• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What kind of "cross-country" course is the PRT on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Some of the "seasoned" pilots I've talked to said they ran the PRT on a course with 200-300 yards of sand. Other people say the course is wood chips. What gives? I want to know how much time the non-standard surface might add to my run time so I can prepare.

Penguin

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The course itself would change over time. The first time I ran it, it was sand and wood chips. The second time it was sand. When I was leaving P'cola, they were going to move it to the brand new track they built where the course is, but maybe that was just a rumor.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Right now it is wood chips. The sand only comes into play when the woodchips have been cleared because of frequent use. For me, it added about 30 seconds. But it wasn't the sand, it was the hills. It's not a flat track/street, that's what you have to prepare for. If you want to train hardcore. Just run on a beach if you have one. That's what I did and I knocked 2 minutes off of my run time. Good Luck!
--Goplay

zilber

pilot
It was the constant turns and the woodchips that added 30 seconds to my time (or it might have been a placebo effect knowing that they trail would slow me down) :) . Definitely be in shape by the time you get to API.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
its ridiculous that they made us do it on that woodchip trail when a perfectly good track is right next to it.

av8tor

The cross country course being referred to, if it still exists, is nothing to stress over. It was, and maybe still is, situated behind the senior the officer's housing and the indoor swimming pool. If my mind hasn't slipped to much over time it also included a lap around the outside of the parade grounds. Total length was 1.5 miles, done for time. It was somewhat wooded, a little sandy, and a long open stretch, but nothing to worry over.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Thanks for all the replies. Unlike most of our new nuggets, I'm a redesignated LT and I'm creeping up on 28 y/o. I don't want to embarrass myself!

Penguin

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've run the wood chip trail, and it has markers
every now and then, so you know where you're "supposed" to be. Is the PRT still at the end of
the second week?

Cheers -

Rugger

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
Originally posted by deckape2
Pre-PRT is Thursday after you check-in. API PRT is on the first Monday of class.

both have the same standards, correct? 47/58/12:00? or is one the 'real' pft that is scored by navy standards?

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought the minimum was the "good-low" score
for your age group.. Is that your question?

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
If most of you are going straight from OCS to API, don't worry about the requirements too much. The Out-PFA requirements for OCS are way higher than the in-PFA at API. If the requirements at API are good low, then you're all set, because I think the out-PFA requirements at OCS are excellent high.

D

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
I'm curious about what Rugger said also. I saw the 58SU/47PU/12:00 run (good low for 20-24 year old males) in the API guide, and that's what I've been shooting for. On the other hand, I'm 27 (NOT straight from OCS) so will they use my good low requirements instead? The PU/SU is no problem, but I run like a snail. I can do 11:20 on a track, but I'm not sure about this trail business...

Also, do I understand we do a PRT before we start IFS and one when we start API? The student guide isn't clear on this.

Penguin

beau

Man, I just ran it this morning for the first time.......add a good 40 plus seconds to my time. I've never run the PRT over 11:00 (four years of ROTC) and I got a 11:41. I havent been running too much but I run "at least" once a week.....dont know what to think about the course other than it was different than I expected.....it does have some elevation which is not good, but not too bad. But there are alot of turns and it is a soft trail

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
I was there this morning as well. It's a 3-lap course, 4 feet wide or so, open area. the only sand is hard pack for the most part (no deep grainy stuff). it seem that at one time, it was wild grass, and has since worn away with use, not like a serious dirt and rock path like I expected. there was like a wooden post that showed times... 4:00/lap. I think this may be a universal time you must meet or beat. Only speculation for now. it shouldn't affect your run too much. just practice running 1.5 miles on the grass, that should be a good guestimator.

beau, do you drive some sort of blue jeep?

it's much different than I expected too.

Status
Not open for further replies.