• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What equipment is the marine rifleman assigned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawika109

Can anybody supply me with a complete list of the equipment, clothing and weapons the typical enlisted marine rifleman is given?

Thanks in advance.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
do all marines use m-4 carbine now? or are there some that still use the m-16? i thought m-16's would've been phased out by now (except for army.)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It's the army that's in love with the M4. The Marine Corps rejected the M4, except for Recon, in favor of another long-barrel M16 follow on. The M-16 will live forever.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, it's the Army that's M-4 happy. They see all the high-speed, low-drag units using them and get jealous. Marines are smarter than that and know the difference between a 14.5" and a 20" barrel ;)

kimphil

Originally posted by Fly Navy
Yeah, it's the Army that's M-4 happy. They see all the high-speed, low-drag units using them and get jealous. Marines are smarter than that and know the difference between a 14.5" and a 20" barrel ;)

In defense of the army, the M-4 is a weapon better suited for them. It's smaller and lighter, a big advantage over the M-16. The M-4's big disadvantage, it shorter range is negated by the fact that the army can't shoot anyway
jump_125.gif
!

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Naww... its just fact. Was out w/ my old reserve unit at Ft. Wolters (Its the nearest facility with a 500 yd range) for rifle qual. Also there were the ROTC kids from one of the nearby colleges. They just couldn't believe or understand how those Marines were digging the black from 500 yards away with steel sights.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, how is the M-4 really better suited for them? Most of the US Army isn't high-speed, close-combat forces.......or am I way off-base and need to update my US Army knowledge?

perchul

Well the Army has to do a bunch of policing and that will create more combat situations that occur in very close proximity or in buildings which is why the m4 was created, and the m4 looks cooler...Army needs all the recuitment ploys they can get their hands on

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good point on the policing actions. But the "looks cooler" factor has nothing to do with why a weapon should be chosen. The M-4 is a great weapon system, however, with current M855 ammo, beyond 150m or so, you lose a lot of fragmentation capability. Before you say "we never engage that far anymore", let me state my case-in-point: Afghanistan.

perchul

well I for one wasn't going to say that...but the looks cooler comment on my part wasn't mean to be taken seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.