• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens After Selection

rbsbll09

STA-21 NFO Applicant
I am in AZAN, and the top ranked airman in my squadron, so i am trying to think on the positive side. I am wondering if anyone knows if the board was able to meet, or if they are having trouble becuase of the storms? Also, does anyone know how long after results come out do you start Boost or NSI?

Good Luck to everyone!!!

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Boost would likely start in Feb '09. NSI is completely random. Could start up right away, or you could be in one of the later classes. My understanding is that all they have is the three month boost now, and the longer one got nixed, however I could be wrong on that. Also, no clue if they met or not.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
I'm not sure if they met or not but hurricane season isn't over. Even if they did Ike is headed for land and there will definitely be more to follow. I really hope there are no delays with this cycle. Somebody from a previous year said due to a storm the results didn't come out until mid/late November. I'm getting impatient as well waiting for the results. What program option did you apply for?

rbsbll09

STA-21 NFO Applicant
I applied for the CORE Program becuase with my rank I dont have quite enough experience for pilot. My Admin O went through STA-21 and she said the CORE gears more towards Seamen, and I can get the Pilot community while in NROTC.

Does anyone know if the program looks at people who have been accepted to schools already and give them NSI orders ahead of others? i got into 2 schools and included that in the packet. my problem right now is that i am so anxious i am trying to fill the wait time by learning everything i can and being ahead of the committee. i figure its easier to plan now then when i am rushed later.

BOCOD

You should have applied for pilot and core. Don't ever let anyone tell you not to apply for something you meet the qualifications for. The only way you shoud listen to them is if you actually don't meet the requirements, such as being too old. Nothing says an E-3 can not apply for a pilot slot. I don't think they look at if you have been accepted to a school or not because they don't ask if you have already been accepted. It can never hurt to tell the board, it shows initiative. Good luck.

rbsbll09

STA-21 NFO Applicant
Thanks! i will keep all of that in mind and if need be i will definitely put in for pilot and core next year!

utak

I applied for the CORE Program becuase with my rank I dont have quite enough experience for pilot. My Admin O went through STA-21 and she said the CORE gears more towards Seamen, and I can get the Pilot community while in NROTC.

Does anyone know if the program looks at people who have been accepted to schools already and give them NSI orders ahead of others? i got into 2 schools and included that in the packet. my problem right now is that i am so anxious i am trying to fill the wait time by learning everything i can and being ahead of the committee. i figure its easier to plan now then when i am rushed later.

Your Admin O is full of it. What she said ranks up there in sheer ridiculous-ness with the NCC Chief who was telling his sailors that one had to already be a Chief before applying for Officer Candidate School.

It's called STA-21 for a good reason: Seaman to Admiral. Not Petty Officer First Class to Admiral, not Chief to Admiral.

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
I agree with BOCOD and nickUSN, your Admin O gave you horrible information. If you wanted pilot, you should have applied for it unless you couldn't qualify (ie: age, eyesight, physical, etc.). That's pretty messed up that an O in your squad would discourage you from pursuing what you want.

I wouldn't expect to get orders ahead of anyone else based on already being accepted to your school. I went through in Feb. with the first group and I had already been attending the University I wanted to go to. Other people in our class were changing schools while they were there at NSI and had little or no prior college, so it doesn't seem to matter much. I'm not sure what the criteria is for selecting when you'll go to NSI except that if they want to send you to BOOST first, you won't be in the first group of NSI.

ELT(SS)

This is the timeframe from last year
Early OCT results came out
Nov 15th physicals were due
Dec 15th school acceptance letters and degree plans were due, but late ones were taken all the up until NSI was almost over.
Orders came out from the first week in JAN to the first week in FEB
Feb 18th NSI started
Feb 25th Boost started
April 18th NSI ended
Boost ended in the summer
From the way it sounded NSI starts President's Day weekend for some reason.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Info from my selection (FY04):

1. You can apply to Core plus one community (pilot, SWO, etc.) so maximize your chances by applying to both unless its something you don't want, i.e. at the time you only qualify for SWO and you only want to fly.

2. I had already completed two years at my college before enlisting and had a standing re-admission, could finish my degree in 18 months, had no need for BOOST yet I still got into the last NSI class of the FY so I had to wait 11 months from selection to NSI. The only thing I can say for sure is that no one in that SEP-NOV NSI class went to BOOST.

3. As far as what happens next...be ready to flex. You may have to get everything in order and move in 2 months or you may sit around like I did...and it will probably take them a month or two to tell you which. Some Chief WILL give you great advice, another WILL hate you for being a "fvcking sell-out."

Good Luck! Its all worth it...STA-21 is the best program out there.

BOCOD

Info from my selection (FY04):

Some Chief WILL give you great advice, another WILL hate you for being a "fvcking sell-out."

This is so true. I was an ETC before selection results and got along with the Chiefs at my command. Then results came out and everything changed. Most guys were happy for me because I was getting a rare opportunity to advance my career more than they ever could. Others, like the CMC and other crusty old Chiefs were not so happy. I was called many names including sell out. Just a few weeks before when we were bringing in new Chiefs to the mess they were the ones preaching "Once a Chief, always a Chief." My advice is to ignore these few people and enjoy the opportunity you will get.

The name calling and childish remarks are not limited to just Chiefs, it gets dished out to all.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I had some similar experiences as BOCOD before leaving for NSI since I selected Chief right before the STA-21 results came out. The irony I saw was unreal, certain individuals giving you a rash of shit in front of the mess then behind closed doors those same guys admitting they wish they could be in your shoes with the same oportunity.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
I have a Chief who made it 2 years ago said during initiation the Chief's in charge asked for everybody who is going to/does have an Officer application in to step forward. From there those were the guys/gals who were always talked about; "you're to good to be a Chief?" or "why are you here?". He said they did a few extra tasks, kind of like making an example he thought. He didn't go into a lot of details so I don't know the extent of what he went through. Luckily he made LDO the year after he was selected for Chief.

That's to bad this kind of stuff happens at all regardless of what program the individual is doing. It sounds like it's more of a Chief to Officer thing but I'm sure it happens for blue shirts too. I'm an E-5 currently waiting on results for STA-21 and my command (Chiefs, Officers, and fellow blue shirts) have been nothing but supportive. All of them. Hopefully we learn something from all of this and eventually when we are in that situation (Div O, etc..) we can try to put a stop to it.

utak

I seen many a CCC Chief deliberately screw over E-3s and below who want to put in an O package. And in many ways: deliberately stack up the "Career Development Board" with Chiefs who didn't want to salute that E-3 with less time in service then they, deliberately send off packages missing vital stuff (like transcripts) knowing that it'll be rejected by the board, try to act passive aggressive asking what already has been discussed in this thread "Too good to want to be a Chief, huh?", or try to come up with the stupidest excuse to discourage him from applying ... which derives to stuff like "You have to be a Chief before applying first!" or "you have to finish your first enlistment to be eligable."

Don't know who is shadier . . . recruiters or CCCs ....

Cleonard19

Contributor
Even here at Nuclear Power school, where JO's grow on tree's, people never cease to give shit to an OC. A Guy in my power school class found out last week that his OCS package had gone through and was going to interview with Admiral Donald next month, and now, everyone gives him crap. Even the ENS and LTJG DIO's that serve as our instructors call attention on deck when he enters the room just to give him crap.

The only people that seem really supportive are A) those of us who also have packages in and B) the Chain of Command down to the Class Director.