• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is the USMC contract you sign before board?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Just a heads up for someone following the discussion. I swore in and signed so many things it would make your head spin. I should have requested an electronic copy of the forms before hand. It was basically the swear in process thay Navy applicants gi through when in DEP after getting pro rec'd. Afterwards the lieutenant said "It's official and shook my hand." I was pretty confused because I'm not accepted to an OCC class yet and I'm not in the reserves or receiving money so I wouldn't say anything is official. Anyway, I don't know what to do if I get into the Navy because I don't know if I can withdraw from the Marine contract. I sound like a baby and I would be honored to be a part of the Marines and go to OCC I'm just really confused about what is "official" and if I'm already obligated to the program or not.
You could try reading the stuff you signed, like a big boy. Also, nobody's feelings are going to get hurt if you back out. You are one of many potential officer candidates. Many will not go to OCS, many will not complete OCS.

Tobe

Very true. I feel bad because the Marines were the first to offer me a shot at this when I didn't think it was possible. They sent me to Pensacola on their dime for the flight phys and the Marine captain set up the astb when I couldn't get a Navy recruiter on the phone for the life of me. The Marines are good people and so damn professional. I have student loans due so I'm just trying hard to go soon.

MatchL

Very true. I feel bad because the Marines were the first to offer me a shot at this when I didn't think it was possible. They sent me to Pensacola on their dime for the flight phys and the Marine captain set up the astb when I couldn't get a Navy recruiter on the phone for the life of me. The Marines are good people and so damn professional. I have student loans due so I'm just trying hard to go soon.

I understand this post is fairly old but since I am in a similar situation as you were, I am seeking advice from whoever can offer. I am currently in the process of applying for SNA for the Navy's board (decemeber 2021) and the Marines board for (OCC 240 in 2022). My ultimate goal is to become a naval aviator regardless of the branch of service. The dilemna I am having is the Marine OSO wants me to contract with them but I cant do so if I decide to apply to the Navy simultaneously. Their reasoning is because I am utilzing their time and resources if I am not fully commited to them. I want to keep my options open and accept a pilot slot from whomever I receive an offer first. My question is, if I decide to contract with the Marines but continue against their requests by applying to the Navy at the same time is that legally allowed ? Is this considered unproffesional or unwise?

From my understanding on previous responses I can still go for both branches even if I decide to contract with the Marines.

exNavyOffRec

I understand this post is fairly old but since I am in a similar situation as you were, I am seeking advice from whoever can offer. I am currently in the process of applying for SNA for the Navy's board (decemeber 2021) and the Marines board for (OCC 240 in 2022). My ultimate goal is to become a naval aviator regardless of the branch of service. The dilemna I am having is the Marine OSO wants me to contract with them but I cant do so if I decide to apply to the Navy simultaneously. Their reasoning is because I am utilzing their time and resources if I am not fully commited to them. I want to keep my options open and accept a pilot slot from whomever I receive an offer first. My question is, if I decide to contract with the Marines but continue against their requests by applying to the Navy at the same time is that legally allowed ? Is this considered unproffesional or unwise?

From my understanding on previous responses I can still go for both branches even if I decide to contract with the Marines.
How can you contract with them unless you are selected by the board? Are they trying to get you to go enlisted and apply for officer at the same time?

MatchL

How can you contract with them unless you are selected by the board? Are they trying to get you to go enlisted and apply for officer at the same time?
Thank you for your response sir. I am applying directly for officer. From my understanding once I complete all the necessary paper work I can “contract” with the marines so I can have my package presented to their review board but, I don’t believe this legally binds me to the Marines until I am selected and decide to attend OCS.

From reading around I understand that I can apply to both branches; I am looking for reassurance or any input on my situation. The term “contracting” throws me off since I associate it with a official commissioning.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for your response sir. I am applying directly for officer. From my understanding once I complete all the necessary paper work I can “contract” with the marines so I can have my package presented to their review board but, I don’t believe this legally binds me to the Marines until I am selected and decide to attend OCS.

From reading around I understand that I can apply to both branches; I am looking for reassurance or any input on my situation. The term “contracting” throws me off since I associate it with a official commissioning.
I have not heard the term contracting unless they are talking about signing paperwork and committing to a service, but even then nothing is binding until you start getting paid.

Think of this as going for a job, you aren't going to just apply to Microsoft if looking for a job, you would apply to anyone that is hiring so you can get a job.

What are your scores?

MatchL

I have not heard the term contracting unless they are talking about signing paperwork and committing to a service, but even then nothing is binding until you start getting paid.

Think of this as going for a job, you aren't going to just apply to Microsoft if looking for a job, you would apply to anyone that is hiring so you can get a job.

What are your scores?

I agree, thanks for the input.

my score for the ASTB is 50 6/7/7.
GPA 2.5 mechanical engineering.
Score not as high as I want but this was my second retake. Hoping my background and experience can compensate for the low GPA.

PMPT

You might not be violating any contractual agreements by playing both hands (and I stress might ... ). but if you accept Navy OCS and intend to go to Navy OCS, be a man or woman and tell your OSO that you are withdrawing. I know it's his or her job to run your paperwork, but you're really just wasting people's time if you're continuing an application when you have orders or are about to receive orders to attend the commissioning source of another service.

good luck and have fun.

MatchL

You might not be violating any contractual agreements by playing both hands (and I stress might ... ). but if you accept Navy OCS and intend to go to Navy OCS, be a man or woman and tell your OSO that you are withdrawing. I know it's his or her job to run your paperwork, but you're really just wasting people's time if you're continuing an application when you have orders or are about to receive orders to attend the commissioning source of another service.

good luck and have fun.

Thank you for the input. If I were selected I would inform the other branch right away to avoid wasting anyone's time. Im just concerned the Marines will send me for my NAMI physical before I receive any results back from the Navy. I dont want to give off the impression that I am using them.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for the input. If I were selected I would inform the other branch right away to avoid wasting anyone's time. Im just concerned the Marines will send me for my NAMI physical before I receive any results back from the Navy. I dont want to give off the impression that I am using them.
They should know that in recruiting candidates going in a different direction is a normal part of the business, whether it is another service or civilian company. You need to do what is best for you and your future and if they don't realize that then take your business elsewhere and I hope those guys don't want to be recruiters in the civilian sector.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor

Dude, don’t get emotional or personal about this. It is a business. You are just a cell on a spreadsheet the Marine Corps is trying to turn green. Same thing for the other services. That doesn’t change before, during, or after OCS. You’re a statistic to the system, and the mammoth ship that is any one of the services will keep on going, with or without you.

Zequa

A Marine Officer Recruiting Station has one goal in mind - making Marine Officers. They will help pave the way and set you up for success in what you want to do within the Marines, but their primary interest is that you really want to become a Marine Officer. It depends on who your OSO is and how good your working relationship with him/her is, but if you show up willing to take what is best for you from any branch, then he/she will likely take you less seriously. This does have some impact on selection criteria because OSO's rate applicants in the pool based on who has shown that they want it the most. I understand where you are coming from wanting to be a SNA, but the factor that has to be worked with is that the Marines really only want you if you really want to be a Marine. This is why they have you contract before actually being selected. They want to see that you are committed to them. The Marines are the smallest branch and have to be more selective with who they work with to preserve their culture and values. The competition is very tough right now, there are a lot of people out there who only want to be Marines, and at that - aviators. The boards are very backlogged due to COVID, both for Marines and the Navy.

kookylukey

For anyone else reading this later, you can apply to both Marines and Navy boards. Marines call it contracting, but all it is is you are just getting the paperwork done before the OCC board. When I went through it my Navy recruiter said I wasn't bound to them at all and when I asked my Marine OSO, he wouldn't give me a straight answer so I assume my Navy OR was correct. I wound up getting rejected by the Marine board and picked up by the Navy board with no complications.

I would say just for everyones sake don't contract for a Marine board if you will get the results back from the Navy board between when you contract and when you find out if you got selected, just kind of a dick move. In my case the boards were staggered though. I found out the results of the Marine board before I officially submitted for the Navy.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Marines are the smallest branch and have to be more selective with who they work with to preserve their culture and values. The competition is very tough right now, there are a lot of people out there who only want to be Marines,
Someone is starting the koolaid guzzling early.

You forgot to mention your PT score is more important than your officer-like qualities or job performance.

Yut Yut Devil Dog! Oorah….slurp…

MatchL

For anyone else reading this later, you can apply to both Marines and Navy boards. Marines call it contracting, but all it is is you are just getting the paperwork done before the OCC board. When I went through it my Navy recruiter said I wasn't bound to them at all and when I asked my Marine OSO, he wouldn't give me a straight answer so I assume my Navy OR was correct. I wound up getting rejected by the Marine board and picked up by the Navy board with no complications.

I would say just for everyones sake don't contract for a Marine board if you will get the results back from the Navy board between when you contract and when you find out if you got selected, just kind of a dick move. In my case the boards were staggered though. I found out the results of the Marine board before I officially submitted for the Navy.
Thank you for the information, this was exactly what I was looking for. Since you’ve been through the process already, my Marine OSO wants me to get cleared for NAMI. Would this create any conflict with the Navy ?