• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

Wannabe_IP

Hello everyone,

I am really excited to apply for OCS. Here is a little background about me. I come from a military family with my father being an IT Navy vet of 20 years. I just graduated from university and currently work a corporate job in analytics and am 22 years old. I have over 5 years in organization leadership. I have held multiple positions of leadership in the orgs I was involved in. I was the president of my fraternity in college and I was the president of my band in high school. I am applying for IP!
Here are my stats:

Degrees: BS in Information Technology, BS in Economics
GPA: 3.67
OAR: 54
LORs: Total 3: IP O-1E (Previous IT Chief), Leadership professor, EVP of fraternity board.
Awards: John Philip Sousa Award (high school), Scholarships for Military Children, Fraternity leadership award.
2 Medical Waivers

I don't have a clue if my awards mean anything to the board. Would love yall's input!

Last edited:

sparty7140

Hey all,
Just adding another asking for my chances post in here to gauge if I should go for it or not. Currently 22, born and raised in the US but have lived abroad since I was 18.

Degree: Bachelor in Economics (from a Swedish School)
GPA: 3.4
OAR: 58
Leadership: I was the project manager for a buisness club at my school for a year. Team Capitan Tennis and Lacrosse (HS).
20 hours of previous flight experience if that means anything.
No previous service.
Fluent in Swedish and proficient in French

Tumbleweed33

Hey all,
Just adding another asking for my chances post in here to gauge if I should go for it or not. Currently 22, born and raised in the US but have lived abroad since I was 18.

Leadership: I was the project manager for a buisness club at my school for a year. Team Capitan Tennis and Lacrosse (HS).
No previous service.
You have to take the ASTB(with the OAR). Your scores from that will determine if you are competitive more than anything. There are lots of resources here to help you study. Keep digging around on this website and talk to your recruiter. The information is out there.

exNavyOffRec

Hey all,

No previous service.
If you haven't already taken the ASTB part and it is less than 30 days since you have taken the OAR then you can take that part, if over 30 days you need to retake the entire thing. The ASTB is key to you selection.

Hello!

I am applying for OCS. My first packet was put together in 2019, right before the pandemic hit, and I never heard back. I ended up pursuing a master's and I'm currently wrapping up my second master's. I was torn between continuing into a PhD program or trying my hand at OCS again. Other than the pandemic, I have no idea what happened with my 2019 packet. My new recruiter is a lot better and very supportive of my application. I'm just waiting on my LoRs at this point and curious at how competitive I would be.

Degrees: BA Business - Management Information Systems (3.33), Master's in Public Administration (3.87), MSc in International Development (3.5)
Leadership: I was the General Manager of a gym for 4 years. During the pandemic I was a Digital Literacy Officer at an NGO where I managed a digital transformation project. Currently employed as a systems administrator.

I'm casting a wide net and applying for Intel, IP, and SWO. I'd prefer Intel but my background in IT makes me feel more qualified for IP. However, I'm also interested in SWO and learning new things.

Thank you in advance!

exNavyOffRec

Hello!

I am applying for OCS. My first packet was put together in 2019, right before the pandemic hit, and I never heard back. I ended up pursuing a master's and I'm currently wrapping up my second master's. I was torn between continuing into a PhD program or trying my hand at OCS again. Other than the pandemic, I have no idea what happened with my 2019 packet. My new recruiter is a lot better and very supportive of my application. I'm just waiting on my LoRs at this point and curious at how competitive I would be.

Degrees: BA Business - Management Information Systems (3.33), Master's in Public Administration (3.87), MSc in International Development (3.5)
Leadership: I was the General Manager of a gym for 4 years. During the pandemic I was a Digital Literacy Officer at an NGO where I managed a digital transformation project. Currently employed as a systems administrator.

I'm casting a wide net and applying for Intel, IP, and SWO. I'd prefer Intel but my background in IT makes me feel more qualified for IP. However, I'm also interested in SWO and learning new things.

Thank you in advance!
If you never heard back you were probably not selected, unfortunately there are many recruiters that if you don't call them then they won't call you if you are a non select.

IP picks mainly those with STEM degrees, historically up in the 90% range, Intel and SWO you should be good for.

The thing to remember is never apply for anything you aren't ready to accept.

Empire16

Currently going into junior year at a top 130 school in the country.

Political Science major with a 4.0 currently and 1 semester done at a community college with a 3.9. Played sports entire life pretty much and now a member of a fraternity.
When should I take the ASTB ? I am also going to contact a recruiter soon.

Do I have decent odds at a SNA spot ? I am not a great math student either.

exNavyOffRec

Political Science major with a 4.0 currently and 1 semester done at a community college with a 3.9. Played sports entire life pretty much and now a member of a fraternity.

Your ASTB will determine your actual chances, talking to an OR is the start of a good plan.

esmbenbenek

That 3.9 gpa is really gonna hurt you.

aburg22

Hey everyone, I’ve seen articles stating that the Navy is somewhere between 7,000 to 13,000 bodies short for their recruiting goals this year. I wanted some opinions on how that affects the competitiveness of programs like Pilot/NFO. I plan on applying to Pilot next year and I’m wondering of the odds are at my favor.

sasebobeast

Hey everyone, I’ve seen articles stating that the Navy is somewhere between 7,000 to 13,000 bodies short for their recruiting goals this year. I wanted some opinions on how that affects the competitiveness of programs like Pilot/NFO. I plan on applying to Pilot next year and I’m wondering of the odds are at my favor.
If you are going aviation or swo, then the Navy doesn’t care about your major they see GPA as more weight. I can’t tell you how many people in my OCS class had random majors, with some majors I didn’t even know you can get a bachelors in. Aviators it’s all about ASTB. Big Navy is lacking lots of aviators as many are getting out due to other opportunities outside the navy. I was on an LHD the past 2 years and 4 aviators on my ship mini boss/ hanger bay officer: got out to go to business school, got out to go the airlines, got out of aviation went to medical school through navy medical school program, and another just getting out.

My first week 6-10 people in my OCS class dropped on request due to failing the eye screening with the doctor and being told they would be switching designators.

At flight school you go to an even more extensive eye screening exam. Two of my OCS classmates had to switch designators because they couldn’t pass the swim portion at flight school and both redesignated to supply corps. Lots of people drop out of flight school due to curriculum, other medical, and other out of their controls. Just ace the ASTB.

Big Navy is really hurting for pilots. If that is your dream go for it!

^Of course this is my speculation. I only been in about 2.75 years so I’m still fresh, but yeah damn graduated Navy OCS in APR2021. Anyone have question reach out personal message or whatever.

-ex SWO