• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello, I wanted to see what you all think regarding how competitive (if at all) I may be for a Navy Intel position.

Major: Poli sci (UC San Diego)
GPA: 3.7
OAR: 47
Experience: student government (high school and college), intel courses at college
Letters of Rec: a current Navy commander, university dean, current work supervisor, lawyer (intern boss)

My recruiter said the OAR requirement for intel is 50 but can be waived up to 45. I want to retake the OAR, but I am not sure what I should try to aim for (the higher I aim for, the longer I study).

Appreciated in advance!

Intel isn’t really a program that you want to have a waiver for..,

exNavyOffRec

Hello, I wanted to see what you all think regarding how competitive (if at all) I may be for a Navy Intel position.

Major: Poli sci (UC San Diego)
GPA: 3.7
OAR: 47
Experience: student government (high school and college), intel courses at college
Letters of Rec: a current Navy commander, university dean, current work supervisor, lawyer (intern boss)

My recruiter said the OAR requirement for intel is 50 but can be waived up to 45. I want to retake the OAR, but I am not sure what I should try to aim for (the higher I aim for, the longer I study).

Appreciated in advance!
Like what was said you want to avoid a waiver as most programs limit the numbers they accept with waivers, if you get 50 or better that prevents the negative light from shining on your application, anything higher won't do much else for you.

finnthepotato

Hi all! I was directed here from the r/newtothenavy subreddit, and they told me to come here for more specifics on my package. I just wanted to get some honest opinions of my chances of making it into either the CWO or Intel programs. I'm attending a 4-year university, with graduation set for this May. GPA is 3.08 (expected to rise to 3.1-something by graduation), OAR Score was 53 (1st attempt, 2 more left), no prior service but a year of experience working for my university's Networking division. I'm also a double major, expected to graduate with two bachelors degrees in Computer Science and Music respectively. Any and all input is welcome, I just need some idea of how I stand atm. Thank you in advance!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi all! I was directed here from the r/newtothenavy subreddit, and they told me to come here for more specifics on my package. I just wanted to get some honest opinions of my chances of making it into either the CWO or Intel programs. I'm attending a 4-year university, with graduation set for this May. GPA is 3.08 (expected to rise to 3.1-something by graduation), OAR Score was 53 (1st attempt, 2 more left), no prior service but a year of experience working for my university's Networking division. I'm also a double major, expected to graduate with two bachelors degrees in Computer Science and Music respectively. Any and all input is welcome, I just need some idea of how I stand atm. Thank you in advance!

I would have your sights set on SWO or pilot / NFO.

exNavyOffRec

While your CS degree is a plus your GPA is about .4 below the historical average.

Is your goal to be a USN officer or do a specific job in the USN?

SpadeQueen

Hello, I wanted to ask your opinion on my competitiveness for selection for the Supply Corps Officer Position for the upcoming board on March 24.
Female
OAR:43 (first attempt)
GPA:3.53
Major: Bachelor of Science Advertising -Persuasive Messaging
LOR: 2 from college professors

Should I retake OAR to attempt to score a 49 and qualify for Immediate Selection, or would I be considered competitive for board selection? I have not completed MEPS yet.

exNavyOffRec

Hello, I wanted to ask your opinion on my competitiveness for selection for the Supply Corps Officer Position for the upcoming board on March 24.
Female
OAR:43 (first attempt)
GPA:3.53
Major: Bachelor of Science Advertising -Persuasive Messaging
LOR: 2 from college professors

Should I retake OAR to attempt to score a 49 and qualify for Immediate Selection, or would I be considered competitive for board selection? I have not completed MEPS yet.
The deadline is 3/11/24 the board is 4/22/24, if you can get to MEPS and a PQ letter by then go with what you have while continuing to study.

Angelo2001

Hello, I wanted to see how competitive I would be for an Naval Aviator position.
Male
GPA: ~3.5
OAR: 53
ASTB: 6,7,6
Major: Finance and Real Estate (double major)
PFT: Could get 290+
Prior service in the National Guard as a UH-60 mechanic, one deployment

jgeraghty

If you're able to submit for the upcoming board, I would do so. In the meantime, I would study for the ASTB and retest if needed. Currently, a 7/7/7 would qualify you for immediate selection assuming you don't need any waivers. This is fairly new, and it's unknown how long it will last. As it is, I could see your application going either way. If you're interested in the Marines, you probably have higher chances with that PFT.

Angelo2001

If you're able to submit for the upcoming board, I would do so. In the meantime, I would study for the ASTB and retest if needed. Currently, a 7/7/7 would qualify you for immediate selection assuming you don't need any waivers. This is fairly new, and it's unknown how long it will last. As it is, I could see your application going either way. If you're interested in the Marines, you probably have higher chances with that PFT.
Thank you very much for responding! I have been talking to a Marine OSO, but I would like to explore options since the ASTB is accepted across both branches. I am somewhat nervous about retesting and obtaining a lower score - this would be my third attempt. Why is 7-7-7 an immediate acceptance?

maxk

Thank you very much for responding! I have been talking to a Marine OSO, but I would like to explore options since the ASTB is accepted across both branches. I am somewhat nervous about retesting and obtaining a lower score - this would be my third attempt. Why is 7-7-7 an immediate acceptance?
It is a new program they started in November. Here is a link to the program authorization. If you don’t get selected in the upcoming board, I would definitely recommend taking it again. I took it a second time with only about 2 months of additional studying, and increased my scores drastically. As a general rule, most people score better the second time round because you know what to expect and what to prepare for.

Angelo2001

It is a new program they started in November. Here is a link to the program authorization. If you don’t get selected in the upcoming board, I would definitely recommend taking it again. I took it a second time with only about 2 months of additional studying, and increased my scores drastically. As a general rule, most people score better the second time round because you know what to expect and what to prepare for.
Thank you for this link. I reached out to a Navy OSO and she mentioned that NFO was immediate selection. She stated that there was no longer immediate selection for SNA's. Maybe the criteria changed since November, or maybe she just was not up to date with the current recruiting information? I specifically inquired about 7-7-7 as immediate selection for SNA.

I think you're right, apply now and if I am not selected, study again. The damn ANIT portion is so random. First time I got a 3, second attempt was a 6.

jgeraghty

Thank you for this link. I reached out to a Navy OSO and she mentioned that NFO was immediate selection. She stated that there was no longer immediate selection for SNA's. Maybe the criteria changed since November, or maybe she just was not up to date with the current recruiting information? I specifically inquired about 7-7-7 as immediate selection for SNA.

I think you're right, apply now and if I am not selected, study again. The damn ANIT portion is so random. First time I got a 3, second attempt was a 6.
If immediate selection has ended for SNA, that just means there's no rush to shoot for 7/7/7. If this board doesn't go your way, be sure to study hard, take time to prepare, and crush your retest.

maxk

Interesting that they are not taking immediate selection applications, as I just got selected on Wednesday through that program.