• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What if you receive a 4 year scholarship to a school you don't want to attend?

jtellez

I'm still waiting to here back on my scholarship, I believe in in the final phase because on the status page it has a bunch of my info saying they have everything processed and the line :

Selection Status

No decision has been made on your application.

But as I asked in the title, what if they give me a scholarship to a school on my list but that I don't plan on attending. I'm dead set on going to VMI but if I get a scholarship to Virginia Tech or somewhere else, am I left without a scholarship if I decide to go to VMI instead? Or is there a way to transfer the scholarship over or something? Thanks for any help.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
If you could simply take the scholarship to any school you wanted, why would they assign a school?
If you don't get the scholarship to VMI, you could go there, join the NROTC as a college program student, and apply for a three year from within the school.

Phantom Hawk

This is nothing official, but I know VMI wanted me to transfer to their school when I first found out about my scholarship. They told me I could do it, so that would make me think that it is possible. I would say call the VMI recruiter and ask him if it is possible. Also, I dont know how VMI works, but if there is a limit on the amount of people they can have on scholarship, you should probably call and let them know you are interested ASAP.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Like Phantom said. It's possible to transfer the scholarship, but they only have so many spots and they will have to be motivated to fight it for you.

af_rotc

Banned
This might be different in the Air Force, but when I got my 4-year I then listed the schools I wanted to attend. it appears for the NAvy you have already listed that. Once they selected me for a school, I was only able to change schools with the committee's permission and if that school had the degree I had been chosen for and had a ROTC det. there.

I would think that if the school you want to attend has a det there and the degree major they select you for, you shouldn't have a problem, but I could be wrong.

My $0.02

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The Navy doesn't pre-approve your major. They only ask for a request of what schools you want, and then go from there. Any other drug dealing goes on between the freshman advisor at the school and CNET (or whatever they're called now).

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
af_officer said:
This might be different in the Air Force, but when I got my 4-year I then listed the schools I wanted to attend. it appears for the NAvy you have already listed that. Once they selected me for a school, I was only able to change schools with the committee's permission and if that school had the degree I had been chosen for and had a ROTC det. there.

I would think that if the school you want to attend has a det there and the degree major they select you for, you shouldn't have a problem, but I could be wrong.

My $0.02

The Navy does it differently than the AF. The AF gives scholarships according to majors, they don't care what school you go to. The Navy is exactly the opposite, they give scholarships to schools and don't care what major you get there.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I got my rotc scholarship transferred... twice. First time to a different school after i got wait-listed to my first choice school but got the scholarship there- second time was switching back to the first choice school once they accepted me. I believe i talked to them on the phone, and had to file a request for a change of school. My API roomate requested a change of school and got denied so her ended up going to the one he was awarded the scholarship to even though it wasnt his first choice. It is possible to do, but your going to have to put some effort in to get it done.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
I also had my VMI ROTC scholarship transferred to a different school, so the scholarships are the same. I asked for it to be transfered before accepting it I'm pretty sure (it WAS almost 6 years ago). Just make sure of a few things before you do that would probably help:

-Make sure your accepted into the school you wish to transfer to. (duh!)
-Have a good reason to transfer it. Saying "Because you never wanted to to go to Virginia Tech in the first place" is a bad idea, since it IS on your list of schools. Find another reason. Like for example, I switched from VMI to an instate school for me (PA), and said it was to be closer to home and family. They saved money paying in state tuition and I went to a school I wanted to go to more than VMI.

Edit: The school I transfered to also wasn't on my initial list either. Bottom line: It's worth asking to have it transferred, but like someone said above, you can go to VMI and apply for a scholarship once your there.

jtellez

Thanks for all the help, now I'll just wait to hear back on the scholarship and hoepfully it will be good news.

Johnnyo'

Victory is mine
Generally, you will get your first choice from the top 3 schools you listed as part of the application; at least thats what happened in my case. If you log into your online account at the NROTC website I believe you can request a change in your school assignment by emailing CNET.

jtellez

Yeah I have that list of top 3 schools too, I got VMI as my first choice. How long after you got that final screen did it take for you to get back a decision on the online status page?

Johnnyo'

Victory is mine
It took about three months to hear back from the scholarship board; I completed my application, including the interview, in october and received the scholarship in january. Good luck.

pilotvmi

I was in the same situation. I got a four year navy scholarship and I was accepted to vmi and va tech. I really wasnt sure which school I wanted to go to. In the end I chose vmi and the navy was great about giving me the scholarship to that school. If you get the scholarship you will be able to go to vmi, even if you have to switch it. Great choice by the way.

jtellez

Great to hear BLWHLE2, and USNcavlier, I hope 3 months is the average time, because I finished up in December so March is three months later.