• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens to an OCS drop out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alright, alright, Jeebus Christ, it was a simple question.

Attrite during OCS, assuming you came straight from Civvieland and the Navy hasn't paid for your schooling: back to Civvieland you go. Thanks for playing, enjoy your new haircut.

Once you're comissioned, you can't be "made" enlisted, no matter what happens to you. Doesn't work like that. Either you'll do some other officer job in the Navy or you'll be sent home.

Attrite from the flight program, pre-wings: if you're comissioned through OCS, and if the Navy hasn't paid for your schooling and you weren't prior enlisted, right now policy is to seperate you, i.e., back to Civvieland. Otherwise, you'll be re-designated to a non-aviation job (SWO, Intel, so on).

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Uncle Fester -

So if you NPQ in P'Cola for some reason not previously found, and you are non-BDCP/scholarship, they won't let you redesignate? I'd probably cry if I made it all the way to NAMI and then, "thanks for playing." I can understand maybe a little more for attrites, I think I'd go down fighting for at least a SWO spot.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Uncle Fester -

So if you NPQ in P'Cola for some reason not previously found, and you are non-BDCP/scholarship, they won't let you redesignate? I'd probably cry if I made it all the way to NAMI and then, "thanks for playing." I can understand maybe a little more for attrites, I think I'd go down fighting for at least a SWO spot.

ATM, yes.

Thanks, Fester. I have read on previous threads that guys were discussing whether you'd be sent to Great Lakes if you failed out of flight school. Thanks for the clarification.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Uncle Fester -

Not official, not for attribution, ass covered, but: I doubt it. The policy as it stands now is mostly for attrites/DORs. NPQs, I'd bet they'll find you a new job.

Nikki2184

Alright, alright, Jeebus Christ, it was a simple question.

Attrite during OCS, assuming you came straight from Civvieland and the Navy hasn't paid for your schooling: back to Civvieland you go. Thanks for playing, enjoy your new haircut.

Once you're comissioned, you can't be "made" enlisted, no matter what happens to you. Doesn't work like that. Either you'll do some other officer job in the Navy or you'll be sent home.

Attrite from the flight program, pre-wings: if you're comissioned through OCS, and if the Navy hasn't paid for your schooling and you weren't prior enlisted, right now policy is to seperate you, i.e., back to Civvieland. Otherwise, you'll be re-designated to a non-aviation job (SWO, Intel, so on).

This is all true. Basically, if the Navy gave you money, they're gonna get their money's worth out of you. If not, it's cheaper for them to cut the strings and send you packing.

It is important to remember, as stated before, if you DOR or are NPQed from OCS, it will take MONTHS for you to be out processed with all the I's that need dotting and T's that need crossing. Chances are, you'll still be waiting around when you're class graduates with a commission.:(

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I was NPQd for pilot at OCS and was allowed to redesignate to FO, so I'm guessing they'd let a commissioned officer resesignate. Of course, that was WAAAAY Back in August of 07, so who knows.

Meadows

If you DOR from OCS you will get clamidia and die. Clamidia, that's K L A...

Shoot! Well I don't want Chlamydia so I guess I better stay in. But Seriously, thanks for the real answers guys. Another thing that was haunting me is when you actually sign the contract. Is it when you swear in after OCS or is it before you even start OCS?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
alright you clowns, but what's the real deal? If I don't finish OCS (for whatever reason) will I really get chlamydia? Also, if you fail during flight training (that's after receiving a commission from OCS) do you get the boot from the Navy, get the chance/are forced to transfer communities, enlist as an enlisted sailor.

Can someone explain the logic of sending a commissioned officer to Great Lakes to become enlisted? Isn't that like running for vice president after you've already served a term as president?

logic...LOL he said logic

Nikki2184

Shoot! Well I don't want Chlamydia so I guess I better stay in. But Seriously, thanks for the real answers guys. Another thing that was haunting me is when you actually sign the contract. Is it when you swear in after OCS or is it before you even start OCS?

"haunting" you?? You're not signing a deal with the devil for your soul! I came straight from "civi-land", signed my contract when I was sworn in, couple weeks before I went to OCS, got orders to OCS as an active duty E-5 in the USN reserves, but got "discharged" from enlisted service day before OCS graduation and signed my commissioning docs and was an Ensign day of graduation. So, the answer to your question depends on which "contract" you mean...

Meadows

Good point. I guess "haunting" was the wrong word. It was just a question that I had asked several other non-navy people that might know but I kept getting several different answers. So I guess you could say I was unclear.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
Thanks, Fester. I have read on previous threads that guys were discussing whether you'd be sent to Great Lakes if you failed out of flight school. Thanks for the clarification.
i've heard / seen some incredibly bad gouge (i HATE that word) but damn thats pretty high up there

Nikki2184

I was NPQd for pilot at OCS and was allowed to redesignate to FO, so I'm guessing they'd let a commissioned officer resesignate. Of course, that was WAAAAY Back in August of 07, so who knows.

There was a guy in our class (June 08) at OCS who was NPQd from NFO before we were commissioned and re-designated to SWO.

Status
Not open for further replies.