• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What not to do when you drive off base in uniform.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Big thread drift...studies show that when you get a huge mix of cultures and languages, folks will create some sort of simplistic pidgin language with simple noun-verb pairs so they can get stuff done. Then the next generation of kids comes along and imposes a full-on grammar that is equivalent in complexity to any other, making a creole language.

I’ve always found that fascinating.
Teenagers:

??

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grammar has always been an artificial construct. Every field has their preferred way to write and a lot of those don't jive with "good grammar."
In in the field of general communication of the masses, "good grammar" is required for understanding the message. Good grammar should be taught. There is enough miscommunication and division in this world. Can we at least standardize on grammar. That other fields have some minor variations in grammar isn't for any other reason than to communicate better within a field of like educated and trained individuals. That is not so in society in general. It is just to excuse people who won't learn proper grammar.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
In in the field of general communication of the masses, "good grammar" is required for understanding the message. Good grammar should be taught. There is enough miscommunication and division in this world. Can we at least standardize on grammar. That other fields have some minor variations in grammar isn't for any other reason than to communicate better within a field of like educated and trained individuals. That is not so in society in general. It is just to excuse people who won't learn proper grammar.
Standardized comms and comm brevity. Words have meaning.

In my civilian job I constantly have to coral engineers and operations types to use the proper language, because "I assumed he knew was I was talking about" is how we get some really shitty products to the fleet.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The window for editing will soon close and the spelling mistake will be forever corralled in the unedited post.

:D

As to the subtopic at hand, and aside from the occasional forum foible, sloppy spelling and grammar drives me nuts too. It's worse in formal communication but on social media it seems that half the people out there have the writing ability of a twelve year old...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Standardized comms and comm brevity. Words have meaning.

In my civilian job I constantly have to coral engineers and operations types to use the proper language, because "I assumed he knew was I was talking about" is how we get some really shitty products to the fleet.
And process. There’s far too many civilians who freak at the idea of imposing just enough order onto the chaos. Yes, other people need to understand what’s going on and no, Agile software development doesn’t mean “no documentation and no process.” If the process is messed up, change it, but don’t just not have one. The whole mentality behind NATOPS is a foreign concept.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I ain't two worried. I'm a guy who never took an English class past high school. Irregardless of that, I can still string a sentence together gooder than most others out their. I just don't sea where your concern is at.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You should always use the Oxford comma. Tell me why I'm wrong.
There are two kinds of people. Those who use the Oxford comma, and those who butcher the English language.

646199635c22ab158d97d34b0ff39b35.png