• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What High School Electives/USNA?

TalonII

Banned
As to the USAFA, these days most people agree the AFA is easier, militarily, then the USNA. Academically, overall, the USNA tends to rate higher in those polls and surveys that are published yearly. The AFA has some majors that rate better then USNA. Really, the only thing you need to know is that if you go to the AFA you will end up an Air Farce officer.

When I was at USAFA, about 10 years ago, this was not the case. The exchange guys we have from USNA and USMA thought USAFA was more difficult academically, overall militarily, but the others were harder on the freshman. Also, I saw that USAFA ranked higher by the princeton review and US news. Having said that, the general concenus was they all sucked for four years then you graduate. Academically the difference between the five academies is proably the differenece between getting a 98.5 and a 99 on a test. The big difference is if you gradutae from USAFA you will most likely be in the Air Force. If you graduate from USNA, welcome to the Navy. If you are sure you want to fly, you will have the chance in the AF.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I'm a freshman. I play football, make a 3.9 GPA, have a job at Subway, officer in FBLA, and in Army ROTC (only ROTC program offered by my school). I am trying hard to show leadership, academic ability, and athletic ability. Sorry for not saying this.
Go Cards!!!

Hey kid you have a great start. I played starting tailback for my highschool and captained my varsity soccer team all 4 years. Get into as many clubs as you can. National Honor Society is a big plus. Stay in sports and don't forget to get into a LITTLE trouble along the way.

1) Study hard 2) keep in shape through your athletics 3) chase some tail 4) don't be a puss, be a kid and have fun 5) you're going to stumble a few times along the way but don't let it get you down...keep your eyes on the prize (pilot slot) 6) Fly Navy :)

Good luck bro.

TalonII

Banned
In response to Mr Norris'...I have been in some really crappy managed AF squadrons. He was lucky to be in a good squadron. Also, the deployment thing goes up and down. I know guys now that do 90 days at home 90 in the sandbox, rinse and repeat with no end is site.

TalonII

Banned
Neither. Have a real college experience... you're going to spend 8+ years in the military... :D

Agreed. One other thing to keep in mind. You get a 10 service commitment for pilot school, and that's after you graduate. If it takes you two years after commissioning to get your wings, that's 12 years in service, plus the 4 years at the academy. That makes you about 34 before you can consider doing anything else. Do your research.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
When I was at USAFA, about 10 years ago, this was not the case. The exchange guys we have from USNA and USMA thought USAFA was more difficult academically, overall militarily, but the others were harder on the freshman. Also, I saw that USAFA ranked higher by the princeton review and US news. Having said that, the general concenus was they all sucked for four years then you graduate. Academically the difference between the five academies is proably the differenece between getting a 98.5 and a 99 on a test. The big difference is if you gradutae from USAFA you will most likely be in the Air Force. If you graduate from USNA, welcome to the Navy. If you are sure you want to fly, you will have the chance in the AF.

I lived with an exchange cadet from USAFA last semester and he said one of the biggest differences academically was that at USNA the professors have a lot more leeway in what they want to teach and each teacher follows more of a guideline than a hard and fast syllabus, which sometimes works out great when you have a great prof and works out not so great when your prof isn't so hot. He consistently said at USNA we have much more military obligations during the week at the sacrifice of Academics (which I'd say most exchangers agree on). He consistently said that the Academics at USNA were easier than at USAFA, but I call the B.S. flag on that one since his GPA was the lowest it ever was while he was here too... Maybe though he just wasn't adjusted to the military obligations during the week, but still.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
In response to Mr Norris'...I have been in some really crappy managed AF squadrons. He was lucky to be in a good squadron. Also, the deployment thing goes up and down. I know guys now that do 90 days at home 90 in the sandbox, rinse and repeat with no end is site.

He wrote that years ago and it's still spot on in many respects but the USAF has certainly gotten used to deployments over the last few years. That being said, having detted out of Aviano, Incerlik and PSAB the boat is still the most miserable and most demanding environment in the business.

TalonII

Banned
With the exchange cadets/mids I think the adjustment to a different schedule, terms, and the like make it more demanding. USNA, USAFA, and USMA are all pretty much the same. The difference is what happens after you graduate. That needs to be the focus. Where do you want to be? I am not advocating for either one, that's up for you to decide. Although I would avoid the army if you want to be aviator. Those guys do some badass shit in helos, but the real flying is done by WO's.

nomad21590

Hi, I'm a plebe this year at USNA, and they have told us numerous time that as long as you can make it into the upper half of your class, you're pretty much guranteed whatever service selection you want. I think it's along the lines 90% of firsties get the service selection they want. So... if you want to fly, don't let the smaller number of slots affect your decision. Plus the campus here is way better.

louisvillefan77

USNA, USAFA, and USMA are all pretty much the same. The difference is what happens after you graduate. That needs to be the focus. Where do you want to be? I am not advocating for either one, that's up for you to decide.

I would like to be an aviator, and eventually a politician. High ranking officers from the military make good politicians because they are usually patriotic, leaders, and have military experience, and some other personal traits. I want to eventually become a huge part of politics, such as congressman, or even maybe, just maybe, president. So which academy and branch teaches better leadership and would be a better school/branch to go to for politics. Thank you, God Bless.
Go Cards!!!

Q: What do you get when you cross a Kentucky bball player and a pig?
A: Nothing. There's some things that a pig will not do.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
If you want to fly for a service whose Base Operations Building has Gucci Flatscreens and the bathrooms are Italian Marble with inlaid gold sinks, the AF is for you.

Hey I have that here working for the Army... (Of course it was built for Saddam but whatteverrr..)

Besides things went down hill at USAFA when they struck "Bring me Men" from the campus, they became too PC.

TalonII

Banned
I would like to be an aviator, and eventually a politician. High ranking officers from the military make good politicians because they are usually patriotic, leaders, and have military experience, and some other personal traits. I want to eventually become a huge part of politics, such as congressman, or even maybe, just maybe, president. So which academy and branch teaches better leadership and would be a better school/branch to go to for politics. Thank you, God Bless.

For leadership they are pretty much the same. All have had congressmen, senators, and governors. West Point and Navy will have more numbers, remember USAFA graduated it's first class in 1959. Military experience being huge like Clinton's and Obama's? Or for that matter the guard time for Bush 2? Your leadership talents are what you make of them. If politics is your unlimate goal I don't think I would go to aviation because of the long committment to the service and even with crew A/C you are not in charge of that many people versus a SEAL or Infantry or the AF combat finance squadrons. If you want to do politics go to it as soon as possible.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
If politics is your unlimate goal I don't think I would go to aviation because of the long committment to the service and even with crew A/C you are not in charge of that many people versus a SEAL or Infantry or the AF combat finance squadrons.

False. Naval Aviators/Flight Officers DO have leadership billets. DIVO, Dept Head, XO/CO, etc.