• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What kind of people survive ocs & flight school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
what is the drop out rate for aviation? I'm kinda concerned here... I dont want to make it part way and then get dropped and not have a comission. I was always under the impression that aviation was what they lured officers in with, dropped a bunch and made them do other jobs.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You keep your commission. What I THINK Patmack 18 is referrign to is the old NAVCAD program where enlisted guys came in, went to OCS, went through the program, and then were commissioned upon winging. This program died in the early 90's I think. Now all SNAs/SNFOs are officers upon starting the program. If you drop out, you are still an officer, provided you didn't do something criminal of course. But of course, now if you fail out, you are also out of the Navy. It's not the same as losing your commission.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
phrogdriver said:
...and in half those envelopes was a picture of the bride getting it on with the best man. The other half had pictures of Richard Gere in the ER getting a consult from a small animal vetrinarian.

Now that's funny :D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
You keep your commission. What I THINK Patmack 18 is referrign to is the old NAVCAD program where enlisted guys came in, went to OCS, went through the program, and then were commissioned upon winging. This program died in the early 90's I think. Now all SNAs/SNFOs are officers upon starting the program. If you drop out, you are still an officer, provided you didn't do something criminal of course. But of course, now if you fail out, you are also out of the Navy. It's not the same as losing your commission.

Nope. There are too many JOs. Remember when they cut about 435 JOs several months ago? Aviation took a big hit of that. If you attrite from aviation training, you go home. ROTC, Academy, OCS, it doesn't matter.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Fly Navy said:
Nope. There are too many JOs. Remember when they cut about 435 JOs several months ago? Aviation took a big hit of that. If you attrite from aviation training, you go home. ROTC, Academy, OCS, it doesn't matter.

Man that sucks... I hope I don't attrite!

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
phrogdriver said:
...and in half those envelopes was a picture of the bride getting it on with the best man. The other half had pictures of Richard Gere in the ER getting a consult from a small animal vetrinarian.

All I have to say is W T F .

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:

What I'm saying is, yes, you do go home.

BUT you do not lose your commission. They don't say, "Hm, couldn't hack it eh? Well yer out, and hand over your bars and certificate as well". You are put in an inacitve reserve status. They aren't going to completely lose hold of you after blowing that much $$$ on OCS. Hell, my commitment is up in less than 3 yrs and even after that, if I get out, I can be recalled.

The point is, if this happens to guy, I guess he could put "Inactive Reserve Ensign" (or whatever the term is), on his resume.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ah yes, a classic case of not reading the entire post. My mistake zab.

CLAM97to99

So you could go to the USNA and get your degree for free and just attrite and get a free education? Or is there some sort of payback?

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
ROTC is the same as the Academy. We had a guy get dropped from flight school and now he is back here working at a restaurant. Free education, can't beat that....ummm, unless you want to be a freaking pilot like you should. I wouldn't want to get all hyped up just to get out and ask people if they want lemon in their water.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all full here.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Yeah, I don't think "Flight school attrite" is what the navy meant by Accelerate your life. That's not gonna boost your resume.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In very very very few and rare cases, they let you switch. The issue is, should they even bother? Someone who attrites from one program has shown they can't hack it there, why spend the money on them in another program, when you have a new Ensign who wanted that job as his first choice?

And no, there aren't any communities that are lacking for people now.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
People who attrite for medical reasons are often given another chance. I personally know a couple people that happened too... more to the point, the Navy has been making not-so-subtle encouragements to people with medical issues that if they DOR, they can lat transfer into other areas... go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.