing against folks fresh out of college. Your GPA and degree are where they need to be, your OAR is okay... and would recommend retaking in the event you're not selected.

CowboyFan15

Update to my stats with new OAR score. Not great but waiverable for Intel

Stats:
3.3 GPA
Excelsior College
LOR: 2x O-5, 1x USMC O-4
OAR: 48

AULANI

Update to my stats with new OAR score. Not great but waiverable for Intel

Stats:
3.3 GPA
Excelsior College
LOR: 2x O-5, 1x USMC O-4
OAR: 48
Your GPA and OAR score are killing you. I hope you get it though. Good luck!

CowboyFan15

Your GPA and OAR score are killing you. I hope you get it though. Good luck!
I know, my first 2.5 years of college weren’t great and I couldn’t get over the chiefs in the other room talking while I was taking my OAR. Had to step out and ask them to keep it down. No excuses though, I’ll still submit for the 16SEP IWC board though.

AULANI

I know, my first 2.5 years of college weren’t great and I couldn’t get over the chiefs in the other room talking while I was taking my OAR. Had to step out and ask them to keep it down. No excuses though, I’ll still submit for the 16SEP IWC board though.
Like I said, good luck. Surprisingly when I went through NIOBC there were no other prior IS's besides me at the schoolhouse (besides some of the instructors). Lots of CT's though.

CowboyFan15

Like I said, good luck. Surprisingly when I went through NIOBC there were no other prior IS's besides me at the schoolhouse (besides some of the instructors). Lots of CT's though.
How long ago did you go through? Quite possible that I taught one or two of your classes. I’m stationed there now

AULANI

How long ago did you go through? Quite possible that I taught one or two of your classes. I’m stationed there now
We only had two first classes teach us. One was a 3910 and taught the imagery block obviously and the other guy taught us how to navigate SIPRNET. Both of them were great instructors.

DASHTitor

Good morning. Like everyone else here, I've been considering an officer commission and would appreciate having a second opinion from what my recruiter says regarding how competitive my application will be for the upcoming board, as I've seen it mentioned in here that sometimes recruiters will suggest applying just to fill their officer application quote. If I'm not considered competitive, would anyone here be familiar with the Army's officer standards if my goal is to be an officer?

Degrees (GPA): BS in Economics (3.0, have some CS and Physics background), Masters in Geophysics (incomplete, but about 1 year from completion with a 3.6)
OAR: 63. I haven't taken the ASTB because, to my understanding, any position that requires it I'm ineligible due to age.
Field: Intel

Edit: I have no prior service.

Last edited: