• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is it like to be an NFO?

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
some t-39 guys will let you mess around up high, and you always brief "pilot incapacitation" as an emergency, which involves you flying, haha.

MidWestEwo

None
Yeah, and the way the training goes, you become a voice activated auto pilot anyway. There is no reason you should not be able to fly the plane. The form flight is a little different story though :D

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Yeah, and the way the training goes, you become a voice activated auto pilot anyway. There is no reason you should not be able to fly the plane. The form flight is a little different story though :D

Eh, agree to disagree. Don't think I could fly the T-6 very well after FO primary, and I definitely wouldn't WANT to fly the -39 without a lot more training.

red_ryder

None

Stick skills aren't the same as knowing what to do. That being said, you'll find on hindsight that the T-6 would have been an easy plane to fly, compared to some others in Uncle's inventory.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ Hell, I used to let my (good) B/N's "fly" the bounce pattern @ CUBI occasionally. I'd ask 'em "do you wanna?'" ... head nods in the affirmative ... and then I'd hook up the autothrottles, he'd lean over and take the stick (after he stopped nodding -- can't have that & fly at the same time :)), and while he flew the pattern and the ball, I'd take a little nap.

Disclaimer: I probably had a hangover on the morning after the night before (up the hill @ the O'Club), so letting him "fly" was probably a "safety consideration" when you came right down to it ...

Life was good ... :)

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor

Disclaimer: I probably had a hangover on the morning after the night before (up the hill @ the O'Club), so letting him "fly" was probably a "safety consideration" when you came right down to it ...

Life was good ... :)

Those are the days you make sure to check the O2 mask. On bad days in the P-3 I would "check" a couple. ;)

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
3.5 GPA, 9/9/9 63 ASTB, hoping to be seen by OCS Board in August. I'm applying for NFO/SNA/SWO. I have a very slight preference for NFO, but am essentially indifferent between SNA and NFO. My dad, a retired USAF O-6, seems to think my career prospects in the Navy would be better as a pilot than an NFO. But, everything I see on the internet seems to suggest that pilots and NFOs in the Navy are equal in terms of promotability and command opportunities. However, I'd be interested in input from any NFOs and Pilots out there on the career prospects of pilots vs. NFOs. I'm thinking I've got a decent chance to be selected for both (fingers crossed, I know nothing's a sure thing) and I just want to be as informed as possible before making a decision that will effect the rest of my career. Thank you.

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
Why wouldn't you wanna be a pilot if you could? You don't like flying or...??

I like flying, that's why NFO is appealing. Like I said though, I'm nearly indifferent between pilot and NFO. My slight preference for NFO over pilot is because I like the idea of controlling the systems on a plane rather than the controls of the plane. Sure, pilots on F-18Cs and F-18Es control the controls and the systems, but that's not the case on the Prowler/Growler, P-3/P-8, or E-2. I'm just looking into all options and trying to make an informed and well thought out decision. I may still pick pilot over NFO if selected to both... I just don't know yet. That's why I'm on here trying to do some research!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
3.5 GPA, 9/9/9 63 ASTB, hoping to be seen by OCS Board in August. I'm applying for NFO/SNA/SWO. I have a very slight preference for NFO, but am essentially indifferent between SNA and NFO. My dad, a retired USAF O-6, seems to think my career prospects in the Navy would be better as a pilot than an NFO. But, everything I see on the internet seems to suggest that pilots and NFOs in the Navy are equal in terms of promotability and command opportunities. However, I'd be interested in input from any NFOs and Pilots out there on the career prospects of pilots vs. NFOs. I'm thinking I've got a decent chance to be selected for both (fingers crossed, I know nothing's a sure thing) and I just want to be as informed as possible before making a decision that will effect the rest of my career. Thank you.
There is no difference in career options and progress between pilots and NFOs. The AF is far more pilot centric. There was a time, probably through most of a retried USAF O-6s career, when pilots got virtually all command opportunities. I understand that has changed. But there is no doubt, it is still pilot centric. Not so the USN/USMC. Choose the one you want and don't look back. You know what will make you happy, not anyone on this forum.