• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What not to do when you drive off base in uniform.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
What is the basis of your final statement? Does anyone here have actual personal experience with teachers projecting a personal bias? My kids are still younger so we haven't got too far in to complex ideallogic discussions from school but, in general, my kids seem to be getting a fine education that covers the basics. Sure, the topics are covered slightly differently than they were 30yrs ago but none of it would appear to be "brainwashing." Unless we consider the acknowledgement of cultures other than ours and experiences of non-white Americans as brainwashing...

So a little dated (Bush reelection against Kerry) but...

My daughter was in middle school in the San Diego area and was supposed to be having a government class. The syllabus was how government works. House, Senate, Courts, roles and responsibilities, electoral college, etc. From the first day of school until the end of October when I went to the school board, all she got was Bush bad / Kerry good, Bush evil / Kerry pure, GOP evil / Dems awesome, etc.

I went to the teacher first and told him he was supposed to be teaching the roles, responsibilities and process not political opinion. He responded by lecturing me about the evils of my GOP membership, liking Bush, and being conservative because it meant that I was a Nazi devil who should have my daughter taken away by child services for mental abuse. The principal shrugged her shoulders, said she didn't disagree with the teacher, and that he had the leeway to teach what he felt was important. The school board at first blew me off saying it's a school prerogative until I sent them a certified letter from my local San Diego area attorney friend pointing out the state laws and school district regulations requiring teachers to teach according to the approved syllabus using approved materials. He threatened a lawsuit that he would publicize widely to local, state and national news outlets. I got a call almost immediately saying the Superintendent would like to meet with us to discuss the issue. The teacher was fired, the principal disciplined and the syllabus taught.

The next year when the new choir teacher would only use evangelical Christian hymns (I went to her fall concert where it was 2 hours of religious hymns with the teacher giving sermons between songs - my daughter was not happy but wanted to be in choir), spent half the period preaching and required religious analysis of modern songs (especially rap) to discuss why they were devil music; it took just a passing mention to the principal that I was going to email the Superintendent for the nonsense to stop.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So a little dated (Bush reelection against Kerry) but...

My daughter was in middle school in the San Diego area and was supposed to be having a government class. The syllabus was how government works. House, Senate, Courts, roles and responsibilities, electoral college, etc. From the first day of school until the end of October when I went to the school board, all she got was Bush bad / Kerry good, Bush evil / Kerry pure, GOP evil / Dems awesome, etc.

I went to the teacher first and told him he was supposed to be teaching the roles, responsibilities and process not political opinion. He responded by lecturing me about the evils of my GOP membership, liking Bush, and being conservative because it meant that I was a Nazi devil who should have my daughter taken away by child services for mental abuse. The principal shrugged her shoulders, said she didn't disagree with the teacher, and that he had the leeway to teach what he felt was important. The school board at first blew me off saying it's a school prerogative until I sent them a certified letter from my local San Diego area attorney friend pointing out the state laws and school district regulations requiring teachers to teach according to the approved syllabus using approved materials. He threatened a lawsuit that he would publicize widely to local, state and national news outlets. I got a call almost immediately saying the Superintendent would like to meet with us to discuss the issue. The teacher was fired, the principal disciplined and the syllabus taught.

The next year when the new choir teacher would only use evangelical Christian hymns (I went to her fall concert where it was 2 hours of religious hymns with the teacher giving sermons between songs - my daughter was not happy but wanted to be in choir), spent half the period preaching and required religious analysis of modern songs (especially rap) to discuss why they were devil music; it took just a passing mention to the principal that I was going to email the Superintendent for the nonsense to stop.

I think we all agree that politics and religion don't belong in the day to day curriculum in public schools. I fully support the scholastic club system, and that is where a student can meet and identify with other students who share ideologies, and where they can apply those ideologies to what they learn in school under the guidance of a faculty member who keeps tabs on things and ensures that they fulfill their requirements.

Last edited:

Birdbrain

pilot
It's interesting to draw the analog to flight training. Airwork, headwork, and procedures. Standardized tests are for airwork and procedures. How do we teach kids good headwork?
I'm not much of a headwork pro myself (yet), but headwork skills seem to react like muscles. They require stress (incoming information) followed by destress (reflection) to grow, with a helping of brief/debrief (conversation) to get other viewpoints.

I'm not sure about other people, but I've always found that having an intelligent discussion about a topic helps to clear muddy waters and create better informed opinions - technique only.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I'm not sure about other people, but I've always found that having an intelligent discussion about a topic helps to clear muddy waters and create better informed opinions - technique only.
Do you realize where you are? Are aware of who you are communicating with? ?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
If we're getting upset about a bunch of hippies at a hippy school doing hippy shit that sounds like yelling into the wind. I think certain classes/majors at a #1 also have a higher liberal factor. If you take a "woman's study" or "Marxism" course don't be surprised at a certain amount of very liberal thought.
Youz gotta read dis!”

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I just heard on the radio that 13 of 20 ANTIFA rioters arrested in Portland are teachers.
I think that news is artificial. Someone created a meme out of an old mug shot chart. But, who even knows what is real now?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Youz gotta read dis!”

If this means that word will stop yelling at me about passive voice then I'm onboard!

Grammar has always been an artificial construct. Every field has their preferred way to write and a lot of those don't jive with "good grammar."

And don't get me started about the tyranny that Webster exerted upon the world with his notion of "correct spelling."

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
If this means that word will stop yelling at me about passive voice then I'm onboard!

Grammar has always been an artificial construct. Every field has their preferred way to write and a lot of those don't jive with "good grammar."

And don't get me started about the tyranny that Webster exerted upon the world with his notion of "correct spelling."
You just need to read a NAVADMIN Messge to get that.

taxi1

pilot
Grammar has always been an artificial construct.
Big thread drift...studies show that when you get a huge mix of cultures and languages, folks will create some sort of simplistic pidgin language with simple noun-verb pairs so they can get stuff done. Then the next generation of kids comes along and imposes a full-on grammar that is equivalent in complexity to any other, making a creole language.

I’ve always found that fascinating.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Big thread drift...studies show that when you get a huge mix of cultures and languages, folks will create some sort of simplistic pidgin language with simple noun-verb pairs so they can get stuff done. Then the next generation of kids comes along and imposes a full-on grammar that is equivalent in complexity to any other, making a creole language.

Me likey.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

cavemen.png