• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is appropriate civilian attire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'm pretty sure shorts are authorized as ACA, so long as they aren't excessively baggy/sagging, frayed, full of holes, PT/gym shorts, etc. Hell, they can even be short shorts (within good reason/not nut-huggers). ACA basically comes down to the simple rule of "If I have to ask, I probably can't wear it."

My NROTC unit specifically said no shorts when we reported for Freshman Indoc, so I'd probably go with pants or slacks for OCS pick-up. Then again, I'm just an NROTC puke.
And this one proves there are those who can't help themselves and just have to answer questions despite having neither the required background or knowledge.......

UserName

There was a guy who showed up with my class that had some longer hair and a luigi mustache. :disguise_ (don't be that guy) I found out later the candio's were really struggling not to bust up laughing when they told him to shave it off.

It turned out he tried to march straight legged like he was a nazi. no joke. He barely made it 2 weeks before attrition.

The funny part about the whole thing was that he had the same name as a prior SEAL and therefore shared a room. The two could not have been any different.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
@HAL Pilot: I acknowledged I hadn't been to OCS. However, to my knowledge, Appropriate Civilian Attire is standard across the fleet, even in training commands. While I am on the low end of the totem pole, I've seen enough middies chewed out for failing to wear proper ACA that I think I can answer the question with relative accuracy. And, to be honest, if it won't fly at an NROTC unit or on a middie summer cruise, it probably won't fly at OCS.

TL;DR - Just because I didn't go to OCS doesn't mean I don't know what constitutes ACA. And was I wrong in my suggestion for khaki pants, polo/button down, and belt for ACA?

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
ACA is one thing, however GOOD IDEAS =/= GI Joe Shirts (ARE YOU HERE TO FIGHT COOOOBRRRAAA?), American Flag Shirts, Full beards, Dreadlocks, Hair to your waist, Ripped and torn jeans, Flip flops...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
@HAL Pilot: I acknowledged I hadn't been to OCS.
Cliff, you should have stop right here.

However, to my knowledge, Appropriate Civilian Attire is standard across the fleet, even in training commands. While I am on the low end of the totem pole, I've seen enough middies chewed out for failing to wear proper ACA that I think I can answer the question with relative accuracy. And, to be honest, if it won't fly at an NROTC unit or on a middie summer cruise, it probably won't fly at OCS.
And to be even more honest, there is a lot that will fly at ROTC or middie summer cruise that will just make you stand out to a Marine DI, even if it is a training command. You haven't been to OCS. Let those that have recently attended OCS give OCS answers. You should stick to ROTC questions.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
And to be even more honest, there is a lot that will fly at ROTC or middie summer cruise that will just make you stand out to a Marine DI, even if it is a training command. You haven't been to OCS. Let those that have recently attended OCS give OCS answers. You should stick to ROTC questions.

I think we're seeing eye to eye but looking at different sides of the equation. I completely agree that a lot of crap at NROTC units flies when it would get correct elsewhere; that's exactly my point about the whole ACA thing--if middies are getting corrected for it, I would assume it would cause a DI to go completely ballistic on someone at OCS. That being said, if the ACA regs I'm familiar with dictate pants/slacks, polo/button down, belt, and closed toed shoes, OCS can be counted on to be at least that strict (and I doubt it could get any stricter, unless they want him showing up in an actual suit or tuxedo). I'm not trying to answer a question about what to expect at OCS, but a simple answer to a simple question.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and lurk the other areas of the boards per your advice, since this thread got hijacked into a silly issue that distorted the question. Sorry for the disturbance.

P.S. I got a good laugh at the Cliff Calvin avatar change. Lesson learned.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
I think it will be best if you show up in a thong and a bow tie! :icon_smil
It says, I am stripped of my civilian dignity but yet classy enough to begin the building of my new character.

I would LOVE to see the look on their faces if someone actually rolled out of the van looking like that. That would be epic!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.