• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What does it mean to want to be a Marine Officer?

kite

Beach FEX
I know the USMC section on this site sees a fair bit less activity, but I wanted to ask a a question: What does it mean to want to be a Marine Officer?

3. If you want to fly go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines. If you want to go airlines in the future go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines. If you want quality of life go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines. If you want to spend time with your family go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines.

I ask as someone looking to earn a commission at either Navy or Marine OCS, and hopefully end up in Pensacola shortly thereafter. I don't want to turn this into another Navy vs USMC thread (I've read just about every one I could find), but I am curious as to what it means to want to be a Marine Officer. When I look at the Navy vs Marines decision, I feel like my reasons for going Marines would be a little superficial:
  • TBS looks fun
  • All of the long-shot dream tours in the Navy could be pursued as a Marine (NPS, TPS, etc)
  • Preferred CONUS installation locations
  • A FAC tour or other B-Billet looks way more appealing than a non-flying job on a boat
  • Leadership opportunities/experience look pretty similar as an aviator
However, none of these, or any other reason I would have for choosing Marines over Navy really scream "want to be a Marine Officer" to me. Adding to that, I've spent a fair bit of time around Navy bases and sailors/veterans (mostly on the enlisted side), and their perspective of the Marines has been as the cultish branch that doesn't care about it's members, while my only experience with the Marines has been the Miramar air show.

Anyways, yell at me if this has already been answered and I've just missed the thread (preferably with a link), but I would definitely appreciate any perspective this forum could provide.

Thanks and happy thanksgiving!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I know the USMC section on this site sees a fair bit less activity, but I wanted to ask a a question: What does it mean to want to be a Marine Officer?

I ask as someone looking to earn a commission at either Navy or Marine OCS, and hopefully end up in Pensacola shortly thereafter. I don't want to turn this into another Navy vs USMC thread (I've read just about every one I could find), but I am curious as to what it means to want to be a Marine Officer. When I look at the Navy vs Marines decision, I feel like my reasons for going Marines would be a little superficial:
  • TBS looks fun
  • All of the long-shot dream tours in the Navy could be pursued as a Marine (NPS, TPS, etc)
  • Preferred CONUS installation locations
  • A FAC tour or other B-Billet looks way more appealing than a non-flying job on a boat
  • Leadership opportunities/experience look pretty similar as an aviator
However, none of these, or any other reason I would have for choosing Marines over Navy really scream "want to be a Marine Officer" to me. Adding to that, I've spent a fair bit of time around Navy bases and sailors/veterans (mostly on the enlisted side), and their perspective of the Marines has been as the cultish branch that doesn't care about it's members, while my only experience with the Marines has been the Miramar air show.

Anyways, yell at me if this has already been answered and I've just missed the thread (preferably with a link), but I would definitely appreciate any perspective this forum could provide.

Thanks and happy thanksgiving!

You ask too many questions that have been answered by the internet numerous times since Al Gore invented it...

The Marine Corps lifestyle is very different from the Navy.

TBS isn't fun.

You'll likely live on a boat if you're a Marine. The Marine Corps still has plenty of non-flying tours where you spent a large majority of your time on a boat (MEU Staff).

The division runs the Marine Corps. Aviation is secondary to that.

Goodfou

In general, Cultish? Yes. Eat their own? Yes.

Don’t be a Marine, unless you want to be a Marine. The superficial reasons you mentioned don’t justify it. Marines join that branch because they have bought into the idea that “the Marines are varsity and the Navy/Army/chair force, are junior varsity.” If you want to feel like you are the best because that is what you are told everyday, go USMC. If you are comfortable with your manhood and don’t need to have that eagle globe and anchor tattoo in order to feel tough, I’d shy away from USMC.
Side note, there are good deals and bad deals in every branch so don’t assume anything. It is all what you make of it, except Yuma. Marines spend a lot of time in Yuma!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Don’t be a Marine, unless you want to be a Marine. The superficial reasons you mentioned don’t justify it. Marines join that branch because they have bought into the idea that “the Marines are varsity and the Navy/Army/chair force, are junior varsity.” If you want to feel like you are the best because that is what you are told everyday, go USMC. If you are comfortable with your manhood and don’t need to have that eagle globe and anchor tattoo in order to feel tough, I’d shy away from USMC.
Side note, there are good deals and bad deals in every branch so don’t assume anything. It is all what you make of it, except Yuma. Marines spend a lot of time in Yuma!

I joined the Marine Corps solely because it was the first service to offer me a pilot slot. It worked out okay for me.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor

This is the dumbest fucking post on this site I've seen in awhile.

No, typically Marines don't spend a lot of time in Yuma.

You're other observations are trite and hackneyed. Did you just get done watching A Few Good Men and post this?