• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

TOPGUN1991

Naval Aviation Hopeful!
Thanks for this. It really helps alot! I wonder though, if you have a tooth out of place in your mouth, is that a pilot dis-qualifier or is it no big deal? (It's not that bad, just had one grow in the wrong place)

KNSnowy

if you have a tooth out of place in your mouth, is that a pilot dis-qualifier or is it no big deal?

If they say it's a big deal, are you gonna knock your tooth out before MEPS? :D

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Thanks for this. It really helps alot! I wonder though, if you have a tooth out of place in your mouth, is that a pilot dis-qualifier or is it no big deal? (It's not that bad, just had one grow in the wrong place)
My teeth aren't that great. Had some knocked out of place and one chipped in HS basketball and never really had dental insurance to get them fixed (except for the chip). When I applied to USMC OCS a few years ago, the dentist down at NAMI advised me to get several pulled. Again, no insurance, so I haven't. My teeth have never been brought up by anyone during my process into Navy OCS and being a final select for NFO. Unless you have something major like cavities or gingivitis, you'll be alright.

DIVO

SEAL and CEC candidates have to do an interview. That is why they don't necessarily list what they consider competitive. The CEC interview there are two write ups. One your recruiter receives AMD adds to the kit AMD the other gets sent to the board. The accession officer sits on the selection board and provides their input.

SEAL candidates. Recent change. If you are recommended, you go to an interview. They will ask all sorts of questions it is recommends to know current world events and have an opinion.

The other thing to know is which communities are selecting. Aviation is selecting like mad. Which means in about a year, it'll be super hard to get accepted. SWO use to be an easy one to get accepted to, not now. It's more competitive than aviation. Intel - if you know your congressperson. That's a bonus. Political letters of rec, a cultural experience or language skills are all to be highlighted in your kit.

Jayvilla43

I think these qualifications are not up to date; well at least for Pilot it isn't. My officer recruiter told me that the Navy just lowered the required GPA to a 2.5. I am submitting a Pilot packet for the January 2014 deadline.

exNavyOffRec

I think these qualifications are not up to date; well at least for Pilot it isn't. My officer recruiter told me that the Navy just lowered the required GPA to a 2.5. I am submitting a Pilot packet for the January 2014 deadline.

Merry Christmas and welcome to the site.

competitive = scores that are likely to get you selected.

2.5 is the minimum GPA, that has been the program authorization minimum for close to 10 years.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'll just say that there are always exceptions. I commissioned with a couple guys in NROTC who were picked up for pilot with < 2.5 GPA. One wasn't even physically qualified, and hadn't taken the ASTB. Neither had technical majors, or tier 1/2 whatever it is called now. I also have a current squadron-matte who claims to have had significantly lower than a 2.5 coming out of USNA. Still ended up in Hornets.....

This all being guys in the '07/'08 YG

exNavyOffRec

I'll just say that there are always exceptions. I commissioned with a couple guys in NROTC who were picked up for pilot with < 2.5 GPA. One wasn't even physically qualified, and hadn't taken the ASTB. Neither had technical majors, or tier 1/2 whatever it is called now. I also have a current squadron-matte who claims to have had significantly lower than a 2.5 coming out of USNA. Still ended up in Hornets.....

This all being guys in the '07/'08 YG

I had stash Ensigns spend time at my NRD that were SNA who were from NROTC that graduated (YG 10 and 11) with GPA's pretty close to 2.5 but they were NROTC and NROTC SNA selection competitiveness =/= OCS SNA selection competitiveness

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I had stash Ensigns spend time at my NRD that were SNA who were from NROTC that graduated (YG 10 and 11) with GPA's pretty close to 2.5 but they were NROTC and NROTC SNA selection competitiveness =/= OCS SNA selection competitiveness

Yeah, sorry, I guess I didn't notice this was OCS related.....I'm sure it is right there in the first post or something so my B

exNavyOffRec

Yeah, sorry, I guess I didn't notice this was OCS related.....I'm sure it is right there in the first post or something so my B

Actually your post can help show something important, a person must have a good academic background to get into USNA or NROTC and yet some still graduate with GPA's that you mentioned, odds are that person didn't think that would happen but it did, however because they are in NROTC they still gained a commission, if they had passed on that scholarship that may have not happened, so hopefully if someone is offered a NROTC scholarship they think long and hard before they pass it up if they really want a commission.

MambaJamba1124

Winging it!!
My teeth aren't that great. Had some knocked out of place and one chipped in HS basketball and never really had dental insurance to get them fixed (except for the chip). When I applied to USMC OCS a few years ago, the dentist down at NAMI advised me to get several pulled. Again, no insurance, so I haven't. My teeth have never been brought up by anyone during my process into Navy OCS and being a final select for NFO. Unless you have something major like cavities or gingivitis, you'll be alright.

Is gigivitis and cavities really a disqualifier? I mean gingivitis affects 4 out of 5 people?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You don't go to dental before OCS. If you have any dental issues, you get classified as a class 4 and can't deploy until they are fixed.

If you need work done at OCS, they do it in like week 9 or 10 and you get a few days off while being high on minor pain killers.

MambaJamba1124

Winging it!!
You don't go to dental before OCS. If you have any dental issues, you get classified as a class 4 and can't deploy until they are fixed.

If you need work done at OCS, they do it in like week 9 or 10 and you get a few days off while being high on minor pain killers.

So it is pretty much get any issues affecting you, done before you are supposed to get deployed. How does it affect training after OCS? I don't have any cavities, but like I said almost everyone has gingivitis to a certain extent.

navy2014

I'm having trouble finding credible information about stuff I read on these boards, so I'm left asking some probably obvious questions--what exactly is this hybrid SWO/Intel deal?

DIVO

SWO/IDC deal --- you train as a SWO first - then as the other portion. So SWO/IP - you will go to a ship, get warfare qualified- train as an IP - then do the IP job on a ship and hopefully get IDC warfare qualified.