• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What does it mean to want to be a Marine Officer?

Goodfou

Did a Marine steal your girlfriend or something?

Yuma ain't that bad man. It's got some good food and beer, the public golf course is pretty nice, and the town generally likes the military being there. It's too bad that the German folks retired and couldn't find a buyer for their restaurant. But Yuma isn't bad. I'd put it on par with New Bern. While El Centro has a nicer pool, and transient housing, and go karts, the town of Yuma beats El Centro any day.

I’m sure there’s nothing wrong with the town. My comments about it were in jest. Filtering through all my crap talking, I firmly believe one should join the Marines because they want to be a Marine first, not because they want to fly. Just my opinion. Also, for the third time, it is all what you make of it, in any branch.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I think you might be looking for this:

Dan Carlin, as always, has a superb description. Pick it up at the 3 hr and 5 minute mark on the Supernova in the East, Part IV.

Funny story...

When I was 18 I knew college wasn’t quite ready for me so I went to the recruiting office. I took the ASVAB and did quite well so the “crimp” pulled out a sheet, like a menu, and said I could enlist for any job on there. I looked around a bit and landed on C-130 aerial navigator (was an enlisted job in the Corps, might still be) so the “crimp” says, “Great, I’ll get some paperwork together and you watch this!” The movie was the one shown here and by the end, when the recruiter came back I shouted, “To hell with that...I want to be like those guys!” I think I actually saw the guy yank the emotional reel so the hook was set and I was soon a grunt!

Never regretted it.

Goodfou

I didn’t realize the Navy spent all their time in the Seychelles, Rota, and Scotland. Seriously, just STFU.

Ive flown USMC aircraft and overnighted in every place you listed except the Seychelles (sub Honduras for El Salvador) including Navy garden spots like El Centro and Lemoore. Also, I’d rather be in Yuma than Nola and of course your idiotic suggestion of Djibouti

Funny, I didn’t realize the Marines spend ALL their time in downtown Yuma. Then again, I never said that. Not that I owe you an explanation, but I enjoyed the mission in Djibouti which no doubt influenced my opinion of the place. That and the great food. Which brings back to my original point. It is all what you make of it, no matter the branch, but don’t join the marines unless you want to be a marine, first. Not just for a pilot contract. My opinion. Just because you and JTS are ate up, doesn’t invalidate other opinions.

side note, must suck to only get an RON. I spent weeks to months in all those places (save Rota. Only spent 3 days there), plus many others way nicer than Yuma.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Funny, I didn’t realize the Marines spend ALL their time in downtown Yuma. Then again, I never said that. Not that I owe you an explanation, but I enjoyed the mission in Djibouti which no doubt influenced my opinion of the place. That and the great food. Which brings back to my original point. It is all what you make of it, no matter the branch, but don’t join the marines unless you want to be a marine, first. Not just for a pilot contract. My opinion. Just because you and JTS are ate up, doesn’t invalidate other opinions.

side note, must suck to only get an RON. I spent weeks to months in all those places (save Rota. Only spent 3 days there), plus many others way nicer than Yuma.
No one here is “ate up”, they are telling you you sound like a dipshit. And yeah I’ve spent more than one day at many of the super glamorous locations you tried to brag about. Every other day was spent in Yuma where some guy on the internet told me Marines spend a lot of time.