• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is it like to be an NFO?

David M. Holland

East Meets West
Does anybody know what an NFO does in retirement? I know pilots can fly. Can NFOs do so? There are so many threads, I don't know how to find that answer!

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
NFO's can do anything they want in retirement. I know a lot (including myself) that are test engineers at Pax. That means there is a possibility of flying. I know one who is hired on to be a civilian flight test NFO.

Honestly, I miss flying but did not fly for my last 6 years in the Navy. There is a lot more to do out there.

David M. Holland

East Meets West
I put in a package for Flying CWO and STA-21 NFO. With Flying applicants, what are they looking for? You guys have seen a lot of things and I was wondering how a guy on a ship with no flying experience whatsoever is looked at by a board. I have college with so pretty impressive maths. EPs etc, but how does that translate to me being a good pilot/NFO? Or any surface guy for that matter?

Connor Bringas

This is my first post and it may be a pretty obvious answer to a simple question so bare with the newbie.

Is a typical NFO service obligation 6 yrs or 4?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thank you for the quick reply. Where are the typical bases for training? Just in florida?
There's a wealth of great information in various threads that will cover all of your common questions. I invite you to use the search function, do some reading, then come back with some more specific questions so we're not reinventing the wheel here. Happy searching. ;)

Aquonox

Just rolling along
None
IFS, API, Primary Intermediate, Advanced for NFOs = Pensacola

RAGs:
- E-2C = NS Norfolk, VA
- E-6B = Tinker AFB, OK
- EA-6B/EA-18G = NAS Whidbey Island, WA
- F/A-18F = NAS Oceana, VA or NAS Lemoore, CA
- P-3C/EP-3E/P-8A = NAS Jacksonville, FL