• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

navy2014

SWO/IDC deal --- you train as a SWO first - then as the other portion. So SWO/IP - you will go to a ship, get warfare qualified- train as an IP - then do the IP job on a ship and hopefully get IDC warfare qualified.

Thanks. I'm assuming this is a distinct community you list on your application? What do you get, three choices? I keep seeing posts here about the number and order of your choices being more important than you would guess--like SWO not looking at you if you don't put it first, or not looking at you if you put it 3rd? I can't get much out of my recruiter about the communities.

KNSnowy

Divo is correct, as far as I understand. It seems like the SWO/IDC technically exists for Intel, IP and IW now, but it's not really "advertised."

So far the selection rates for SWO/IDC are very low (or even 0) for OCS, so it may not be a great designator for you to request, strategically. (That's your decision.)

But it seems like general gouge that if a community Board sees your packet, and really wants you for a designator you didn't request, you'll get the offer. I've seen a couple anecdotal occurrences of this, anyway.

So in my case, I requested Intel, SWO and IW, rather than spending one of my top 3 on a SWO/IDC request. That was just my takeaway.

Good luck!

DIVO

SWO options is a very small community. VERY SMALL. The IDC (INTEL/IW/IP) is the same board - if they select you, they will put you in the community they think you are the best fit for. I doubt someone will be selected for more than one. SWO, again, the PM is pro-X'ing all those who do not have it listed number 1.

And the ONLY cases I have had experience of getting an offer from a community that you did not apply to have been decisions made by Admirals -- One interviewed for Cyberwarfare with the Admiral and was offered an IW slot, the other interviewed for NUPOC and the Admiral said no, but how about IW.

SWO Options picked up a small handful last time and I am pretty sure the majority were from NRD Fleet.

azguy

None
phrogshoeswife and an Intel officer I worked with who worked for a bit back in DC have both said that the long term plan (who knows how long or if it will actually happen) is that all IDC designators will eventually merge into one as with technology continuing to advance the designators are getting closer and closer to each other, I was told the first step was to change the designators all to the 18XX numbers.

They have already started with some cross pollination of billets within 18XX. They are also now ranked against each other on FITREPs.

If you compare IDC to the URL, it is not a hard skill set to pick up, so in theory an Intel O should be able to go lead a EW division on the ship, a Cyber/IP guy should to able to run a GEOINT team at a COCOM, etc.

navy2014

SWO options is a very small community. VERY SMALL. The IDC (INTEL/IW/IP) is the same board - if they select you, they will put you in the community they think you are the best fit for. I doubt someone will be selected for more than one. SWO, again, the PM is pro-X'ing all those who do not have it listed number 1.

And the ONLY cases I have had experience of getting an offer from a community that you did not apply to have been decisions made by Admirals -- One interviewed for Cyberwarfare with the Admiral and was offered an IW slot, the other interviewed for NUPOC and the Admiral said no, but how about IW.

SWO Options picked up a small handful last time and I am pretty sure the majority were from NRD Fleet.

Do you think it would be accurate to say that if my options are Intel and SWO, and I have any intention of going to OCS anytime "soon," that I'd better put 1. SWO 2. Intel? My thought is that if intel hiring is already done for a really long time, I would want to try to go SWO. Or is hiring really far out for both, and thus I wouldn't lose much time by waiting to be considered for intel first (with a slimmer chance of selection, I'm assuming) before putting in with SWO #1?

azguy

None
Random question - I see you have a JD, why do you want to join the Navy as a SWO or Intel Officer? I have a buddy that's getting out to go to law school...ironic.

Edited to add, yes, I would recommend getting a SWO spot if you can. You can always lat transfer if you do well on your ship.

navy2014

I always knew that I wouldn't find a legal career rewarding, but I didn't know what else to do after college. A military career wasn't an option for me until later, and ever since I first considered it, I've known that it was what I wanted to do.

Your buddy and I are on the same page--both following our intuition about what will make us happy / satisfied / fulfilled, even if it leads us into a field that isn't exactly easy to get into right now.

exNavyOffRec

They have already started with some cross pollination of billets within 18XX. They are also now ranked against each other on FITREPs.

If you compare IDC to the URL, it is not a hard skill set to pick up, so in theory an Intel O should be able to go lead a EW division on the ship, a Cyber/IP guy should to able to run a GEOINT team at a COCOM, etc.

Good info.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you think it would be accurate to say that if my options are Intel and SWO, and I have any intention of going to OCS anytime "soon," that I'd better put 1. SWO 2. Intel? My thought is that if intel hiring is already done for a really long time, I would want to try to go SWO. Or is hiring really far out for both, and thus I wouldn't lose much time by waiting to be considered for intel first (with a slimmer chance of selection, I'm assuming) before putting in with SWO #1?
Here is my take, for what it's worth. You haven't mentioned aviation here or in your Profile, nor taken the ASTB, so I assume you are either not interested, or PDQ for aviation?:confused:

Your GPAs & OAR are well above average for Intel or SWO. Unfortunately, both are tight on slots lately, with Intel nearly impossible for a non-prior w/ no Intel experience. In your situation if really stoked to serve as a Naval Officer, I would request 1-SWO, 2-Intel, 3-???. If you fill the rest of your package with 4-5 good LORs, leadership/ work experience/ volunteerism/ other significant experiences and/or achievements... aside from aviation, your best shot is SWO!;)

I have no other comment on your "chances", except to say that if it were me, I'd be ALL OVER SNA/SNFO... oh wait, I already did that - I'm biased! lol:eek:

Oh BTW, If I was a SWO CO, I would be tickled all to hell to have a JO DivO/or LegalO with a JD. That will never hurt you... whatever community you end up in!:D

Good luck.:)
BzB

navy2014

Busy,

I actually did take the ASTB. I just don't have my scores from the other sections yet. I also didn't study for them, so I might need to retake if it didn't go well. I am physically able to be a pilot. I am considering it heavily but it's a big change... haven't discussed it with family yet. I'm sure they'll think it's too dangerous, or whatever.

Thanks though.

exNavyOffRec

Busy,

I actually did take the ASTB. I just don't have my scores from the other sections yet. I also didn't study for them, so I might need to retake if it didn't go well. I am physically able to be a pilot. I am considering it heavily but it's a big change... haven't discussed it with family yet. I'm sure they'll think it's too dangerous, or whatever.

Thanks though.

when do you hit 27? I realized with your college (BA and JD) you might be close to the "commissioned by" age for aviation.