• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

I was hoping to get some feedback on my qualifications as everyone else on here wants.

BS Aerospace Engineering from UMD, 2.96 GPA (low I know, but can't change it now)
ASTB: 69, 8/7/9 (taken once)
LORs: former boss, current boss, O-3, O-8
No drug use, no criminal record
Leadership experience (exec board position/appointed positions) and other extra curricular activities in college

Applying for SNA, NFO and hoping to make the next board.
Anything I should work on/change? Another position I should apply for? Thoughts on my chances? Thanks everyone.

Stick with SNA and SNFO. Other communities are even more strict about degree requirements and SWO will cut you if it's your third choice. GPA is low, so that may hurt you, but your ASTB is a plus. Put in your application and hurry up and wait. Just a warning, no one here on AW can guarantee you a slot; only waiting for the board can do that. Keep in contact with your recruiter and best of luck.

Tjd448

Stick with SNA and SNFO. Other communities are even more strict about degree requirements and SWO will cut you if it's your third choice. GPA is low, so that may hurt you, but your ASTB is a plus. Put in your application and hurry up and wait. Just a warning, no one here on AW can guarantee you a slot; only waiting for the board can do that. Keep in contact with your recruiter and best of luck.
I kinda figured that's about all I can do at this point, but just wanted a second opinion. And I understand there's no guarantee from an online forum lol. Thanks again.

ajdajd

All,

I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I figured I'd ask here. I am toeing the age limit line and want to know if that will affect my chances. My recruiter feels I have a competitive application but is unsure about how they take age into consideration. I am NOT prior service so I must commission by the age limit. If I am selected at the upcoming board, I'd have to go to OCS within a month to get through in time. Any insight on this?

Also, what happens if someone rolls in OCS and they turn their program's age limit (27/29/35/etc...) before commissioning? Not that I plan on rolling if I get in, just curious about the situation.

I appreciate any tips this wonderful community can give. You lot have provided solid information that helped me through my application process.

All,

I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I figured I'd ask here. I am toeing the age limit line and want to know if that will affect my chances. My recruiter feels I have a competitive application but is unsure about how they take age into consideration. I am NOT prior service so I must commission by the age limit. If I am selected at the upcoming board, I'd have to go to OCS within a month to get through in time. Any insight on this?

Also, what happens if someone rolls in OCS and they turn their program's age limit (27/29/35/etc...) before commissioning? Not that I plan on rolling if I get in, just curious about the situation.

I appreciate any tips this wonderful community can give. You lot have provided solid information that helped me through my application process.
If your kit is not already in and in front of a board that is coming up immediately, you are out of luck. MEPS usually takes a couple weeks, submitting kits takes a while, kits have to be in ahead of the board, then you have to wait for a board. Similarly, many programs just held boards. The only exception I can think of is SWO.

Even then, it would be a tall order to get picked up, get final select, and shop within a month of today. Pretty sure you have to be commissioned before you age out. Maybe you can pick up a waver? Hopefully someone else can help more.

Good luck man.

ajdajd

If your kit is not already in and in front of a board that is coming up immediately, you are out of luck. MEPS usually takes a couple weeks, submitting kits takes a while, kits have to be in ahead of the board, then you have to wait for a board. Similarly, many programs just held boards. The only exception I can think of is SWO.

Even then, it would be a tall order to get picked up, get final select, and shop within a month of today. Pretty sure you have to be commissioned before you age out. Maybe you can pick up a waver? Hopefully someone else can help more.

Good luck man.
Thanks for your reply. I should have included more info. My kit is completely together and submitted, just waiting for the boards to convene. If I get selected by an early 2016 board I'd have about a month after selection to begin OCS in time to commission before my birthday. I started working with my recruiter right before the due date for the last round of boards that just met. I could have thrown an application together but unfortunately I hadn't yet done my research regarding the age/application process length factor so I didn't rush and get one in.

Questions for anyone - Even if a board likes my application, would they turn me down simply because they know that the turn around time between selection and starting OCS is typically lengthy? Have they ever been known to rush someone in to beat the cutoff? Has anyone experience a non-prior getting an age waiver? I know anything offered is anecdotal but it is still good to hear other people's stories.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for your reply. I should have included more info. My kit is completely together and submitted, just waiting for the boards to convene. If I get selected by an early 2016 board I'd have about a month after selection to begin OCS in time to commission before my birthday. I started working with my recruiter right before the due date for the last round of boards that just met. I could have thrown an application together but unfortunately I hadn't yet done my research regarding the age/application process length factor so I didn't rush and get one in.

Questions for anyone - Even if a board likes my application, would they turn me down simply because they know that the turn around time between selection and starting OCS is typically lengthy? Have they ever been known to rush someone in to beat the cutoff? Has anyone experience a non-prior getting an age waiver? I know anything offered is anecdotal but it is still good to hear other people's stories.

What are you going for? There may not even be a board in time for you to get looked at.

SWOMan

Considering changing order of my application to SNA, SWO, NFO. Would like to know how competitive my stats are for pilot right now, as well as what chances are of being picked up as a SWO if it is put second? GPA 3.18 accounting and finance. ASTB- 58 6/6/6 Letters of rec from all previous employers, an ex pilot/ battalion commander, as well as a professor that was an officer in the airforce. Should I stay the path of SWO SNA NFO, or is it worth making the change? My OAR is strong, but I fear my 6/6/6 leaves me lacking

jugg34naut

pilot
Considering changing order of my application to SNA, SWO, NFO. Would like to know how competitive my stats are for pilot right now, as well as what chances are of being picked up as a SWO if it is put second? GPA 3.18 accounting and finance. ASTB- 58 6/6/6 Letters of rec from all previous employers, an ex pilot/ battalion commander, as well as a professor that was an officer in the airforce. Should I stay the path of SWO SNA NFO, or is it worth making the change? My OAR is strong, but I fear my 6/6/6 leaves me lacking

Your stats look pretty similar to what mine where, 3.5 gpa, 58 6/5/6 or so. I made it just fine, in fact I excelled in areas where my 9/9/9 brothers and sisters didn't. Everybody has a different aptitude and mine wasn't standard tests. You'll find that in your application, as well as everywhere else in the Navy, it depends on timing. I know it sounds blunt but if the Navy needs a pilot (and they always seem to lately) they'll dig deeper into the barrel. If not then not. I was lucky. I walked into the officer recruiter's office with mediocre scores and NAMI qualified, handed him my packet and he almost wanted to kiss me. He told me that he had no idea where he was going to get his quota for his region. 2 months later I found myself in the sand at OCS.

As far as keeping SWO at the top I can't say. I can say that my SWO buddies don't have much of a life outside of the Navy. Being a pilot is the coolest job in the Navy. If it matters I had SNA, SNFO, and SWO. Pro rec yes SNA and SNFO, thumbs down SWO.

C_CN

Considering everyone else has been asking for feedback on their qualifications, I think I'll do the same. I took the OAR yesterday, but haven't heard back from my recruiter (though, she wasn't there when I took it).

I scored a 48, was hoping I'd score higher, but didn't realize how badly I'd do with the time restraints.
I have a Bachelor's in International Relations (concentration Russia and Central Asia), and my GPA was 3.48

Intelligence was obviously my first choice, but after reading through this entire thread, it'll be very competitive. (and I know my scores won't be as competitive). so I was thinking maybe SWO? my friend who's going into the Marines, said to do the job I want, as idealistic as that is, I want a job that will be more realistic for me to obtain.

Should I retake the OAR? or is there something that might be more accessible for me with the scores I have?

Thanks!

SWOMan

The example I gave was not meant to give the impression that a high OAR would offset a non tech degree, it was meant to show that they care more about degree and GPA are what counts, if you are really concerned put SNA/SWO/NFO
How much do you think it handicaps you putting NFO at number 3? I know swo won't look at you. Is NFO a bit more lenient because they go in at the same time as SNA packets?

koliver

Hey guys I posted this on the ASTB thread too, but just want to get as much advice as possible. I took the ASTB yesterday and got a 56 6/5/5. I have a 2.8 GPA double majoring in criminal justice and political science. I also did two years in NROTC but was not selected for a scholarship so I had to be dropped. I have letters of rec from my former NROTC XO and CO, the deputy commander for future operations of the Pacific Fleet (Aviator/ 05), a port commissioner/boss (retired Naval Aviator), and my boss at my college job. I haven't talked to my recruiter yet, but the officer who proctored my test is the aviation officer for my former NROTC unit and he said that they are passing scores and didn't think I needed to retest. What are any of your thoughts? Is there anything else I could do or add to my application packet?

exNavyOffRec

Hey guys I posted this on the ASTB thread too, but just want to get as much advice as possible. I took the ASTB yesterday and got a 56 6/5/5. I have a 2.8 GPA double majoring in criminal justice and political science. I also did two years in NROTC but was not selected for a scholarship so I had to be dropped. I have letters of rec from my former NROTC XO and CO, the deputy commander for future operations of the Pacific Fleet (Aviator/ 05), a port commissioner/boss (retired Naval Aviator), and my boss at my college job. I haven't talked to my recruiter yet, but the officer who proctored my test is the aviation officer for my former NROTC unit and he said that they are passing scores and didn't think I needed to retest. What are any of your thoughts? Is there anything else I could do or add to my application packet?

Given the 90 day wait you will have an opportunity to be seen by a board before you retest, but I would keep studying, 5's is the minimum passing score and your GPA doesn't help.