• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What enlisted rates did most Navy Mustang pilots have before they commissioned?

Magickal

I'm planning to Enlist first then commission once I finish my four years. What would be the adequate rate that would help you in getting commissioned and getting your wings?

OscarMyers

None
If you want to be an Officer then be an Officer. The only thing enlisting does is give you another commitment to fulfill, which chips away at the eligibility age. In a blink of an eye you'll be sweating the programs max age. Ask me how I know....

I will admit that I didn't have the maturity or grades to go to college out of high school and enlisting did help with that. But if you have the background to support going to college/OCS/ROTC, then by all means make that your priority.

To answer your question. I was an AE. Not that it mattered to the STA-21 board.

exNavyOffRec

I'm planning to Enlist first then commission once I finish my four years. What would be the adequate rate that would help you in getting commissioned and getting your wings?
I would go for surface nuke, they get the best pay, have the best morale, the best quality of life, and are overall just happy people.

I also have oceanfront property in Nevada for sale at a low price.

Listen to @OscarMyers and @FormerRecruitingGuru

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
For the official record @Magickal I enlisted as an 03 infantry type in the Corps. I was just kidding above…don’t go boats. While I agree with the input that says just go to college first, if you need school and want to fly, follow the AE path in the Navy or take the test to actually fly for the Army.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
We apparently have a lot of prior E's here. Don't let that confuse you, as they say themselves. Becoming a pilot is not the percentage solution for most. I've had exactly 1 (one) former sailor, from the fleet, who got aviator wings eventually.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
If you want to are dead set on being in the service as an officer, I would shoot for an NROTC scholarship, or starting at college with a unit and trying to pick up a scholarship (you have until the end of your sophomore year). If you are looking to get away for personal reasons, maybe do what my father did and do dual full time college student and part time military via the Air Guard. They paid for his expenses, and then he only owed a small commitment of two years by the time he graduated. At that time you could get out and put in for OCS.