• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do you think is the best Navy automobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh yes, JEEP does equal Just Empty Every Pocket...for the shear reason that it has have the most aftermarket toys of any truck...well that's my perception, I haven't seen nearly the same amount for any other truck.

Explain all the CJ's running around then. (Yes yes, they weren't made by Crystler, but at the same time, they are American heeps, so you say).

Tacoma is a nice truck, but it's not a Jeep ;)

What do you think of the 4Runners?

riley

I'm sorry, but if you were at the beginning of the Rubicon trail - everyone would laugh if you pulled up next to a jeep driving a Toyota Tacoma - don't get me wrong - Like Fly Navy said, Tacoma's are great trucks - their only problem is that they aren't jeeps.

On a different subject - I like the first 4Runners (I think '84?) - the ones that had the removable hardtop behind the front seats. That is a cool truck...

grouch

Yes they would laugh on the Rubicon if you showed up in a stock Taco, just as they would laugh if you showed up in a stock Wrangler or Cherokee. There are Tacomas out there that can do things Jeeps can't due to the Jeep's short wheel base. My Taco isn't Rubicon ready but I can carry 10X what you can on a camping/fishing trip which is what I bought my truck for. Jeeps are very fine automobiles, I used to own an XJ and loved it dearly. The taco just suits me better. Damn sexy truck I tell you. No Tacoma on the Rubicon? Well then, find me a TJ that can run the Baja 250, 500, and 1000. You see Tacomas in class 7 all day long.

On the 4 runner thing, they aren't what they used to be. They have changed into a super yuppy mobile. They are still pretty trail capable, fast, sleek and powerful but they have too many electro gizmos on them for my taste. I would drive one but I would still want to have a more trail worthy rig. On the aftermarket front, the Tacoma has a ton, you just have to know where to look and what to look for.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, that Taco (nice nickname) and the Jeep were built for different purposes. Let's stay united and fight these Ricer fags ;)

Enrique

GATORNFO. (thanks). See I drive a Chevy Nova. Hell yea my girl friends call (Casa Nova). It has room in the back (that's good for me)
bouncy_125.gif
. I'm just a college guy, so you know every body did there thing in college
graduate_125.gif
, but somes time you don't have time for everything and u got use the back..
eyebrows_125.gif

I hope next year I get my 442. that will be nice..
batman_125.gif
or a old jeep from TJ mexico and rebuild the damm thing and kee it for a long time.. but I need to pay college first.

Trucks are cool but... you waste to much GAS when you have. The back door closed and it makes alot drag..and if you open the door, you will get a stu
censored_125.gif
id tiket..so I guess jeeps are best.. Plus with Jeeps you can get small Uhual and drive your stuff.

And if you really want a cool old car (classic)go to some border town of mexico and look at the old car or the hold harley's. And You can buy them with little dinero, And rebuild them here in USA. And you save some money and you can make money if you sale them.. If you don't want an old car, and you want a brand new DODGE etc.. you can buy one too.. you pay less.. so there you go.. by anything you want. The only thin you will pay in the U.S is taxes to the DMV just to get a plate..

Well there alot way to get cool car with bling bling if thats what you want.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
2.0 Volvo still has their own seperate military sales program, even thought they are owned by Ford now. The only cars you can get through the Exchange are 'domestic' like GM or Harley. Even though DamlierChrysler is one company, you cannot get Mercedes through the program. It really does not matter that much though, it is just nice to know that you can get a great deal on a car simply because you are in the military.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That NEX deal really is sweet. I like the sound of that. That's new info to me.

Then again, I hate car payments, I won't be buying another unless I really have to.

navsup

BDCP Supply
how do you my them through exchange? I have heard of people buying a harley on cruise and bringing it back on the ship, how hard is it to do that?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know firsthand, but I heard that the way it works is you specifiy a dealer that you would like your vehicle delivered to. When your deployment is over you just go pick it up.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is usually an office in the exchange that says 'Exchange Auto sales' or something along those lines. Sometimes they have a person there full time but often it is one guy going to several different bases and he is there 2 or 3 days a week. On the Connie, the guy set up shop for a few days in one of the galleys and just had a table, a sign and a laptop. You can order any make from him (or her), they work for the exchange and not a particular car company. Once you order and finance the car then you can specify where you want it to go. I know you can have it delivered to a port, I don't know about a particular car dealer. If the port is a few hours away, it will let you break in your new car anyways! Delivery is free though.

zilber

pilot
Originally posted by bcgeib
OCS has a no motorcycle rule and I heard that API does too. Besides that, what would I do with it on deployment?

Can someone confirm that API has a no motorcycle rule? I am reporting there on Friday. Thanks.

Zilby

Fatboy

pilot
I left API in August and I was riding to work the last two weeks everyday. Plus at one point one of the instructors asked who rode in the class and wanted to give the wear your safety gear lecture.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Just go through the course. It sucks, but sign up through the safety office, and it is free. If you don't have a bike, they've got 4 of them, its all still free.
A good thing that they do it. I went through it last weekend, one of the docs (Navy LT) was there, I don't think he had ever ridden a bicycle. He quit after the second day – if he bought the bike first, he would be dead.
The difference between OCS and API is that little thing on your collar. You should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.