• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is the USMC contract you sign before board?

Tobe

I searched and couldn't find anything in the forum. I was just wondering because on the 17th I'm going to sign a contract so that I can be on the November USMC board. I'm applying USN as well and will be on the "October-ish" board. If I get selected I'd choose that but I was just wondering if that's still an option if you've already contracted with the Marines.

Tobe

Disturbing imagery. Makes me rethink this whole thing. *strokes beard solemnly while staring off into the distance...

Tobe

Does anyone have an answer to this? If it's a dumb question feel free to delete it. But I'd still really like to know.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I searched and couldn't find anything in the forum. I was just wondering because on the 17th I'm going to sign a contract so that I can be on the November USMC board. I'm applying USN as well and will be on the "October-ish" board. If I get selected I'd choose that but I was just wondering if that's still an option if you've already contracted with the Marines.
If you're talking about what I think you are, it's for OCS. Assuming it's the same as what I signed a decade ago, it obligates you for four weeks if you're doing the six week course or seven weeks for the ten week course. After that you are free to quit. It says that you will be a 75XX upon commissioning.

You don't have a commitment beyond 4-7 weeks until you commission or if you took money.

exNavyOffRec

A person has zero obligation to the military until they walk into OCS or start receiving money, you could be at the gate about to walk in and change your mind, nothing they can do.

Tobe

A person has zero obligation to the military until they walk into OCS or start receiving money, you could be at the gate about to walk in and change your mind, nothing they can do.

Thank you, I didn't see your reply earlier. I was just concerned that if I get pro rec'd Y on the September Navy board, the Marines would say, "sorry you already contracted with us." That's why I'm not sure if I should ask the Marine OSO if I can put off signing until a later date.

Tobe

If you're talking about what I think you are, it's for OCS. Assuming it's the same as what I signed a decade ago, it obligates you for four weeks if you're doing the six week course or seven weeks for the ten week course. After that you are free to quit. It says that you will be a 75XX upon commissioning.

You don't have a commitment beyond 4-7 weeks until you commission or if you took money.

They are having us sign a contract before being accepted to Marine OCC. I'm just wondering if that would prevent me from accepting an ocs spot in the Navy because that would come much sooner.

exNavyOffRec

They are having us sign a contract before being accepted to Marine OCC. I'm just wondering if that would prevent me from accepting an ocs spot in the Navy because that would come much sooner.

guys going enlisted take an oath at MEPS after signing all the paperwork, and it means nothing, until you get paid or walk into OCS you have not executed the contract.

Tobe

Just a heads up for someone following the discussion. I swore in and signed so many things it would make your head spin. I should have requested an electronic copy of the forms before hand. It was basically the swear in process thay Navy applicants gi through when in DEP after getting pro rec'd. Afterwards the lieutenant said "It's official and shook my hand." I was pretty confused because I'm not accepted to an OCC class yet and I'm not in the reserves or receiving money so I wouldn't say anything is official. Anyway, I don't know what to do if I get into the Navy because I don't know if I can withdraw from the Marine contract. I sound like a baby and I would be honored to be a part of the Marines and go to OCC I'm just really confused about what is "official" and if I'm already obligated to the program or not.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
If you get selected you owe 4 weeks at OCS. At which point you can DOR if you please, no harm no foul.

I'm sure there are ways you could get out of going if you were selected. But that is the TLDR version.

exNavyOffRec

Just a heads up for someone following the discussion. I swore in and signed so many things it would make your head spin. I should have requested an electronic copy of the forms before hand. It was basically the swear in process thay Navy applicants gi through when in DEP after getting pro rec'd. Afterwards the lieutenant said "It's official and shook my hand." I was pretty confused because I'm not accepted to an OCC class yet and I'm not in the reserves or receiving money so I wouldn't say anything is official. Anyway, I don't know what to do if I get into the Navy because I don't know if I can withdraw from the Marine contract. I sound like a baby and I would be honored to be a part of the Marines and go to OCC I'm just really confused about what is "official" and if I'm already obligated to the program or not.

Do you have a piece of paper saying you were selected and are you getting paid, if not then you owe nothing, even if you were selected you could walk into the office the day you are to leave and go, no thanks!

Tobe

Do you have a piece of paper saying you were selected and are you getting paid, if not then you owe nothing, even if you were selected you could walk into the office the day you are to leave and go, no thanks!

I don't and am not. So if selected for Navy I'm gonna do Navy and someone's feelings are going to be very hurt.