• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is a typical day at TBS like?

drew0203

PLC-C Ground Summer 05'
The only military experience I have is OCS. From what people tell me, OCS is unique in itself. Can someone describe a typical day at TBS so I stop thinking of it as OCS? What time is lights? How long do you get from chow? When is the day over? How much personal time would you get in a week?

drew

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
you are in for one hell of a surprise.

Ok, now before I answer your question there are some threads on here talking about this very thing so look through the TBS threads and it will give you more of an idea...

Here is some general information that might be helpful that I have heard from others...

"1)TBS is a long six months, late nights, early mornings. Evaluations of your fellow Marines and evaluations by your SPC should be continuous and not set in stone after initial meeting. Marines that seem like turds in garrison may be awesome in the field and vice versa. The only evaluation that matters in the end is you SPC's evaluation (fireteam and squad rankings, spear evals usually only account for nothing to 10% of you overall _eval grade). With that said, squad and platoon ranking give your SPC an idea, like in OCS what type of person(leader) everyone thinks of you. Be yourself, don't waiver, screw making everyone happy, its not a popularity contest.

2)Rifle Range is like what the enlisted go through at either MCRD (0-5pts per shot, 250 max score), but they treat you like Marine Officers( if they don't, say something). The Rifle and Pistol range coaches are great from my experience, they have plenty of them to help you out if you need it. I am going to say something in caps to make a point here, SAFETY VIOLATIONS MAKE YOU LOOK BAD IN THE EYES OF YOUR SPC AND FELLOW MARINES, ATTENTION TO DETAILS ARE REALLY IMPORTANT( I had a Marine in my fireteam fail to properly clear his weapon and had a discharge when he was dry firing). Pretty scary, especially when you think he said he "looked" . They can kick you off the range for 3 violations(that marine had two right there) of more during the week. Final qual is just another day don't wig out.

3)Academic events here are mostly all multiple guess with a few exceptions(Order test, comm exam, TDM's). With that being said, pay attention to the reviews(THEY ARE EXTREMELY HELPFUL ABOUT 85%OF THE TIME) and most importantly study smart(Staying up until 3 am on a weekday to cram the knowledge is stupid, that is what the weekend before the exam is for). Study groups are essential in between a 90% and a 100%. In the end, if know the info cold and you will be fine. If the question is B.S. at the end of the test CHALLENGE IT.

4)EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!!!: Since the most important weighted grade comes form your SPC's evaluation, his or her opinion matters the most on your overall grade.
The most important thing that will determine your final standing in my opinion are three things:
A)How well you give and execute an order at a STEX(Sand Table) and FEX(Field)
B)How you conduct yourself in a Billet in the FEX( Most important) and in garrison
C)SPC's evaluation of (A) and (B)

You could be a rocket scientist and Mr. Marine in the garrison environment but suck in the field, your overall grade will drastically drop. The same is also true if you are a meathead and average student in Garrison and natural Chesty Puller in the field you will have a higher grade that the previous Einstein.

5)Since you are an Law Contract your overall goal is to do as well as you can there and get to the Fleet. Law and Air contracts don't have to fight for an MOS, so the only this you can take from there is lineal standing and reputation. Make some good friends, don't get dropped(due to you getting a DUI or UCMJ Violation), and be a stand-up Marine.

6) As soon as you get you gear from supply, make sure you get a working compass, if you can buy a zero deviation compass from a sporting goods store, good to go. Final Land Nav has legs of 1000 meters or more with a deviation of only 4 degrees between them( if you are certain of your deviation 0 to 3 degrees, by checking and rechecking, that's fine too) so if your compass sucks you will fail Night Land Nav. Day Land Nav makes you money if you use check points and land marks on the map and running to them, instead of compass point to point 100 meter legs( Time on final day and night Land Nav is the killer). Finally, don't talk during Night or Day Nav you will hear about a company that almost had several Lt's almost lose commissions over talking during those events, that was my company."

Ok, now specifically about your questions. There is no typical day at TBS, they will all be slightly different which is a good thing because you won't get complacent as easily. TBS is nothing like OCS but you will realize that when you get there so don't worry before that. "Lights", or "On Deck Time" as it is called at TBS will vary depending on the days activities, ranging from 0400 to 0715 or so. Chow, well most of the time they can work in an hour for lunch but not alwasys so don't count on it. All other chow is on your own. The day is over somewhere between 1 hr and 5 hrs after your last planned event depending largely on your student Company staff. Personal time varies with the week, but don't worry about that...

Crowbar

None
SAFETY VIOLATIONS MAKE YOU LOOK BAD IN THE EYES OF YOUR SPC AND FELLOW MARINES,

Uh, more importantly, safety violations can get people hurt or killed.

Law and Air contracts don't have to fight for an MOS, so the only this you can take from there is lineal standing and reputation.

There's a lot more for Law and Air contracts to take away from TBS than those two things.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Uh, more importantly, safety violations can get people hurt or killed.

There's a lot more for Law and Air contracts to take away from TBS than those two things.

Like I said just some stuff that I have heard from others giving out...thought I would pass it on...

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Just to give you more of a big picture view as to the things you asked about:

It could be compared to more of a college atmosphere where OCS is more like a military school. It's not like OCS where you eat at the same time everyday and have only 5 min to eat.

The chow hall has certain hrs and based on when you have a break in the schedule for the day you will just go with your friends to eat. Besides the chow hall there is a pizza/sandwich spot in the BOQ and you can always nuke something in your microwave in your room.

Lights out is whenever the hell u want. You could go out and drink all night if you wanted to as long as you were on deck at the time briefed at the end of the prior day. Not the smartest thing to do but you'll do it at least once ... we all do (hehe).

Personal time. When ever your day is secured (that's a whole other story that you will learn with much pain and suffering), your time is your own and the weekends as well. We mostly went to DC on the weekends and partied. There is always Uncle Sams to the south (you will find out about that place too).

In short .... just like college, part of the fun is the mystery and the learning that goes along with that mystery. Have a good time and learn as much as you can.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Lights out is whenever the hell u want. You could go out and drink all night if you wanted to as long as you were on deck at the time briefed at the end of the prior day. Not the smartest thing to do but you'll do it at least once ... we all do (hehe).

Be sure to leave that 12 hr window before returning to duty though or things might get messy...

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
Isn't there a max distance that you're allowed to travel on the weekends without having to get special permission? Hows that work?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Isn't there a max distance that you're allowed to travel on the weekends without having to get special permission? Hows that work?

Yes, they will clear that up when you get there...you submit a special liberty chit to your SPC and then they approve or not before forwarding it to your Co Commander

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
openbah said:
Isn't there a max distance that you're allowed to travel on the weekends without having to get special permission?

It's 300 miles. So you could go to NYC on the weekend if you wanted.