• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What kind of careers await NFO's AFTER the Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Pat1USMC said:
If and when I get out, I want to be a firefighter. How's that for a change.
That will be two childhood dreams taken care of with only one more to go - busdriver!

I gotcha man. Volunteer firefighter since I was 16, drove the campus (drunk) bus for a year... now all I need is the "Thrown myself at the ass end of a ship" checked off and I can die a happy man.

kn586

Careers for NFOs after the Navy?

Hi all,

I was hoping to ask what all of you have seen in terms of the kind of careers people get into after leaving the Navy as an NFO.

To give the question some context - I used to work in DC and through work met some former pilots who (mostly helo) who went into various government agencies after their time in the military (dea, fbi, those type things). I never met any NFOs though and I was curious what are some typical careers for them. I'm guessing NFOs wouldn't be recruited by those same agencies under their aviation track (maybe I'm wrong), so are there typical post-military NFO careers, or do they wind up staying in the Navy for a long time because skills don't translate well to civilian sector, or is consulting the big one?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer!

(I have my physical coming up soon at Bethesda and if all goes well with that I hope to be in OCS by June. I used to work as a consultant at an intl. consulting firm right out of college and that SUCKED so I'm looking forward to enjoying life now as a pilot or an NFO, whichever works out. But it'd be nice to know what my life/career decisions mean - if anything - for me 10 years down the road. thanks again.)

NUFO06

None
I guess no one told you. NFO stands for No Future Outside. With the security clearance you get when you become and NFO you can get all kinds of government jobs. I am sure there are more but the only outside flying NFO job that I have come in contact with so far is the Customs P-3s.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
There are at least two NFOs on this site flying as pilots for major airlines. Not the norm but you can get whatever job you want if you have the determination.

This has been discussed in the past many times. Try a search of the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.