• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NFOs do..

taproot2779

I'm wondering what NFOs do in each aircraft (play with guns, hunt subs etc.)?

I looked around the NFO threads and couldn't really find anything that specifically answered my question.

Gracias

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm wondering what NFOs do in each aircraft (play with guns, hunt subs etc.)?

I looked around the NFO threads and couldn't really find anything that specifically answered my question.

Gracias

There is a ton of info posted on this subject. I urge you to check that out, then post any specific questions here.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
'Scuse me ma'am. Yes, can I get a small popcorn with butter? Yes, a small soda would be nice too. Thank you.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Also try google search. There's lots of info about NFOs and their jobs specific to their platform.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
In the T-6, we just tell the pilot what we think is the right thing to do, then hope and pray that it is... Well, at least thats what I do in the T-6.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
6 simple words can define your life as a FO

"Have more SA than the pilot"

Beyond that, yes, specifics questions would help :)

taproot2779

ok, I did some poking around and came up with something a little more slimmed down.

What do P-3 NFOs do? The first thing that comes to mind is that little guy with headphones from "U-571" listening for subs, except in a big a$$ airplane. But I figure it's more along the lines of navigation, communication etc.

hope this is specific enough, if not...well whatever:icon_tong

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
6 simple words can define your life as a FO

"Have more SA than the pilot"

Beyond that, yes, specifics questions would help :)

Wait... I'm supposed to have MORE SA thanthe pilot? Now I know where I've been going wrong all these weeks... (j/k)

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Hey dude, there's three types of people in the world.. those who can count, and those who can't

Stubby

Ask the Chief
P-3 NFOs

What do P-3 NFOs do? The first thing that comes to mind is that little guy with headphones from "U-571" listening for subs, except in a big a$$ airplane. But I figure it's more along the lines of navigation, communication etc.

I'm not an NFO, but I am a P-3 aircrewman... so here is a little glimpse from my prospective:

once ordered to the P-3 training pipeline, NFO's are initially trained in the position of navigator communicator (NAV/COM). In this position they do pretty much exactly what the name implies. This guy is generally one of the two most junior officers on the crew.

After qualification as NAV/COM, NFOs begin training as tactical coordinations officer (TACCO). Again the name pretty much summarizes the job. The TACCO receives sensor information from the enlisted sensor operators (RADAR, Infra Red, Elecro Optics, SONAR.... these are the guys from "U-571"), and the TACCO steps back to look at the big picture to make tactical decisions as to how to proceed and complete the mission.

This is an extremely oversimplified synopsis, but I know it's a pain to look through 4 years of historical posts to find the answer to a question. If you have any more specific questions regarding P-3 NFOs, feel free to ask. If I can't answer them I'm sure we'll find a P-3 NFO who would be happy to answer them for you.

navy05

Chief,
What's the current state of the P-3 community? I'm in flight school right now and am looking at selecting props as my #1 choice. However, I don't want to do this if I can't make VP a 20 year career. I've heard horror stories about the P-3 community from IPs due to lack of flight hours, horrible promotion opportunities, etc. Are P-3's a bad career choice like a lot of ppl say it is?

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
Chief,
What's the current state of the P-3 community? I'm in flight school right now and am looking at selecting props as my #1 choice. However, I don't want to do this if I can't make VP a 20 year career. I've heard horror stories about the P-3 community from IPs due to lack of flight hours, horrible promotion opportunities, etc. Are P-3's a bad career choice like a lot of ppl say it is?

If you're looking to make 20 years out of it, you'll eventually be in the MMA whenever it comes out. I haven't heard anyone being restricted in their career because of selecting P-3's. Those who don't move up are usually held back for other reasons.