• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is the NFO training

Status
Not open for further replies.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they put you up in a hotel that costs 50 dollars a night (mil rate), the per diem must cover that plus whatever the Nav figures 3 sqaures and 'incidentals might cost. If you live in a hole in a shack in the desert, it's free, and so are your meals. However they have to give you SOMETHING for your 'incidentals' (real soap, toothpaste...).

I think per diem in Bahrain is like 100-120 bucks a day if you are staying in a hotel.

Per diem in 'other not so nice places' is usally much less, like 10 bucks, if that.

Did that make sense?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
So my understanding of this is: If you can figure out how to live cheaply on the Per Diem provided....you make BANK!

Is this a valid analysis?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That would be the VP option Vette! To sum it up. Single guy goes to sea to fly his pointy nose jet, whirrlybird or drive the big grey boat and he has to give up his BAQ/BAS (housing and food allowance). That means single guy will probably move out of apartment and if he owns a house, too bad about the extra bucks for the mortgage, he will be short for a few months. But the VP guys go on deployment, stay in nice (yes even the so called sh*t holes aren't so bad don't let them tell you otherwise) hotels, drink beer, eat well, associate with real civilian type people, participate in ordinary recreational pursuits, and as a bonus for all their sacrifices they keep their BAQ and get paid per diem at a rate they can bank! That is money to paint the house or buy a new car the TACAIR or SWO guy will never see. And yes Mr Webmaster, I am still ticked off even after all these years!! I am better looking, smarter, have a prettier wife, and flew a cooler airplane than any VP guy. I deserve the money more than them.

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
Oh wow. That was great. When its put like that, you really see how stupid it is. And the stupidest thing is that many people choose that airframe specifically for that reason!

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I love how the VP lifestyle is perceived as this "conspiracy" against the rest of the fleet. Until the Navy decides to dump the next carrier and fund a world-wide 5000 foot runway plan, we have no choice.

I tell ya, poke a little fun at your own community and look what happens.

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
Did I read that right? If you're single you give up your BAH while you're on cruise? How do they expect you to pay for your mortgage?!?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You read that right. Unless it has changed in the last couple years, it is a terrible unfairness to a single person going to sea. That is why there is so much good natured (most times) ribbing between VP and us salty dogs. Zab's great avatar says it all. VP/VQ guys love shoving it in our faces. We love shoving back. Well, as much as we can afford to that is. Just keep in mind who the real enemy is...the Air Farce. We can all unite on that one.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have been away a little too long Wink, they stopped doing that years ago. As a matter of fact, right after I got in 8 years ago they stopped making you bring in your lease or mortgage paperwork to get BAH (it is called Basic Allowance for Housing now). A buddy of mine showed up to his squadron 6 weeks before he left on deployment and instead of getting a place he slept on my couch for 6 weeks and then left. He collected BAH the whole time, it was perfectly legal. I have known a few guys to do that. As for Per Diem, it is a good deal but think of it this way, you have better stories if you go to the boat. A P-3 story "There I was, alying around the hotel on the 4 hour ready. We were playing PS2 when all of the sudden, the TV went out! Gasp, what were we to do?!" Think you can beat that Wink?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If any body does have questions about Hawaii, PM'em to me. There's a lot of gouge out there, good and bad on the place. I'd recc. it to anybody.

Best avatar EVER

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I couldn't have afforded a PS2 when they took my BAH and BAS away. Glad they have made an effort to remedy some of the unfairness. Once again, my perspective from the days of sail has only proven I have hung around long enough to see some changes for the good. Still, if those VP guys are getting BAS and BAH, then why do they deserve per diem? I'll never believe any VP guy is worth $100+ per day!! BTW. Had a VQ buddy back in the day that RONed several times at some little know semi secret location where the rate was close to $300/day and they spent the nights on the plane. Of course it was just for security puposes. Cha Ching!

Status
Not open for further replies.