• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Admins, request sticky on this one.

Frequently I get asked what is considered "competitive". For those not familiar with this, a competitive profile is a set of preferred (not minimum) qualifications based off previous selection boards. This is essentially what Navy Recruiting Command considers competitive. Of course they vary for specific programs and by no means this is a tool to discourage otherwise qualified applicants. For instance, you should still submit your kit if you have a average/below average ASTB score but a very stellar GPA/major.

Biggest favors for a competitive profile include the following: GPA, OAR/ASTB scores, SAT scores (NUPOC/Collegiate programs only), and other factors (leadership experience, etc.).

With that being said, here's the competitive profile for the major GENOFF programs. This is updated as of September, 2013.

Pilot (1390):

3.3 GPA, 58/6/7/7 ASTB,
Positive factors: Flight license / experience. Leadership/management experience, extracurricular/sports involvement, Strong EVALs if prior service.
Negative factors: Drug use within last year, debt in collection, criminal record.

NFO (1370):

3.25 GPA, 50/6/6/6 ASTB
Positive factors: Flight license / experience. Leadership/management experience, extracurricular/sports involvement, Strong EVALs if prior service.
Negative factors: Drug use within last year, debt in collection, criminal record.

SWO (1160):

3.4 GPA, 50 OAR score
Positive factors: Leadership/management experience, extracurricular/sports involvement, Strong EVALs if prior service

SEAL (1180):

3.5 GPA, 43 OAR score
Other factors: Run/Swim <9:00, Pushups/Situps >100, Pullups >20, Competitive sports, Extensive Leadership, Foreign language proficiency

CEC (5100):

3.3 GPA, Architecture/Civil Eng Major (or similar)
Other factors: EIT; Eng/Construction internships; Community Involvement; Leadership positions in athletics or campus organizations, strong motivation statement

Renegade One

None
Frequently I get asked what is considered "competitive". For those not familiar with this, a competitive profile is a set of preferred (not minimum) qualifications based off previous selection boards. This is essentially what Navy Recruiting Command considers competitive. Of course they vary for specific programs and by no means this is a tool to discourage otherwise qualified applicants. [More…]
Very informative. Thanks for the post.

IntelNinja

I get to make up my own? Hmm...
Very informative! I think the only other program for which people consistently seek approval on competitiveness is Intel. If you have those stats, might be worth editing the original post to add.

Renegade One

None
Breaks my heart to see NFOs rostered at the bottom of the pack, GPA-wise. Ah, well…the community must be different these days!

Or maybe not…;)

"They also serve who arrive at the mishap site .5 milliseconds after the pilot…"

exNavyOffRec

I'm curious why SEALs need the highest GPAs but lowest OAR scores.

"As long as you are strong like bull, is okay."

Just because a person is competitive doesn't mean a person is going to be selected, the SEALs I had and saw selected had high GPA's and many had graduate degrees

On CEC the board members I dealt with would not give the "ok" to a candidate that was eligible for the EIT but did not have an EIT.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
INTEL is on the sheet, but it's way too broad and I think it will confuse applicants. But from what I've seen you better have at least a 3.5 GPA (3.3 if you have a Master's) and a 55 + OAR score to be considered competitive.

Having read the bios of everyone in my NIOBC class I am actually now more confused about what they are looking for in an intel applicant than I was checking out this site before applying to OCS (excluding lat transfers or NAMI whammy victims). With their selectivity rate so low it is a massive crap shoot. I will add that at least half of us have master's degrees, including the priors, and given the size of my class we probably make up about half of the intel slots issued in a given IDC board making for a decent sample.

exNavyOffRec

Having read the bios of everyone in my NIOBC class I am actually now more confused about what they are looking for in an intel applicant than I was checking out this site before applying to OCS (excluding lat transfers or NAMI whammy victims). With their selectivity rate so low it is a massive crap shoot. I will add that at least half of us have master's degrees, including the priors, and given the size of my class we probably make up about half of the intel slots issued in a given IDC board making for a decent sample.

I would be interested to hear what your makeup was of both prior and non prior, from what I saw most of everyone we had selected had high GPA's, tech degrees, extracurricular activities, and a good number did have graduate degrees or working toward one.

KNSnowy

I'm interested in what the communities prefer in the "hybrid" candidates, if that's the right word. For example, are SWO/Intel officers just the left-overs that didn't quite make the Intel cut, or are there more specific skill sets?

I know usually in this case you start SWO and laterally transfer. Other than that, I haven't seen much info on this.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'm interested in what the communities prefer in the "hybrid" candidates, if that's the right word. For example, are SWO/Intel officers just the left-overs that didn't quite make the Intel cut, or are there more specific skill sets?

I know usually in this case you start SWO and laterally transfer. Other than that, I haven't seen much info on this.

The catch all is you need to be a great SWO first.

Lateral transfer is a different beast. Before you can even think about it, you NEED your SWO pin and your first tour CO's endorsement.