• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What Happens If You Can't Land on a Carrier?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m not sure why you chose to interpret my comments as a reference to rank. I was referring to the experience level/credibility of the people who responded to your post, as compared to your frame of reference.

Bad gouge is bad gouge, regardless of the rank of the poster.

That being said, your posts seem a tad bit defensive.

taxi1

pilot
If you're "blue water", there's no divert, but then there has to be gas airborne and an alert tanker ready to launch
Ahem…E2s (old ones)

Alert launched blue water at night over the Atlantic one time, turned out the Russians turned away so we loitered near the boat for 4 hours until the sun came up, no need for a night blue water trap. All of us phone patched home over the HF while droning. The air wing had just finished for FOD walkdown when I came in for my shit hot break, so I had an audience. Vapes of the wings and dome, fast all the way to an OK 2. Fine navy day!

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ahem…E2s (old ones)

Alert launched blue water at night over the Atlantic one time, turned out the Russians turned away so we loitered near the boat for 4 hours until the sun came up, no need for a night blue water trap. All of us phone patched home over the HF while droning. The air wing had just finished for FOD walkdown when I came in for my shit hot break, so I had an audience. Vapes of the wings and dome, fast all the way to an OK 2. Fine navy day!
How did you “phone patch home” using HF? Wish I’d known this was a thing in my Prowler days.

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
I’m not sure why you chose to interpret my comments as a reference to rank. I was referring to the experience level/credibility of the people who responded to your post, as compared to your frame of reference.

Bad gouge is bad gouge, regardless of the rank of the poster.

That being said, your posts seem a tad bit defensive
Ok you implied that I responded a certain away with a “you don’t even know who your talking to” as if it mattered. Which is why I said what I said. Let’s move along from this

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think he just meant that you said your "guess" and then when it was corrected by someone who knows exactly what they are talking about (Brett), it isn't very useful to get defensive. Nobody is pulling rank on this site, and we welcome those of you who are either interested or actively accessing into this community. But more importantly, nobody is judging an ABE1 for not understanding the intricacies of aviation training. It's all good brother. I couldn't begin to speak intelligently on the quals and training you all complete to be an all up round. We just generally don't do a lot of "speculation" on this site, especially on subjects where many of us are pretty knowledgeable. You could be sure that we wouldn't question you on technical knowledge of your area of expertise. And also, welcome to the site!

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
I think he just meant that you said your "guess" and then when it was corrected by someone who knows exactly what they are talking about (Brett), it isn't very useful to get defensive. Nobody is pulling rank on this site, and we welcome those of you who are either interested or actively accessing into this community. But more importantly, nobody is judging an ABE1 for not understanding the intricacies of aviation training. It's all good brother. I couldn't begin to speak intelligently on the quals and training you all complete to be an all up round. We just generally don't do a lot of "speculation" on this site, especially on subjects where many of us are pretty knowledgeable. You could be sure that we wouldn't question you on technical knowledge of your area of expertise. And also, welcome to the site!
I see your point. I did not see any harm in guessing, I was expecting a clarification from someone. Me personally, if someone made a wrong guess on this site, I would simply just give correct answer. I don’t mind getting fact checked. I was already aware of the initial cq trials, but I think the person was asking if they had to do something else before landing on an aircraft. I don’t think it’s the easiest thing trying to land an a moving airport so thought one had to do so many hours on land before conducting sea trials what was going on my hand. (Could be wrong “if had to guess”) kind of thing. But thank you for your welcome

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You call USAF HF Global or MARS radio, give them a phone number, and request they patch you through.
We would sometimes do the same thing in the Mighty COD. Or we would just wait until we got to our hotel's wifi.
I see your point. I did not see any harm in guessing, I was expecting a clarification from someone. Me personally, if someone made a wrong guess on this site, I would simply just give correct answer. I don’t mind getting fact checked. I was already aware of the initial cq trials, but I think the person was asking if they had to do something else before landing on an aircraft. I don’t think it’s the easiest thing trying to land an a moving airport so thought one had to do so many hours on land before conducting sea trials what was going on my hand. (Could be wrong “if had to guess”) kind of thing. But thank you for your welcome

Field Carrier Landing Practice is what you should google. It's already been mentioned here, but that's how pilots practice ashore for landing at the ship. It has purely to do with flying and nothing to do with ALRE other than the IFLOLS.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
We have a guy in our VP squadron who transitioned from the F18 to the P8 after he wasn’t able to complete CQs (to the best of my knowledge). I would have to imagine the Navy would not want to kick these guys out, or even transition them out of aviation entirely if the only issue was something very specific to a certain community and their talents could be better applied to another aviation airframe.

We have one in my squadron... but then again I also had one that was at my last job too that wasn't flying ever again. Not sure what the difference was. I assume attitude. He ended up lat txfering from 1300 to Space Cadre.

John Laurens

There’s nothing wrong asking questions… if you can at least put in the homework and research first.

Roger that. Thanks.

taxi1

pilot
How did you “phone patch home” using HF? Wish I’d known this was a thing in my Prowler days.
As per @Mos . Some guy sat there flipping a switch back and forth…

“I love you…over”
“I love you too, babe…over”

Reminds me of this scene from The Other Guys

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
We would sometimes do the same thing in the Mighty COD. Or we would just wait until we got to our hotel's wifi.

Field Carrier Landing Practice is what you should google. It's already been mentioned here, but that's how pilots practice ashore for landing at the ship. It has purely to do with flying and nothing to do with ALRE other than the IFLOLS
Ok that makes sense. I wasn’t the one that asked, I just responded.