• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What enlisted rates did most Navy Mustang pilots have before they commissioned?

BigLuvin

pilot
None
Take in consideration not everyone has the funds to simply go to colllege or want to put themselves in debt. We all have are reasons to go enlisted/officer. Although I did go to college first be I joined used my moms gi bill as her dependent to obtain my associates and the I enlisted, finished my bachelors within 6 months using TA/ and have 0 college debt. The amount of Cleo/Sophia courses, you can obtain a degree rather quickly. I said all that to say not every one situations the same, or maybe I’m getting to deep In it.
I literally enlisted because I was 1. Too poor to go to college. 2. I wanted to get the fuck out of Tennessee. Regardless, I agree every situation is different.

Magickal

I'm planning to Enlist first then commission once I finish my four years. What would be the adequate rate that would help you in getting commissioned and getting your wings?
Hi, to anyone else still on this thread, I forgot to take a look at this thread since I first posted it and it blew up but let me share my progress as of now..

I've lost 22 pounds since January to get into Basic Training. (i was about 190 pounds when I first posted this, now 171 lbs). My height is 67 inches

I got a Contract as AM (Aircraft Structural Mechanic) and I now ship out on August 3, but AM isn't the rate I was planning for, I used AM as a placeholder because my recruiter and I are still planning to change my rate, the reason we're doing this is because I still need to renounce my Filipino citizenship (which I'm in process in doing this week) to attain TS clearance for the rates I was interested in. Then I could change my rates after I've informed my Recruiter that I've removed my Filipino citizenship

I scored well on the PiCAT first try, and passed the Verification test at MEPS (my results below)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1655740792128.jpg
    FB_IMG_1655740792128.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 12

Magickal

If you want to be an Officer then be an Officer. The only thing enlisting does is give you another commitment to fulfill, which chips away at the eligibility age. In a blink of an eye you'll be sweating the programs max age. Ask me how I know....

I will admit that I didn't have the maturity or grades to go to college out of high school and enlisting did help with that. But if you have the background to support going to college/OCS/ROTC, then by all means make that your priority.

To answer your question. I was an AE. Not that it mattered to the STA-21 board.

Sorry for not replying since January, but my reasons for enlisting first and my situation overall is a bit complicated.

i'd like to clarify by inserting another thread I posted in the Navy DEP Forum so you guys could understand

Here you go

Magickal

For the official record @Magickal I enlisted as an 03 infantry type in the Corps. I was just kidding above…don’t go boats. While I agree with the input that says just go to college first, if you need school and want to fly, follow the AE path in the Navy or take the test to actually fly for the Army.
I'd like to clarify my reasons and my situation through another thread I posted in the Navy DEP Forum

Magickal

Sorry for not replying so soon, here's a post I made in another forum to clarify my situation.

If you want to are dead set on being in the service as an officer, I would shoot for an NROTC scholarship, or starting at college with a unit and trying to pick up a scholarship (you have until the end of your sophomore year). If you are looking to get away for personal reasons, maybe do what my father did and do dual full time college student and part time military via the Air Guard. They paid for his expenses, and then he only owed a small commitment of two years by the time he graduated. At that time you could get out and put in for OCS.

Magickal

Thanks dude, also sorry for not replying so soon
While I still agree with everyone above (commission if you can), there are some benefits to prior enlisted time:
  • STA-21 paid for my BS, so no debt.
  • I commissioned at 5 years of service, so I could've retired as an O4 after 15 years of commissioned service (YCS), so the O-5 non-CO sea tour was never a real threat to me.
  • If I manage to pick up O6 and stay in to the statutory limit (30 YCS), that will be 35 years total service or 87.5% retirement instead of 75%.
  • I have experience and context to call BS when I hear it from enlisted folks (this doesn't happen much)
But still, commission if you can.

Magickal

I literally enlisted because I was 1. Too poor to go to college. 2. I wanted to get the fuck out of Tennessee. Regardless, I agree every situation is different.
Oh my Situation sure is different

Heres a post to explain myself

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I used AM as a placeholder because my recruiter and I are still planning to change my rate,
I hope you enjoy being an AM because if that’s what you signed for, there’s no incentive for the recruiter to change it.

Was the conversation something like ‘let’s get you signed up now, just to get the paperwork done, and then we’ll change it later?’

It’s not impossible to change, but don’t be surprised if it doesn’t change, especially with a ship date a little over a month away.

BDavis11

Contributor
I hope you enjoy being an AM because if that’s what you signed for, there’s no incentive for the recruiter to change it.

Was the conversation something like ‘let’s get you signed up now, just to get the paperwork done, and then we’ll change it later?’

It’s not impossible to change, but don’t be surprised if it doesn’t change, especially with a ship date a little over a month away.
Classic case of "let me fill my quota for the month" lol

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I used AM as a placeholder because my recruiter and I are still planning to change my rate,

The only guarantees in the Navy are in writing; therefore, you will most likely end up as an AM.

BDavis11

Contributor
The only guarantees in the Navy are in writing; therefore, you will most likely end up as an AM.
He shoulda came back to this sight and ask a few of us who have been around the way smh. No such thing as a “placeholder”. AMAR MAGICKAL

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
He shoulda came back to this sight and ask a few of us who have been around the way smh. No such thing as a “placeholder”. AMAR MAGICKAL
It depends. If you’re wanting to be a specwar, you can’t pick that straight meps, so you have to pick a rate. Once you are in the dep program you are now allowed to workout with the specwar scout and complete a pst to get selected for said specwar rate.

2nd we tell applicants to pick a rate at meps because what we won’t do is continue to send you to meps for you to be “qualified no enlistment” “QNE” to be sent back down there. Plus you will have to convince the Chief Recruiter “Master Chief” to send you back down there. The navy spends $100s in hotels, meal vouchers, etc. Applicants are there to join the Navy. While you are in the program allow recruiters to work their magic and send a request to change said rate because these conversations are being said higher than the recruiter. I switched somebody’s rate 3 times in a two month time spans and they ended up wanting to get the rate they originally signed for because of the bonus which was already offered from the get go.