• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

kbal731

Going to throw my stats out there. Applying for SWO
GPA: 2.83
Degree: BS Biology
OAR: 54
Work experience: 4 years patient care , 2 years military medical research (current)
LORs: O-5 SWO, O-6 SEAL, O-6 Public Health Service (supervisor), Principle Investigator (supervisor)
Extra stuff: Chapter president of fraternity in college, former Division I athlete (if you consider cheerleading a sport), publications in military research, nationally ranked amateur bodybuilder

Reenrolled at my alma mater to take some classes to try to boost the GPA. 4 classes away from a second bachelors in Neuroscience.
Still waiting on an appointment for medical screening. Only holdup I could see would be vision related, still correctable to 20/20.

Last edited:

senatesnob

Nothing worse than the House of Represenatives
Sort of in the same boat with March 4. Hopefully, I get in on 1830 but will include SWO if I don't.

Applying: 1830/Intel
Undergrad: Government (aka - Poli Sci) and MENA Politics, GPA 3.2
Grad: Masters, Military Operations Arts and Science (PME 1 via USAF Air Command and Staff College), GPA 3.85
OAR: 55
MEPS: Good to go
Work Experience: 4 Years on Capitol Hill, 2 working in Senator's office on Defense, FA, Intel, and Vet issues
LORs: Senator (the boss), Chief National Security / Sanctions Council, Intel Committee Professional Staff, Rabbi
Extra stuff: Volunteering (min once per month), additionally put on 5-6 events for the DC Jewish community per month, marathoner

Also including appraisals from when I originally applied 1835/Intel Reserve that were all 10s but recommended I go active, have 2 Captains and an LCDR.

Navy10524

Would I be competitive for intel? Should I start down the rabbit hole?

I am 36, currently active duty EMN1 (SS). My 11 year point is in this year.
Undergrad is Computer Science with about 2.8 GPA. Grad is MS in System Engineering with 4.0 GPA
OAR was 64 with ASTB 8/8/8 (April 2011)
Completed PPME, JPME, Board member FCPOA, LPO at sea currently. Last Eval MP (first at command), previous was periodic EP with breakout.

Don't yet have interviews or LORs, but could pursue those.

Thanks for the help!

AULANI

For those of you that are trying for 1830 ask yourself if being a Naval officer is more important than being an intel officer. If it is, then put down SWO, you'll probably get it. Your recruiter will know your chances better than anyone else besides the recruiters that post here on AW. The recruiters in Springfield, VA are awesome and they put a lot of 1830's through. They'll give you an honest answer. They put so many people in the Navy through that office they don't need to blow smoke up your ass to get you to join.

kbal731

For those of you that are trying for 1830 ask yourself if being a Naval officer is more important than being an intel officer. If it is, then put down SWO, you'll probably get it. Your recruiter will know your chances better than anyone else besides the recruiters that post here on AW. The recruiters in Springfield, VA are awesome and they put a lot of 1830's through. They'll give you an honest answer. They put so many people in the Navy through that office they don't need to blow smoke up your ass to get you to join.

Well thats a relief to hear, I'm working on my package through this office for SWO. My OR seemed pretty optimistic

ThomasM22

Hello,

I'm applying for 1830 as a civilian for the coming spring board. I was told I could do SWO as backup for over 9 months until they recently told me that I'm too old and Intel is my only option. Frustrating to say the least. I'm wondering now if I stand a decent chance at getting 1830..

-Age 31
-Degree: BA Political Science , MA Classics, 3.45 combined GPA (3.75 for the MA)
-OAR: 61 (didn't study, was told not to retake)
-Work experience: 3 years at NOAA doing web development, one year of teaching, nothing else too impressive
-References: NOAA program director, college professor, friend with security clearance who works on subs (was told they value references with a clearance)
-Extras: writing awards, coaching youth sports, college gov member, honor roll and various academic awards, reading group organizer
-MEPS cleared
-strong personal statement

Any insight into my chances would be appreciated.

-Thomas

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello,

I'm applying for 1830 as a civilian for the coming spring board. I was told I could do SWO as backup for over 9 months until they recently told me that I'm too old and Intel is my only option. Frustrating to say the least. I'm wondering now if I stand a decent chance at getting 1830..

-Age 31
-Degree: BA Political Science , MA Classics, 3.45 combined GPA (3.75 for the MA)
-Work experience: 3 years at NOAA doing web development, one year of teaching, nothing else too impressive
-References: NOAA program director, college professor, friend with security clearance who works on subs (was told they value references with a clearance)
-Extras: writing awards, coaching youth sports, college gov member, honor roll and various academic awards, reading group organizer
-MEPS cleared

-Thomas

Are your prior enlisted? SWO cutoff is 29 for those not prior enlisted.

ThomasM22

Are your prior enlisted? SWO cutoff is 29 for those not prior enlisted.
Thanks for the reply. I have no prior military service. At least two people at the recruiting station incorrectly told me I could get an age waiver for SWO, but recently they reversed and said what you're saying. So I'm just wondering about 1830, although I also put down 1810 CW and 1820 IP as 2nd and 3rd options, which I was told are long shots since I don't have prior experience in cryptology or cybersecurity.

AULANI

Hello,

-Age 31
-MEPS cleared

-Thomas
Could you not apply for OCEANO too?

ThomasM22

Could you not apply for OCEANO too?
I don't have a science degree so I don't think so. I have taken calc I and calc based physics but I don't think it's enough. I will double check on that though.

Really I am just wondering if I am competitive for Intel, can you guys give any advice there?

Thomas

AULANI

I don't have a science degree so I don't think so. I have taken calc I and calc based physics but I don't think it's enough. I will double check on that though.

Really I am just wondering if I am competitive for Intel, can you guys give any advice there?

Thomas
Well, your GPA is on the low side. Your OAR score is good though. I'm not sure how much references come into play (I don't think they really matter IMO). Your experience is not really relatable to Intel but I've seen people get picked up with random work experience before.

Timing is everything too, it just depends on how strong your package is compared to everyone else this particular cycle. I'm not sure if they've ever not selected anyone. That would suck.

Bottom line: Give it a shot... it's not like you are going to get another Master's any time soon or suddenly start doing intel work for a 3-letter agency to build up that work experience so you might as well apply with what you have.