• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

exNavyOffRec

I've been reading up on Intel stuff the past few days, as I'm considering backups to SNA/SNFO should something pop up at MEPS. Right now I'm looking at SWO and Intel. I know I'm competitive for SWO but the question I have is could my OAR score of 70 offset my non-technical major at a difficult university, if I graduate with a 3.5? I know you gave the example of a 45 OAR being more desired than a 60 because of the technical major, but is there a certain point were a high enough OAR score / harder university can offset that?

The example I gave was not meant to give the impression that a high OAR would offset a non tech degree, it was meant to show that they care more about degree and GPA are what counts, if you are really concerned put SNA/SWO/NFO

exNavyOffRec

The whole person concept is part of the equation.

a small part, and only in a few designators, in reality it is all about degree and GPA, and PFAR/FOFAR for aviation.

I lost track of how many well rounded individuals I saw get pro N over guys who just went to college and had a tech degree with a high GPA.

Sal189379

@NavyOffRec No doubt. In your experience, tech degree and GPA remain king. But I am sure they were interviewed as well? Did mediocre appraisals or LORs accompany any of the folks with tech degrees and high gpa? The reason I ask, is because if a tech degree and high GPA are key to selection; it would be plausible the board may overlook appraisals with less than 10s, and less than stellar writeups?

exNavyOffRec

@NavyOffRec No doubt. In your experience, tech degree and GPA remain king. But I am sure they were interviewed as well? Did mediocre appraisals or LORs accompany any of the folks with tech degrees and high gpa? The reason I ask, is because if a tech degree and high GPA are key to selection; it would be plausible the board may overlook appraisals with less than 10s, and less than stellar writeups?

non AD don't need interviews.

This is how AD can really get screwed, if they have everything perfect but not good interviews you are probably done, or if you have poor GPA those great writeups and 10's won't really help so screwed again.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
The example I gave was not meant to give the impression that a high OAR would offset a non tech degree, it was meant to show that they care more about degree and GPA are what counts, if you are really concerned put SNA/SWO/NFO

I'm not super concerned at this point, just trying to plan for any contingencies. So I guess the gist of this is with a 3.5 and a non-tech major I am not competitive for Intel/IW, correct?

exNavyOffRec

I'm not super concerned at this point, just trying to plan for any contingencies. So I guess the gist of this is with a 3.5 and a non-tech major I am not competitive for Intel/IW, correct?

Since anything IDC is so competitive I would probably say odds are they are people that may be more competitive. If you want to be an officer then go for aviation and SWO

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Since anything IDC is so competitive I would probably say odds are they are people that may be more competitive. If you want to be an officer then go for aviation and SWO

Ok yeah those are what I figured would be my best bets. Thank you for the advice sir.

Eagle16

Hey guys, I am new to AirWarriors and was hoping to get some feedback as I shoot for my goal of acceptance to OCS.

I am a senior English major at Boston College with a 3.25 GPA. I play for the club baseball team and am the Vice President of another club on campus. I just took the ASTB today (1st time) and got a 52 OAR and 6/6/7 for my other scores. My other activities include volunteering with and mentoring children with autism for the last 11 years, coaching youth baseball on the AAU and PONY level, and playing music at a local children's hospital with another campus group.

I just had PRK in August so I won't be able to submit until mid-February (assuming everything clears). I am applying for SNA, Intel, and NFO. No drug use, 1 speeding ticket (civil violation; paid off with no court), strong personal statement and letters of recommendation.

Sorry for such a long post. I really appreciate any feedback you may have for me. Good luck to everyone in their own pursuits!

exNavyOffRec

Hey guys, I am new to AirWarriors and was hoping to get some feedback as I shoot for my goal of acceptance to OCS.

I am a senior English major at Boston College with a 3.25 GPA. I play for the club baseball team and am the Vice President of another club on campus. I just took the ASTB today (1st time) and got a 52 OAR and 6/6/7 for my other scores. My other activities include volunteering with and mentoring children with autism for the last 11 years, coaching youth baseball on the AAU and PONY level, and playing music at a local children's hospital with another campus group.

I just had PRK in August so I won't be able to submit until mid-February (assuming everything clears). I am applying for SNA, Intel, and NFO. No drug use, 1 speeding ticket (civil violation; paid off with no court), strong personal statement and letters of recommendation.

Sorry for such a long post. I really appreciate any feedback you may have for me. Good luck to everyone in their own pursuits!

your best bet would be SNA/NFO/SWO your degree and GPA don't really fit the profile for IDC

Tjd448

I was hoping to get some feedback on my qualifications as everyone else on here wants.

BS Aerospace Engineering from UMD, 2.96 GPA (low I know, but can't change it now)
ASTB: 69, 8/7/9 (taken once)
LORs: former boss, current boss, O-3, O-8
No drug use, no criminal record
Leadership experience (exec board position/appointed positions) and other extra curricular activities in college

Applying for SNA, NFO and hoping to make the next board.
Anything I should work on/change? Another position I should apply for? Thoughts on my chances? Thanks everyone.

flynavy830

I was hoping to get some feedback on my qualifications as everyone else on here wants.

BS Aerospace Engineering from UMD, 2.96 GPA (low I know, but can't change it now)
ASTB: 69, 8/7/9 (taken once)
LORs: former boss, current boss, O-3, O-8
No drug use, no criminal record
Leadership experience (exec board position/appointed positions) and other extra curricular activities in college

Applying for SNA, NFO and hoping to make the next board.
Anything I should work on/change? Another position I should apply for? Thoughts on my chances? Thanks everyone.

Have you been reading through any current threads? Have you seen any of the applicants for the last few pilot boards, and how they compare to you?

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
I've been reading up on Intel stuff the past few days, as I'm considering backups to SNA/SNFO should something pop up at MEPS. Right now I'm looking at SWO and Intel. I know I'm competitive for SWO but the question I have is could my OAR score of 70 offset my non-technical major at a difficult university, if I graduate with a 3.5? I know you gave the example of a 45 OAR being more desired than a 60 because of the technical major, but is there a certain point were a high enough OAR score / harder university can offset that?
Explain what a difficult university is...tbh a Bach degree from any accrediated university is pretty much the same.