• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens at Tahoe doesn't stay at Tahoe; What would Gramps say?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For those that ask "what happened" and for those that readily post what they know or THINK they know, this post is for you...

A lot of these mishap threads get locked very quickly. It's not because the video or picture itself is privileged, or even that a statement made by someone here is privileged. It's because the website (ie Webmaster) doesn't want to be listed as a "source" for information, correct or otherwise, for some eager journalist who's going to "get the scoop" (see: Fox News...several weeks ago). There was already one thread for this mishap. It was removed, then reinstated, but some horrible mod/admin issue happened to it and I couldn't make this post in it. So now we have another post showing the vid. Enjoy it for what it is. But discussion of facts or how a third gunman on a grassy knoll caused the helo(s) to spin are unnecessary and will probably close the thread pretty quick.

Gracias.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
For those that ask "what happened" and for those that readily post what they know or THINK they know, this post is for you...

A lot of these mishap threads get locked very quickly. It's not because the video or picture itself is privileged, or even that a statement made by someone here is privileged. It's because the website (ie Webmaster) doesn't want to be listed as a "source" for information, correct or otherwise, for some eager journalist who's going to "get the scoop" (see: Fox News...several weeks ago). There was already one thread for this mishap. It was removed, then reinstated, but some horrible mod/admin issue happened to it and I couldn't make this post in it. So now we have another post showing the vid. Enjoy it for what it is. But discussion of facts or how a third gunman on a grassy knoll caused the helo(s) to spin are unnecessary and will probably close the thread pretty quick.

Gracias.

Everyone know's it was the CIA and FBI conspiring together. pfft, third gunman on the grassy knoll ;-)

H60Gunner

Contributor
Do not think this is for me, because I know what happened.…
There was already one thread for this mishap. It was removed, then reinstated, but some horrible mod/admin issue happened to it and I couldn't make this post in it.
I am the guilty party. I posted a link to the vid with a comment. I SHOULD have checked my sources before posting the link. I had no idea at the time it was a dual class C. Web San set me straight, lesson learned.
I am glad no one was injured and feel sorry for the poor SDO who had tell the skipper.

tusk91

Pentagon investigating chopper dip into Lake Tahoe

A tourist captured the incident on a cell phone camera from above Emerald Bay on September 13. It shows two Navy MH-60 Romeo helicopters, based out of San Diego, each worth $33 million hovering over the lake and then losing altitude enough to actually go under water for a couple seconds. Both were able to regain altitude and fly away. The helicopters suffered what the military call "Class C damage, which means more than $50,000 but less than $500,000.

Link:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/New-Details-Emerge-From-Tahoes-Chopper-Dip-103829024.html

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A tourist captured the incident on a cell phone camera from above Emerald Bay on September 13. It shows two Navy MH-60 Romeo helicopters, based out of San Diego, each worth $33 million hovering over the lake and then losing altitude enough to actually go under water for a couple seconds. Both were able to regain altitude and fly away. The helicopters suffered what the military call "Class C damage, which means more than $50,000 but less than $500,000.

The Romeo's can fly underwater.

Damn that is cool.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The Romeo's can fly underwater.

Damn that is cool.

Would make a good military movie parody/outtake/lost on the cutting room floor.

"When I dive the helicopter I want you to make one ping, one ping only."

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bahhh...could have been worse....

505676321_8c93adfd9e_o.jpg

See link below for video.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Ok, let's say you didn't feel like getting into the charts. Do any of you helo drivers just bust out a quick power check? In other words, try holding a HOGE in a spot which allows a safe waveoff. If you can't hold that hover, you may need to re-evaluate. While in the nav it was all about the charts and pre-planning. I'll be honest. I very rarely break out the charts but then again our highest peak in San Diego County is below 7000 feet. Even so, heavy on fuel and gear, high temps and crazy mountain winds can work a crew pretty hard. The power check has been a pretty solid indicator of whether a landing or hover is going to be possible.