• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello all. Considering pursuing DC for Intel.

Currently 28, DoD civilian employee in a non-intel field.

MA in International Affairs with a 3.5 GPA.

Was selected to a government fellowship program for graduate degree graduates with approximately an 8% selection rate.

LORs would be from current and retired O5s/O6s.

Would be interested in hearing some feedback on my chances, or other fields that may be an option. I haven't been able to find much about HR or FAO if those are still options for DC. Also, I have seen conflicting info on when MEPS falls and when you must pass PRT.

Are you applying for active or reserve Intel?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Sorry I didn't specify, mainly because I didn't know AD was an option. But Reserve. Most likely the 2019 board, as I heard 2018 is in January.

Having no Intel work experience is going to hurt you, bad. In addition, you're in a very competitive market in VA and it's going to be a very uphill battle getting favorable remarks from the Region OIC and panel/interviews. Lastly, they're preferring more STEM majors to none, having a masters will help a bit but not against those who have MS-related degrees.

I would highly consider active duty Intel over reserve due to your lack of work experience.

GAU

Interesting, so it seems they're more looking for technical analysis.

Do you have any insight on Reserve direct commission for HR? This may better match my work experience, but I haven't been able to find much info.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Interesting, so it seems they're more looking for technical analysis.

Do you have any insight on Reserve direct commission for HR? This may better match my work experience, but I haven't been able to find much info.

Don't bother applying unless you have a PHR (or related HR cert) and an HR-related masters degree.

Don't bother applying unless you have a PHR (or related HR cert) and an HR-related masters degree.

Hi,

I am looking at contingency plans if I am not selected in July for Supply. Is an MBA considered HR-related? I intend to get started on PHR certification but don't want to waste the time and money if my degree isn't what they generally look for.

Thanks!

exNavyOffRec

Hi,

I am looking at contingency plans if I am not selected in July for Supply. Is an MBA considered HR-related? I intend to get started on PHR certification but don't want to waste the time and money if my degree isn't what they generally look for.

Thanks!

Well, to give you an idea I am in HR and looking at the profiles of the people I know in HR only a few have an MBA and that was generally obtained before they went into HR, but they do have at least their PHR/SPHR.

However the key question is are you working in the HR field now? That is a requirement to take the PHR, and if you are not working in an HR field then you wouldn't have the experience to apply for HR DCO.

Well, to give you an idea I am in HR and looking at the profiles of the people I know in HR only a few have an MBA and that was generally obtained before they went into HR, but they do have at least their PHR/SPHR.

However the key question is are you working in the HR field now? That is a requirement to take the PHR, and if you are not working in an HR field then you wouldn't have the experience to apply for HR DCO.

Thanks for your reply. I'm a director and manage a department with roughly 250 employees and lead the recruiting/hiring/staffing/workforce management. I also manage the employee training program. So I am not in the HR department but have a leadership role in the HR functions of a large department. I read the authorization and it seems like its looking for the skills, not the title, but I'm not sure if that's the real world interpretation.

Thanks

FormerRecruitingGuru

Thanks for your reply. I'm a director and manage a department with roughly 250 employees and lead the recruiting/hiring/staffing/workforce management. I also manage the employee training program. So I am not in the HR department but have a leadership role in the HR functions of a large department. I read the authorization and it seems like its looking for the skills, not the title, but I'm not sure if that's the real world interpretation.

Thanks

HR DCO took five last year and all five had a PHR and masters degree. HR- related does include an MBA.

scipio12345

Hello i just wanted to have you guys game my chances to be selected on the next swo board. my undergrad gpa was 3.4 my grad gpa was 3.6(undergrad history grad school international relations and security studies) my oar was 48 i am 28 in great shape. what are my chances?

TommyBahama

Hi guys, first post, I thought I'd throw up my background to see what people may think about my chances. I haven't taken the OAR yet but am currently studying my butt off to get a 60 or higher.

School: The University of St Andrews (Scotland, one of the top 3 UK Schools)
Degree: Single Honors History (focus on Middle East and East Asia, one of the best schools for my degree)
GPA: Equivalent to a 3.2
Work Experience: Research Analyst Intern for a major Defense Consulting firm in Los Angeles, Intern for a Defense-Community relations group in San Diego.
LOR: Former Rear Admiral, Former Head of the FBI Office in San Diego, High Ranking Executive at State Department
Extra-curriculars: Managed and directed a start-up charity at university while managing a team of 20 people to deal with a plethora of tasks, 4 years as a student radio host, 4 years as secretary for a charity adventure group.

I've been building towards an Intelligence career since age 13 and thus would put Intel/SWO as my two main choices, though equally favored as of now as in truth I'd love to be an officer in the navy however I can.

Thanks for the help, I realized this thread can get swarmed a lot but I appreciate your advice.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Hi guys, first post, I thought I'd throw up my background to see what people may think about my chances. I haven't taken the OAR yet but am currently studying my butt off to get a 60 or higher.

School: The University of St Andrews (Scotland, one of the top 3 UK Schools)
Degree: Single Honors History (focus on Middle East and East Asia, one of the best schools for my degree)
GPA: Equivalent to a 3.2
Work Experience: Research Analyst Intern for a major Defense Consulting firm in Los Angeles, Intern for a Defense-Community relations group in San Diego.
LOR: Former Rear Admiral, Former Head of the FBI Office in San Diego, High Ranking Executive at State Department
Extra-curriculars: Managed and directed a start-up charity at university while managing a team of 20 people to deal with a plethora of tasks, 4 years as a student radio host, 4 years as secretary for a charity adventure group.

I've been building towards an Intelligence career since age 13 and thus would put Intel/SWO as my two main choices, though equally favored as of now as in truth I'd love to be an officer in the navy however I can.

Thanks for the help, I realized this thread can get swarmed a lot but I appreciate your advice.

You will need to get a high OAR score to have a shot at Intel. As mentioned before, the community prefers STEM over non-STEM majors.