• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What kind of careers await NFO's AFTER the Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenmarie

Demons are cute when they sleep!
Contributor
Hi Guys and Gals,

My fiance was supposed to be a SNA, but recently was informed he has a stigmitism that he never knew exsisted. He was told he needed to change designators to NFO. We've never known anything about NFO's because it was set that he was going to be an aviator. He's greatful to still be involved with planes/jets/etc. But, what career options are available when he's done with the Navy? We had always planned on him flying once out of the military. I only got to speak with him for a momment, so I don't know if he has more information, but I for one, am completely clueless. Right now it feels as if our entire world is turned upside down. I, personally could care less what he does in the Navy as long as he is happy with where he ends up. I'm jsut wondering what our future holds!

Thank you so much for your help!

Whalebite

Get a second opinion from a civy dr. Depending on timing and rules, look into PRK laser eye surgery.
Can't answer your question dirrectly though.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
He can still fly (amongst many other things) when he gets out. One thing (I've heard) NFOs do is get their PPL while in Pensacola the first time and just work on getting hours and ratings on their own in their free time throughout the years. I've also heard that if they go back for instructor duty, a few guys will go in together and get a plane and just rack up hours like crazy if they want to fly commercial after the Navy.

That's all second hand info passed down to me from some NFO I was talking to at some squadron last year. I have no idea, to be honest, except that I just redesignated to NFO from SWO and I plan on teaching, opening a motorcycle shop, or just staying retired when I get out.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
incredibly difficult to be a pilot after the navy if you are NFO.. the only plane where NFO's could get "stick-time" i believe is the S-3 viking which is being phased out.

However...

This does not mean there aren't advantages to being an NFO.

1. Flight training is shorter.. get your wings in a year
2. Shore duty isn't limited to flying billets (pilots can have non-flying billets but is often considered a career killer) i.e. ROTC to get your master's degree
3. MUCH easier to get jets
4. Can be the CO of a carrier or squadron just like a pilot.
5. Physical requirements not as stringent.. medical exams not as dreaded
6. In case of P-3's... Mission Commanders are often NFO's

Also, your fiance can always get PRK eye surgery and transfer to pilot if that's what he wants. Often, prior NFO's will ace pilot training and get their first choice.

As for post-navy jobs as an NFO... I'll guess with their security clearance and experience that they are qualified to work for aerospace companies like lockheed or boeing. I'd think their training would make it easier to become an air traffic controller too...

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
JenMarie,
I also wanted to let you know that even if he does end up going NFO (which is great, my DH really enjoyed it!), there is still (at least currently) the opportunity for NFO's to transition to pilots (after getting PRK in their fleet squadron, done by the navy, if they qualify). That's what my husband did. He did really enjoy being an NFO, and was lucky to be an S-3 NFO so he actually did get to fly the plane (as he sat up front as opposed to the back where NFO's sit in most other aircraft). But the opportunity presented itself and he grabbed it. They have recently started pretty much making all NFO to pilot transition guys go helos, but it's still an opportunity to become a pilot if he can have his vision corrected. It's very competetive, but it's an option that's out there right now! And, at least in our squadron, and I imagine in most, NFO's are not looked "down upon". They have a vital job in the aircraft just as the pilots do. Hope it turns out alright!

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
virtu050 said:
1. Flight training is shorter.. get your wings in a year

I started API the first week of October, I had one week between API and primary, 10 days between intermediate and Advanced... yet the winging date we're looking at is April 8th, and that's rather optimistic. Hardly getting your wings in a year, though it sure would be nice ;)

3. MUCH easier to get jets

I don't know what the numbers are for SNAs, but this is largely a misconception based on the fact that ALL Marine NFOs and Air Force Navs at PCola are guaranteed jets from the get-go... unlike on the pilot side, where they compete like everyone else-- so a higher percentage of any given class will head to VT-86. Is it easier? Probably somewhat, given that we see two or maybe three Navy guys get it in each selection but telling someone that NFO is an advantage because of the better odds of getting jets is flat-out bad advice.

As has been discussed before, if you want to make it as a pilot after the Navy as a FO, you pretty much have to compete against everyone else starting from scratch. But, all other things being equal, a guy who's backseat experience in the military is going to have a much bigger advantage over the rest of the crowd and will probably be able to move up faster.

As far as otherwise? Not unlike officers in other areas... regardless of the fact you don't push the stick and throttle, you do have real-world leadership experience, having been a Division Officer and the mission commander of a multimillion dollar aircraft. In terms of decision-making skills alone, your fiance will be so far ahead of the rest of his age group when he gets out, it won't even be funny-- and employers know that.

Hope I could clarify a bit...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is some bum gouge posted above. NFOs in training do not get a pilots liciense. They do get some formal stick time in Primary NFO. Throughout training they will get more informal stick time IF they are up on the required NFO performance. None of that flight time will get you a liciense. Navy career wise there is virtually no difference between pilot and NFO. As to post Navy options, you can do anything but be a professional pilot. Lots of the guys have heard me rant about this before. The thought that you don't have any civilian options just because you are not a pilot is nuts. Just where are all the SWOs, Intel officers and Submariners in the unemployment line? Transition to pilot is very hard to get. NFO wife stated it fairly well, except it just isn't something one should plan on. Maybe some more NFOs have gotten the transition lately but that is because the S-3 went away, and the F-14 isn't being replaced one for one with a two seat plane. That frees up alot of NFOs in just the right year groups (seniority) for a tranistion. I would never, ever, counsel anyone on stying NFO with the hopes of being a pilot later. Now, about the post Navy pilot thing... I am a NFO and a 15 year pilot for a major airline. I was a civ pilot with most ratings before becoming a NFO. I had no plan on becoming a pro pilot. I bought a plane after my first cruise and built some more time for fun. I took orders as a recruiter in my home town where civ flying buddies from college had gotten to the comuter pilot level. When I got to the point I was getting out they simply offered me the job on the strength of their personal knowledge of my flying skill and general Navy experience. That got me the turbine time I needed for the majors. When I interviewed for a major airline I was treated like a military applicant (they had a two track process, civ and mil) but my log book was reviewed as a civilian only guy. It was clear to me in the interview process I got the edge over other civ only guys because of my NFO experience. So, you can go pro pilot as a NFO (I know several others), but I wouldn't count on it. It can be expensive and time consuming. Any other career is open to a NFO. If your fiance is unsure about NFO tell him to sleep on it for a few weeks. It is tough to take a NAMI Whammy and then make a sane decision about your future when you are under the pressure of OCS.

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
I already pm'ed this with Jenmaried, but along the lines of what wink said, the NFO-Pilot transition is very competetive. The past 2 years, 12 guys have gotten it Navy-wide. This past year, they started forcing the guys into specific pipelines as a condition of the transition. Of the July NFO-Pilot selectees (there were 12 of them), 10 were selected for helos, and 2 for fixed wing. I feel like my husband was pretty lucky in that he got to go through primary and selection like everyone else- having all the options for his dream sheet! For more info on the transition program, visit NFO to Pilot program.

Jenmarie

Contributor
I didn't mean he wouldn't have any career options after the navy because he wasn't going to be a pilot anymore. I was just wondering what NFO's generally do after the Navy. I know a lot of pilots continue to fly when done with their service - but I don't know anything about anyone else! I'm brand new to the military in general - so all is foreign to me. I really appreciate all of the input.

Thank you!
Jennifer

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lots of guys go to work in one capacity or another for manufacturers (or competitors) of the equipment they used on active duty. Your security clearance aloan is worth plenty. It, of course depends on the guy's degree as well. A guy could be an engineer, marketing guy, training dude (developing training and instructing), tech rep, etc. Obviously some so fly as flight test engineers for the airframe manufacturers. Then again, you have your college professors, dentists, lawyers, software engineers, pharmacutical sales reps, FBI agents, genetic botanist, (ya, I knew one) and yes pro pilots. I was zeroing in on a job marketing Apache Helicopters overseas when I fell into the airline game. Hope your fiance doesn't make any rash decisions. He still could have a great career ahead of him.

Jenmarie

Contributor
Thanks Wink! I appreciate the info! Everything will be fine, I'm sure of it. And now that I have some idea of what it's all about - I feel a lot better!!

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
If and when I get out, I want to be a firefighter. How's that for a change.
That will be two childhood dreams taken care of with only one more to go - busdriver!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I recently met a retired two star aviator (started in Corsairs!!) who now volunteers to drive a school bus for handicaped kids. Think maybe he had the same childhood dreams as you?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
virtu050 said:
2. Shore duty isn't limited to flying billets (pilots can have non-flying billets but is often considered a career killer) i.e. ROTC to get your master's degree

I know this is in an NFO thread, but just a note, non-flying first shore tour billets for pilots are not really considered career killers. There ARE billets that are considered career enhancing (FRS instructor, NPS for grad degrees), but taking a hard fill desk job won't necessarily end your time in. In a lot of cases it's looked upon favorably, i.e. 'you took a hit for the team, we'll hook you up next tour'. Not always the best thing for a pilot's morale (i'm in month 5 of 6 at a desk, and I'm about to gnaw my khakis off), but often it works out in the end.

(not jumping on your sh!t virtu050, just sayin...)

then again what do I know, I'm going to an operational squadron and it's still being called a shore billet....

Status
Not open for further replies.